Syncing Network Time

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My Surface Pro 3 keeps dropping 15 minutes and getting behind. So far I've caught it twice, and both times it was just about 15 minutes behind. I'm trying to find the settings to sync with an NIST time server, but can't seem to find it. Is it gone? Anyone have any advice on what could be the cause?
Thanks!
Rich

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
You can try "w32tm /config /update /manualpeerlist:yourtimerserver" from a command prompt, assuming 10 is the same as previous versions.

In the past you could click on the time in the corner then hit change settings etc. but maybe they got rid of it, not sure.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just tried that. It doesn't seem to have changed anything. I did notice this evening while I was away from home and using the PC that it got to be 10 minutes behind. That was after adjusting the time two hours before. And yet, somehow, when I just now reset the time again, it was still ten minutes behind. I'll have to keep an eye on this and see what it does.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I don't have the internet time tab. A little while ago, I found something online that said that domain-joined PCs can't sync to an internet time server. That led me to look at my server (I have a domain at home), and noticed that once again my SP3 clock is off by about 10 minutes, and also the time perfectly matched that of my server. So I've now fixed the server clock. I don't know how long it will take for the SP3 clock to sync up with the server, but I believe that will solve it.

Now, if I only knew why my server clock was so far off, and tomorrow I'll see if I can find a way to sync that with an internet time server.

Thanks for the help, though, guys - even though it wasn't where my problem was, I appreciate it.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Ah yes, you didn't mention domain. Run the w32tm thing mentioned previously but do it on the domain controller(s).
Sync the domain with internet time sources, domain members will follow.
If your DC are virtual machines, you'll want to disable them syncing with the host.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah yes, you didn't mention domain. Run the w32tm thing mentioned previously but do it on the domain controller(s).
Sync the domain with internet time sources, domain members will follow.
If your DC are virtual machines, you'll want to disable them syncing with the host.

Well, that did it. Last night after I posted my previous comment I went to bed. This morning when I woke up, my SP3 was synced with the server. So then I went ahead and ran your suggested command on the server to sync it with an internet time server. Thanks!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I use Meinberg NTP, it's free and easy to use. It turns your server into an NTP server that your PCs can sync with. You configure it to sync with a pool of NTP servers, so it's pretty accurate.

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

I'm puzzled why you'd need this. The PC was already syncing with the server - it was the server that was causing the PC clock to be off. I'm betting that my wife's PC was off, too, but I didn't check it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos