10-02-2016 04:21 PM
131 12345 ...
tools
    I had this happen on my laptop but it seemed to fix itself after two or three reboots
    09-12-2015 09:00 AM
    No, I am using McAfee. Asking me to log out then log back in again asking for a password that thank goodness I remembered. Still don't know how to fix this issue in WIN 10.
    09-12-2015 07:13 PM
    I have had very similar issues. Upgraded to W10 last week. Worked great for 24 hours, Cortana, Edge, Hello the works. 1 day later, it all went down hill. Logged on, no start menu, no live tiles, no cortana, most task bar icons missing!

Spent a frustrating afternoon with MS 'tinkering' with my PC. She said in the end she thought my account was corrupted! So we made a new account. So now I have no Cortana, very limited Live Tiles. Can't open the Calendar, Email, Store apps. Lots of functionality not working. No access to any other drives. Cheesed off to say the least! All I can really do is use Edge.
    All I'm hoping for is that as so many people are having this issue, or ones very similar is that the guys back in Redmond are working on a fix.
    09-13-2015 02:01 AM
    I think I may have found the problem... Do those dealing with this problem have avast antivirus installed? If so, I believe that is what is causing the 'critical error'. I uninstalled the software and upon reboot my start button and cortana were working perfectly again. Now I'm sure you all know how to uninstall software on your PCs but it may not work in normal mode with the critical error as it didn't with me. Therefore I uninstalled in safe mode. Incase you arent familiar with how to access safe mode on windows 10, heres how: You press ctrl+alt+delete, and in the bottom right hand corner you click the power button. Before you click 'restart', hold down the shift key until the next screen is displayed (blue). Then click troubleshoot, advanced options, start-up settings, restart. Once it restarts, press the F4 key, and when it restarts you will be in safe mode. Now just do the normal thing to uninstall avast and then reboot following the installation and it should be fixed!

I also posted this response on the Microsoft forum: 'Windows 10 Critical error fix, Start menu and cortana not working" bug when logging in with MSA?'

Hope this can help some people! it was hella frustrating trying to fix this!
    -LiamHughess
    09-15-2015 10:28 AM
    Thank you. This has fixed it! Am anxious that my Avast Internet Security has been uninstalled though. Are you sure Windows Defender on W10 is enough security? Running a scan now. Thanks again. Sandra
    09-15-2015 10:38 AM
    I know people are saying on here that you don't need an anti-virus programme with Windows 10, but I have paid for Avast Internet Security. Can I re-install it do you think?
    09-15-2015 10:50 AM
    I have free Malwarebytes Anti-malware as well, so I am assuming there will be a plethora of people saying YOU DON'T NEED AN ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMME AS WELL! Sorry if I have annoyed some computer buffs. I am not one and need some reassurance please. Thanks.

16/9/15. See message below. Woohoo! Maybe I am a computer buff after all! Not!
    Last edited by Sandra Byrne; 09-16-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Solved
    09-15-2015 10:55 AM
    I re-installed Avast Internet Security yesterday and guess what? Up came the same Critical Error message this morning when I booted up - 'Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you login. Logout now' So I logged out and, without having Liam Hughes' excellent solution steps in front of me, I guessed at what I had to do, thinking I will uninstall AIS again. Sigh! So this is what I did:

I logged out and logged back in. I clicked on the power button and up came the menu asking me to restart or... and then, instead of holding down the shift key, I CLICKED ON RESTART AND HELD DOWN THE F4 KEY as it restarted. This did not take me into safe mode as I expected but brought up the normal opening page WITH NO CRITICAL ERROR MESSAGE! Start menu was there and I have been operating fine on my laptop all morning.

So what happened? Did 'they', whoever they are, fix it? Or is this another solution to KEEP AVAST INSTALLED and get rid of the critical error message? Whatever, it worked and maybe it will help somebody eles in the same position as me.
    09-16-2015 04:48 AM
    You are the Best!!!! This tip worked pretty fine for me. Thanks a million, you save my life and my virtual farm.
    09-18-2015 04:21 PM
    I switched from Avast to AVG. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks!
    09-18-2015 08:52 PM
    no need to uninstall anything, i also run Avast and all i did was do this..

crt alt del to bring up task manager
    click file
    run new task
    enter msconfig w/admin privileges
    go to boot section, click on safeboot and network
    ok to restart
    after restart just repeat the process but unclick the safe boot square in msconfig
    restart again..
    you should be good.
    This only worked for the first reboot, then the problem returned. Replacing Avast with AVG worked for me.
    09-18-2015 09:00 PM
    I had the same problem. I wasn't running Avast, but was running AVG free version. I uninstalled that, but it still didn't work. After trying unsuccessfully all weekend, I finally gave up, and restored my Windows 7.
    09-20-2015 10:38 PM
    THANK YOU!!!! I tried all the "fixes" I found online and this was the only one that worked!

09-21-2015 12:08 AM
    First of all Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator by Right click on Start button then Choose Command Prompt (Admin) and finally type Powershell in command prompt window and press enter.

Then paste the command in Administrator: Windows PowerShell window or you can type it manually and then press enter: Get-AppXPackage AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage DisableDevelopmentMode Register$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}

After this command will get executed your issue was solved.
    Sandra Byrne likes this.
    09-23-2015 12:29 AM
    Worked for me Foxbatt. Many thanks. Just wish I knew what caused this issue in the first place and hope its not going to be a regular occurrence
    10-04-2015 03:01 PM
    Darn it. Too quick to reply I think. My start is opening up now but when rightclicking the start button only things to operate are bottom 4 items (desktop, shut down, run or search) everything above doesnt open. Windows 10 is not playing ball. Anyone any ideas how I can resolve. Cheers in advance.
    10-04-2015 03:13 PM
    I uninstalled Avast, but no help. Start button still not functioning. This problem occurs only with my account in this computer. The others two have no problem.
    10-09-2015 05:26 AM
    The script that Bhupesh posted above is the same thing Tech support gives out to fix the stuck Start button, stuck time/date, store apps not running etc.

But there is nother method a bit simpler.

Open Task Manager (cntl-alt-del) scroll all way to bottom of list of Processes and there is a folder named Windows Explorer. Right click on it and pick RESTART. Should fix it also
    10-10-2015 02:04 PM
    Dont think Avast issue, seems tech support knows about it and gives out the script, MS just need focus on fixing it since it can be gotten around via 2 methods listed here.
    10-10-2015 02:22 PM
    Hi,
    thanks for the tip, it worked for me, I have also avast installed and got this annoying message and didn't know what to do.
    Regards,

Claudiu
    10-11-2015 04:02 PM
    I just hardboot my computer and it works again. Its always something with Microsoft Edge freezing and cant shut it down, not even kill the task then that **** happends, hard boot and it works again.
    10-17-2015 08:43 PM
    You are my hero. Thanks. I was dealing with the problem for several weeks now.

I don't understand how avast screwed up like this.
    10-18-2015 01:19 PM
    hi,

just experience the problem with my boss computer. when i'm about to give up on windows 10 and want to restore with the recovery option from the computer (lenovo c440), than i leave the computer since i look for the CD of the office 2013, when i get back, the pop up screen saying that cortana and start menu critical error is gone, the start menu back to functioning, well i don't know exactly what i did, but it seems when i enter the recovery mode, it consider as enter the safe mode. perhaps.

also have avast antivirus but did not uninstall.

will leave my boss using the computer and let see if the same problem occurs :)

and my vaio is still don't get the windows10 upgrade notification... :(
    Shashank Bhardwaj3 likes this.
    10-18-2015 11:28 PM
    Hi , Looks like it has worked on my system ....
    10-19-2015 05:02 PM
    Thank u very much..! its works for me
    10-21-2015 05:18 AM
131 12345 ...