Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 27

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I reserved my Windows 10 download on the first day I could but it still hasn't been delivered to my Dell XPS 27. I checked Dell's website with my service tag today and they acknowledge they haven't tested my machine with Windows 10. They also give no indication that they ever intend to make such a test. They don't say they won't either. They just say they haven't. My unit was made in late 2012 and has worked well except for replacing the hard drive about a year ago. None of the Del drivers for this machine are newer than August or October, 2013. I have all of these installed and there are no specific Windows 10 drivers for this machine either.

So with that background, I am guessing I will wait a long time for the W10 update to come to my machine automatically. I'm thinking of forcing the download in the next couple of days. Anyone else out there with a XPS 27 of the same vintage with Windows 10? Any issues? Advice? Thanks in advance.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The fact that you haven't received the update yet has absolutely nothing to do with Dell not having tested Windows 10 on your machine. It's not like Microsoft actually checks your machine type and the manufacturer's database of systems for Windows 10 support, those are two completely and entirely separate things, like trees and space ships :wink:

That said you might still be able to run Windows 10 without a hitch. I've installed it on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220 that doesn't even have official support for Windows 8.1 but runs just fine with an assortment of different drivers. You might have some deep digging ahead of you but most drivers will probably be provided by Microsoft out of the box.

tulak

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I was finally able to update my Dell XPS 8700!
Dell has absolutely nothing to with update I hope!
After update I went to Dell web side and let scan my PC and installed needed drivers.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I reserved my Windows 10 download on the first day I could but it still hasn't been delivered to my Dell XPS 27. I checked Dell's website with my service tag today and they acknowledge they haven't tested my machine with Windows 10. They also give no indication that they ever intend to make such a test. They don't say they won't either. They just say they haven't. My unit was made in late 2012 and has worked well except for replacing the hard drive about a year ago. None of the Del drivers for this machine are newer than August or October, 2013. I have all of these installed and there are no specific Windows 10 drivers for this machine either.

So with that background, I am guessing I will wait a long time for the W10 update to come to my machine automatically. I'm thinking of forcing the download in the next couple of days. Anyone else out there with a XPS 27 of the same vintage with Windows 10? Any issues? Advice? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 XPS 2720 touch which went through upgrade easily. I reserved late so on the 29th I forced the upgrade through Create Media Tool. Did your PC pass the Check Your PC in the Get Windows 10 taskbar icon?

WaverunningGeek

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I also have an Dell XPS 2720 and am still waiting for Microsoft to give the green light. I honestly don't see what the rush is. Probably better off waiting until the end of the year when TH2 is released since it will have all the features and bug fixes that weren't addressed before RTM.

mchonjb

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I also have an Dell XPS 2720 and am still waiting for Microsoft to give the green light. I honestly don't see what the rush is. Probably better off waiting until the end of the year when TH2 is released since it will have all the features and bug fixes that weren't addressed before RTM.

I also have the 2720 (touch). Windows 10 was ready to install on my machine on the first day...Are you still experiencing with this issue?

WaverunningGeek

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Gotta love the irony... TH2 BROKE the WiFi on two of my XPS 2720s. I had to go back to RTM and disable the Windows Update Service for a couple months till Microsoft got around to fixing the issue.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
just download the iso, double click on it, it will mount, then go open the fake disk, open setup or whatever green shiny nice icon you see, and from there its self explanatory, after upgrading you're free to revert back if you so desire, it will activate automatically most likely, and drivers will download and install automatically, no need to do anything