Why does my desktop screen keep flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

After updating to Windows 10 turned my computer ont his morning and signed in. Now desktop screen appears but keeps blacking out and reloading. Unable to open anything and tried rebooting, still happening

Phackes

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I gladly do this, but my Service tab list contains neither "Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support" nor "Windows Error Report Service" as tasks.

What now?

Thanks.

- Peter

Phackes

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I would gladly do this, but my Service tab list contains neither "Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support" nor "Windows Error Report Service" as tasks.

What now?

Thanks.

- Peter

nj07208

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

This thread is full of Single Post posters suggesting disabling the Problem Reporting service... This is the most unbelievable solution I've heard in a while to any issue.... Are mods sure this isn't fake?

georgieboy26

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
after installing win10, my problem is a little different, I keep getting a small square at top right of screen that keeps blinking on/off at 20 second intervals, I can use the pc and all the apps, but it is annoying....anyone else

gkraus74

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Desktop screen keeps flashing after installing Windows 10 and can't open anything

It REALLY works. NualaMa's fix of disabling 2 services fixed my neighbors Flashing screen after installing Windows 10 on his desktop HP system.

themaniam1

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I could not get any mouse clicks to work so I could type msconfig. So I held done the Right shift button until it asked me if I wanted to change the Keyboard Filter. I clicked on the link and was able to get to the Control Panel. Then I went to services and Disabled the two services that NualaMa's fix said to. Fixed the problem. Thanks NualaMa for the fix and Buffalocook for informing us of NualaMa's fix.

Igmarg

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
To: Phacakes:
Are you sure you're looking at the correct "Services" tab? You want the services tab in System Configuration window that appears when you run msconfig.exe, not the services tab in Task Manager. The System Configuration window may have opened behind your Task Manager window.

Igmarg

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
NualaMa's fix can be applied with your computer in Safe Mode. So ... if you cannot type msconfig.exe because your screen is flashing too fast, enter safe mode. Here's how ...
1. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL
2. Click the power button on the lower right
3. Hold the SHIFT key and select the Restart
4. Select Troubleshoot
5. Select Advanced options
6. Select Startup Settings
7. Click Restart
On startup, there will be a list of start-up options, including safe mode. Once in Safe Mode ...
8. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL
9. Select Task Manager
10. From the "File" menu, select Run New Task
11. In the "Open" window, type msconfig and click OK
The System Configuration Window may open behind your task manager window. If so, close Windows Task Manager.
12. Click the "Services Tab"
13. Sort the list alphabetically by clicking the "Service" column heading.
14. Scroll down and uncheck "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support" scroll further and uncheck "Windows Error Reporting Service"
15. Click "Apply" then "OK"
16. Select "Restart"

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Don't know who posted this but THANK YOU!!!!!!! My computer is up and running. I couldn't find the (1) but stopped (2) and I'm back in business!!!! Thanks again!

I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

WTBurton

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I installed the Windows 10 Update last night and it happened to me too; the screen flickering on and off at, and before the sign-in screen. I was really hoping that for once a shiney new version of Windows would actually live up to the hype but instead I was just frustrated for a couple of hours looking for a fix.

I found several fixes in this forum and others but the one that worked for me was simply uninstalling Aero Glass and it worked right away. From what I have read Aero Glass is not included in Windows 10 and supposedly was not part of 8.1 either so I must have installed it separately in the past. Another helpful hint I found was using Alt-Ctrl-Del to stabilize the system temporarily. It didn?t work every time for some reason but did on 2 reboots and that was enough to at least get it to stop long enough to allow me to get to where I needed to try the fixes.

I also tried removing the 2 Microsoft Update items in the services menu (you can find that suggestion in this thread) but that did not work for me although many found it did work for them, meaning there are several bugs that might cause this.. I was going to try another fix I found which is uninstalling the GeForce Experience program or loading and older or newer graphic driver but I fixed it before needing to do that thankfully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss