WIndows 10 Pro Settings UI won't open, why?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

WIndows 10 Pro Settings UI won't open

After initial upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 to Win 10 Pro, Edge Browser would launch and then crash. Searching Microsoft Help online forums I found a thread posted by a MS person that gave a Power-shell command string to run that was said to ensure all components were properly registered....Like a fool I ran it and then had no Start menu or Edge....So I did another setup....Now Start menu is working and Edge works, BUT...The Settings UI starts to load then closes instantly...Every time I try to launch the Settings UI, It attempts to launch and closes instantly. I then see these events recorded in Event Monitor - Windows - Critical - Last Hour....

Any Suggestions or has anyone else had this issue?
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 8/5/2015 8:47:53 AM
Event ID: 59
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: TRON
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.Manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

mark_dowling

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I encountered the same problem after a Win7 upgrade (about 10 done and first time I've seen it)

There is a solution but I can't post a link yet. So...

Open your browser on the win10 box
Type in aka dot ms forwardslash diag_settings (using punctuation for dot and forwardslash)
this downloads a cab file troubleshooter. After that completes, run Windows Update immediately to get the August 5 (or later) Cumulative Update.

To see the original post I used, google the following
site:answers.microsoft.com "Settings doesn?t launch, or launches the Store instead"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss