Groove Music cannot seem to find all my music. How can I get this working?

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Groove Music cannot seem to find all my music.

I pointed Groove Music to my music library and it is struggling to find my all my music. Help me figure out what I might be doing wrong.

All my music is non-protected mp3 - plex indexes the library just fine. I have my music organized in folders by band -> album -> songs. Maybe a quarter of my wounds are being indexed.

If I go to a song directly in the file structure it play fine in Groove. Anyone else having trouble getting Groove to index a moderately sized library?

Also - I noticed a song listed as "removed at the request of the copyright holder". I have the physical cd's for all this music, so I am pretty confused at the moment.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: Groove Music cannot seem to find all my music.

I have over 1500 songs in my collection and as far as I know everything is running perfectly smooth. Of course, I haven't gone in and checked for all nearly 1600 songs...but still. It took time but it did it well.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

I just did a check and it seems that Groove Music actually has one EXTRA song...strange, haha. I still have Windows Media Player so it was a quick check to see how much my entire collection is then compare it to Groove. Looks like I have no issues. Try going to Task Manager, ending Groove (don't just exit out properly close it through Task Manager) then start it again. Also try removing everything from your library and re-adding those folders.
If that doesn't work, just copy all your music to your desktop (might as well create a good backup while you're at it) and see if Groove finds everything that way.

The problem isn't how you have all your folders organized, because I've organized mine like this:
Alphabet>Artists>Albums>Songs

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site

Good to know... I am running a test at the moment. I have most of my library on my NAS and mapped as a network share \\192.168.1.3\music. It might not like the network address and I may need remap to a drive letter.

At the moment, I am copying the whole thing to onedrive - we will see if that helps at all.

I was playing with Cortana and it is pretty cool to be able to request a song / album / artist by name.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site

So, I tried an experiment and moved my entire library into the OneDrive music - and it seems to be picking everything up. The problem I was experience is picking up the content on my network share.

So, next I want to point the app to an empty folder and reset the content - I want to see everything go away. Then I can try to redirect to my main library on my WD MyCloud device.

We will see...

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Where were you storing the music in the first place? It could very well have been Groove having issues with the location of the music. If that's the case definitely make sure to give Microsoft feedback about it. Actually just go give Microsoft all your knowledge about this issue because no one should have to go through this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos