I was with my friend and he really wanted to update to win 10 on the spot so I hunted for a way to force install it. It turned out that it helped but what happened is that it will download the update and then fail to install.
    This is the guide I used:

How to force Windows to start downloading the Windows 10 update files | VentureBeat | Business | by Jeff Grubb && Emil Protalinski

Any way to solve this problem other than doing a fresh install off of a usb stick?
    08-04-2015 04:13 AM
    Make sure that the system locale (Control Panel -> Region -> Administrative tab) is in English US.
    Now try upgrading again.
    Either follow this Windows 10 upgrade not showing up yet? Here's how to manually trigger an update | Windows Central
    or
    this Official Windows 10 ISO files now available for download | Windows Central
    08-04-2015 08:27 AM
    I have yet to bother try the "force" method. I just grabbed an old 4GB USB Flash Drive and used the media creation tool. I carry it around with me, so when ever I see some one still on Windows 8 I just upgrade in place from USB.
    lovenokia likes this.
    08-04-2015 09:02 AM
    I have yet to bother try the "force" method. I just grabbed an old 4GB USB Flash Drive and used the media creation tool. I carry it around with me, so when ever I see some one still on Windows 8 I just upgrade in place from USB.
    I am going to try that right now. I think that is going to be the only way that I am going to be able to get it to install.
    08-06-2015 01:54 AM
    I recommend to wait until you get notified that the update is ready, mine came two days ago, my girlfriends yesterday.
    08-06-2015 02:08 AM
    Just download the ISO from windows using the tool they provide.Choose to save the ISO somewhere where you know you can easily access it.Mount the ISO to a virtual drive(there are free tools to do this).Then upgrade from the setup file.You should burn the ISO to DVD before upgrading if you want a clean install after the upgrade.This is easy and stress free and you don't have to sacrifice a USB stick.Just make sure you upgrade from the correct version of windows(ie Home,pro) and the correct architecture(32,64)You don't need to reserve or wait for your reservation to download
    08-06-2015 02:13 AM
    Just download the ISO from windows using the tool they provide.Choose to save the ISO somewhere where you know you can easily access it.Mount the ISO to a virtual drive(there are free tools to do this).Then upgrade from the setup file.You should burn the ISO to DVD before upgrading if you want a clean install after the upgrade.This is easy and stress free and you don't have to sacrifice a USB stick.Just make sure you upgrade from the correct version of windows(ie Home,pro) and the correct architecture(32,64)You don't need to reserve or wait for your reservation to download
    I have bigger problems now. The notification told me that windows 10 is ready to download. It downloaded but I keep getting an error code when trying to install. Now I downloaded win10 to a usb stick and there is absolutely no option to boot to usb drive in the advanced boot settings. I keep getting an error when I try to do that. So now I found out when he installed the win10 tp after advising him not to install it, he deleted the recovery partition. I am attempted to reset the computer and see if the problem can be solved that way, but not even that is working.
    08-06-2015 04:21 PM
    I have bigger problems now. The notification told me that windows 10 is ready to download. It downloaded but I keep getting an error code when trying to install. Now I downloaded win10 to a usb stick and there is absolutely no option to boot to usb drive in the advanced boot settings. I keep getting an error when I try to do that. So now I found out when he installed the win10 tp after advising him not to install it, he deleted the recovery partition. I am attempted to reset the computer and see if the problem can be solved that way, but not even that is working.
    I had problems booting from USB also.I Just made a bootable dvd from the ISO which worked great
    08-07-2015 07:43 AM