Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Today I decided that I was going to pin four applications to my desktop:
Notepad
Snipping Tool
Sticky Notes
Command Prompt

Of course, now the only way to pin something to your desktop is to actually go to the file location and copy it to your desktop (as far as I know).
However, Notepad is actually notepad (.exe) and Command Prompt is actually cmd (.exe), and Sticky Notes is actually StikyNot (.exe). I can live with notepad and cmd perfectly fine, that's not an issue. But can I change the name of Sticky Notes .exe to Sticky Notes? I understand this will change it's Run command from StikyNot to Sticky Notes but I'm OCD so the change on my desktop is frustrating. I won't do anything until I know the consequences though. Can I change the name of the .exe? The shortcuts have the correct names of course but I don't want shortcuts on my desktop as I don't know if I can Run as Administrator from a shortcut.
Side note: Why in the world can you run Sticky Notes as Administrator? What benefits could that possible give me?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Of course, now the only way to pin something to your desktop is to actually go to the file location and copy it to your desktop (as far as I know)

You can also open start menu, all apps, locate the app/program you want, click and drag to the desktop (release or hold for a few seconds until you actually see the icon. When I click n drag I don't see the icon immediately)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
You can also open start menu, all apps, locate the app/program you want, click and drag to the desktop (release or hold for a few seconds until you actually see the icon. When I click n drag I don't see the icon immediately)

That makes it easier to pin things to the desktop but doesn't really help with my problem hahaha.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
However I think changing your settings to stop showing file extensions might help? Furthermore, I think that, as long as you don't touch the .exe bit the program should work fine

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've figured it out.
Yes shortcuts can be renamed, that was never an issue.
.exe files cannot be renamed (or rather, shouldn't).
You can Run as Administrator from shortcuts.
Everything is good now.

It's the little things that trip us up. The little thing this time was whether or not I can Run as Administrator from shortcuts. And I can so I'm good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre