New Touchpads for hello?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of the fingerprint reader in a touchpad, but I hate touchpads and disable them routinely. Sorta makes it a moot point from my usage pattern.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea of the fingerprint reader in a touchpad, but I hate touchpads and disable them routinely. Sorta makes it a moot point from my usage pattern.

That's what I was thinking as well, in a way. I do have to disable my touchpad regularly, which is glad I have a touch screen. At least with the touch screen I don't accidentally move the cursor or click while I'm trying to type. ;)

I think I would probably rather have a dedicated fingerprint reader embedded in the laptop palm area below the keyboard, to the right of the touchpad.

I don't mind using the touchpad at times (if I'm not at a surface where I can place my mouse), and in some cases will enable it and use it. I just have to remember to disable it before I begin typing. I use the touch screen way more often than the touch pad, though.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My latest Laptop has touch screen. I like it way better than a touchpad...

Yeah, at first I was like, "Touch screens are just a gimmick. Give me a mouse any day." Now I'm like, "How did I ever get along without this! This is where the whole world needs to move!" Getting people to try it is the big issue. I still use a mouse extensively, there's just no replacement for a mouse in some apps. But now I'm seeing there's just no replacement for a touch-screen either. Great complimentary tech. I use mouse, touchpad, and touch-screen all at once sometimes.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I love touchscreens too, although I don't usually have problems with touchpads on non-touch laptops.

I'd love to see the fingerprint touchpad in the next generation to Surface Type Cover on top of Iris scanners in the new Surface. Kind of redundant, but as you say it can be dual layer identification. Otherwise, having the whole touchpad as a fingerprint scanner would be great in laptops as it'll be easier to use as you don't have to make sure you scan your finger in the middle of the scanner and you won't need to move your finger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss