My Top Ten reasons Store Apps are preferred over Desktop Apps

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My Top Ten reasons Store Apps are preferred over Desktop Apps

I know what you're thinking. How can a store app be better than a desktop app? Well, the title doesn't say "better", it says "preferred". Read the list, and I'm sure you'll get an idea of the difference I'm talking about.

10. A store app has the capability to do everything a desktop app can do, IF the app developer works at it.
9. Universal Windows Apps are safer. They are obtained by using the Store, and you don't have to worry about viruses from the store apps.
8. Store apps do not slow down your system over time the way Desktop Apps can. They don't use the registry, and don't leave behind traces of files that never get cleaned up like many bad behaved desktop apps do. Reinstalling the OS every year can be a thing of the past.
7. Uninstalling a store app leaves NO traces behind and no clutter in your registry. It uninstalls everything contained it the sandbox for that app. Cleaner uninstall. With Desktop apps, you have to use a 3rd party program to track down and eliminate the traces, and sometimes accidentally kill files that other programs were dependent upon.
6. New Universal Apps for Windows 10 can scale to different screen sizes, resolutions, and DPI better. Desktop apps often become unreadable or unmanageable when attempting to scale to different DPI settings, and often the text on buttons will be cut-off or displayed incorrectly.
5. You can use the input of your choice using Universal Windows Apps. Apps built for Windows 10 can automatically adjust the methods of input depending on the input methods available and the device it resides on. Gamepad, mouse, trackpad, touchscreen, pen, keyboard, etc. will all be utilized where available. With Desktop apps, you're limited to keyboard and mouse.
4. Windows Apps can vary between advanced with lots of features (Excel Mobile, Word Mobile, etc.) to simple (GasBuddy, Weather, etc.). Either way, you can open them up quickly and easily and get things done faster, often with less system resources being utilized.
3. Notifications. It is easy for a Windows app to give you notifications and have them integrated into the notification center. Desktop Apps have to run an additional service that uses resources.
2. Better utilization of resources. An app that replaces a web page that you visit often will not use as much of your system resources and can perform faster than the web page. Sure, a browser can in most instances offer a more complete solution for now, but you don't always need the full functionality, and sometimes you just need quick, efficient access.
1. Live Tiles. Information at a glance without having to open an app, whether Windows app or Desktop app.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Some great points.

How about Buy it once and deploy it across devices?

I purchased NOAA Hi-Def Radar for my phone. LOVE the Live Tile. LOVE it. So handy to just glance at the tile without entering the app and you have a radar picture. My house is even "pinned" as a red dot.

Bought it for the phone. Now it's on my Desktop and my RT tablet for free. Super value.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786