The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-02-2016 04:21 PM
131 1234 ...
tools
    Yes this worked for me. After the first process I lost my mouse and had to use plug in mouse but then it restored everything as you said. Thank you very much I can recommend this
    08-24-2015 11:03 AM
    I got this error earlier today, but the problem is that my computer and everything on it were working perfectly until this happened. What DID happen, though, is that I tried to download a picture from my gmail from my mom to print off, and then it all crashed, and I got this error. The only antivirus that I have is Malwarebytes, if that even is counted as an antivirus. Any ideas?
    08-24-2015 03:05 PM
    Found an easier way for me, just restarted the computer and then pressed F4 to get into BIOS and then changed the date to 2 days earlier, works fine for me after that.
    08-24-2015 03:17 PM
    Win 10. I've wasted more time than you can imagine. First I lost access to loads of stuff in folders. Outlook kept telling me I didn't have permissions. I finally sorted this by resetting permissions. Finally found a link that worked. Now suddenly I have lost the windows (bottom left). Clicking on it should bring up the apps and manager. Quick flash of the rotating blue wait thing then nothing. The edge button brings up a blue screen which does nothing. Using an email link from outlook used to work. Now it brings up the edge screen and tells me I can't go to the link (Typical example the link from the forum). I do not have Avast whatever that is although I have Norton 360 and Malware bytes. I tried the w/admin privileges. above. That got me nowhere.
    I am not a computer techie and I feel that all these workarounds that are all over the place will just get me deeper in the mire. Is this a Microsoft problem or is it just me. And I'm not sure what Cortana is but she doesn't appear anywhere on my machine.
    I think I might just give up soon as my stress levels are already too high. Is this something that an update will fix and should I sit and wait.??
    tonyr6 likes this.
    08-24-2015 04:04 PM
    I don't even have Avast installed. Safe mode didn't fix it and now I have no solution left. :\

Why Microsoft doesn't come up with a fix for this?
    tonyr6 likes this.
    08-24-2015 05:58 PM
    Tried this twice. Did NOT resolve the issue.
    08-24-2015 06:07 PM
    Trouble is, the more I stumble about with the advice given, the worse it gets. Switched over by accident to something that removed all my desktop icons and left me with a dull background. Took me ages to work out I had gone into tablet mode. No indication so how was I supposed to know this. Finally managed to work out a solution to switch off tablet. Microsoft, come on chaps some of us are users not computer buffs.
    08-25-2015 02:50 AM
    this solution worked perfectly for me, many thanks, much appreciated
    08-25-2015 03:07 AM
    I do not have Avast I use Trend Micro. I tried the fix suggested and nothing worked. Open for more ideas.
    08-25-2015 10:17 PM
    Well, I tried everything earlier on my DESKTOP to get rid of the Critical Message that Cortana and Start Menu were not working. Most frustratingly, I couldn't perform certain "fixes" because the Critical Message was bang in the centre of the screen and I couldn't type anything into Task Manager, etc.! I also couldn't boot into Safe Mode, so was just about to give up and call in the expert, when I had one final idea which worked. All I did was force shutdown by holding down the "Start" button, then rebooted my router by turning it off and on again at the switch. Voila ... when I turned the p.c. on again, I was back in! I know what to do now if it happens again, which I'm sure it will as this is the second time already. I've spent many hours (like many) trying to put various things right now Windows 10 is installed. I lost all my Windows Live emails, had no sound and a corrupt start menu. Absolute nightmare! ...
    Last edited by Mimi1998; 08-26-2015 at 07:56 AM.
    08-26-2015 05:50 AM
    I don't have a critical message, they just don't work. I have a win 10 system with a win 7 screen ability. Although the win 10 stuff is there, none of them work including Edge. Store opens and then closes with just a blue screen with a logo in the centre. As my machine is no worse off than it was with 7 I might just stay with it and stop there.
    08-26-2015 03:42 PM
    I had the same issue on my SP2 after a recent update, even under Safe Mode nothing worked. :(

I found this site that lists a number of things to try. From those tips restarting the Application Identity service restored my desktop and the Get-AppXPackage ... PowerShell script restored Start Menu and Action Center.

Good luck.
    08-27-2015 12:07 AM
    Well, tried fourth fix from Phelme.
    Wndows Powershell (Admin)
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
    Enter and away it went.
    Told me it had not dealt with 39 somethings but as I wasn't really watching not sure what.
    When it had finished, closed it down and Voila! it worked.
    Everything seems OK so far and the other win 10 task bar icons worked.
    I didn't get Cortana but I didn't want her anyway, she's far too young for me and I prefer the older Google for the web.
    All I have to do now is find out how to reduce it from full screen but I don't want to risk it tonight. My nerves won't stand it.
    08-27-2015 02:08 PM
    I don't have a critical message, they just don't work. I have a win 10 system with a win 7 screen ability. Although the win 10 stuff is there, none of them work including Edge. Store opens and then closes with just a blue screen with a logo in the centre. As my machine is no worse off than it was with 7 I might just stay with it and stop there.
    That's my problem. It think it is just corrupted. No idead how to fix it.
    08-27-2015 04:43 PM
    IT WORKED!

Thank you so much.
    08-28-2015 03:45 PM
    Worked great. Thanks for the post.
    08-28-2015 08:24 PM
    After trying a ton of "fixes" I read somewhere that it was a problem with the actual user.

Since you can't open start, just right click the start icon and choose Control Panel. Choose User Accounts until you get to the Make changes to your user account screen. Choose Manage another account Add a new user account in PC settings (an admin, of course). Do a reboot, and the problem is totally gone!

Please keep in mind that you will lose your info if you delete the user without backing up first. Just navigate to the old user account and backup any needed files. You could also wait for MS to fix this issue and reactivate the old user then.

I hope this helps someone!
    Bluerain likes this.
    08-29-2015 09:56 AM
    Thank you so much. Uninstalling Avast as you instructed fixed the problem for me.
    08-30-2015 04:04 PM
    Nice to find this fix.. have had many niggles with W10 but this was by far the most annoying, and this fix worked perfectly.
    Pity about Avast.. I prefer this to any other security software.
    08-31-2015 09:51 PM
    Excellent solution thanks Foxbatt !! . It worked for me No need to uninstall my Avast installation. I hope it lasts long enough for Avast to bring out a patch.

no need to uninstall anything, i also run Avast and all i did was do this..

crt alt del to bring up task manager
    click file
    run new task
    enter msconfig w/admin privileges
    go to boot section, click on safeboot and network
    ok to restart
    after restart just repeat the process but unclick the safe boot square in msconfig
    restart again..
    you should be good.
    pompier83 likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:56 AM
    I think I may have found the problem... Do those dealing with this problem have avast antivirus installed? If so, I believe that is what is causing the 'critical error'. I uninstalled the software and upon reboot my start button and cortana were working perfectly again. Now I'm sure you all know how to uninstall software on your PCs but it may not work in normal mode with the critical error as it didn't with me. Therefore I uninstalled in safe mode. Incase you arent familiar with how to access safe mode on windows 10, heres how: You press ctrl+alt+delete, and in the bottom right hand corner you click the power button. Before you click 'restart', hold down the shift key until the next screen is displayed (blue). Then click troubleshoot, advanced options, start-up settings, restart. Once it restarts, press the F4 key, and when it restarts you will be in safe mode. Now just do the normal thing to uninstall avast and then reboot following the installation and it should be fixed!

I also posted this response on the Microsoft forum: 'Windows 10 Critical error fix, Start menu and cortana not working" bug when logging in with MSA?'

Hope this can help some people! it was hella frustrating trying to fix this!
    -LiamHughess
    Thanks a bunch for this, I couldn't get my laptop to start without getting the 'cortana..' error for two days!! It did bug me once or twice before but would fix itself afterI signed out and in again...but not this time.
    I uninstalled Avast and no error since, however my PC seems to be in trouble now, the mouse (arrow) icon has a constant flickering loading circle around it.....it won't go away, also my chrome title bar is flickering and I can't even perform a single function by left-clicking anywhere and choosing an option, opening my history for example!!
    After I uninstalled Avast, I got an error which went away too fast but eneded with 00000000....please can anyone help?
    Windows 10 has ****ed up my laptop!
    09-05-2015 12:18 AM
    don't know why so many people waste time and/or money on anti virus programs. YOU DON'T NEED THEM in Windows 10 (or 8 / 8.1). Windows Defender, combined with other built-in protections, protect your PC very well.
    09-05-2015 08:24 AM
    don't know why so many people waste time and/or money on anti virus programs. YOU DON'T NEED THEM in Windows 10 (or 8 / 8.1). Windows Defender, combined with other built-in protections, protect your PC very well.
    Couldn't agree more. There was a time when antivirus software was useful but now the only time I ever find myself reading about it is when its causing an issue because it won't play nice with something else. All it does is eat up resources and occasionally cause compatibility issues with some other component.

Windows defender + a bit of common sense and an occasional CCleaner scan are enough.
    09-05-2015 09:01 AM
    Thanks now got a working computer again.Why don't Microsoft sort this problem out,really glad we have Apple computers as well.
    Thanks again.
    09-09-2015 05:42 AM
    Great - it worked, thanks; resolved a panic on my wife's PC (I use a decent OS on my desktop PC & laptop: Linux Mint ).

Well done for the research and clear, detailed instructions.

RainKap
    09-11-2015 06:28 AM
131 1234 ...