Can cortana send an email?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There are plans to allow Windows 10 on mobile to send emails. I don't know if that feature has been implemented in the preview version yet. I do know Cortana on my Windows 10 laptop will send emails, and I love the feature.

Windows Phone 8.1 does not support this feature.

billshideler

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
It's on Windows 10 Desktop, but I'd have to train myself to use it smoothly...

I have Win 10 (just installed yesterday) on my Desktop PC and want to connect Cortana with my email program to send emails (I am using Windows Live email on my desktop). How do I go about doing that?

Any and help will be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA

Bill

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have Win 10 (just installed yesterday) on my Desktop PC and want to connect Cortana with my email program to send emails (I am using Windows Live email on my desktop). How do I go about doing that?

Any and help will be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA

Bill

OK... So I just sent my first email via Cortana since you asked. It was super easy if you are familiar with "Hey Cortana."

Me: Hey Cortana, send an email

Cortana: OK, who do you want to send it to?

Me: <wife's name redacted>

Cortana: What is the subject?

Me: Test

Cortana: What is the message?

Me: Testing to see if Cortana will send email via voice

Cortana: Here's your email. Shall I send it?

Me: Yes

The message was sent...

No set up I just jumped in and it worked. My contacts are in Outlook. I guess it would read any Contacts in your Mail app. Or you could say an address, but that sounds iffy. Remember the limits of Hey Cortana and pausing too long making her go on to the next stage in the task. Obviously this is for short notes to contacts with actual human names...

I just looked and it is in my Outlook sent folder.

Alternately, you can say "Hey Cortana, send an email" and then take over by filling in the fields manually in the Cortana Box if the task is larger than the voice command will reasonably accomplish.

billshideler

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for testing this for me.......I guess I need to figure out how to point Cortana in the right direction. I get a message back "I can help you send an email: You just need to set up an account." :unhappy:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It looks like it is Outlook dependent. I can't get it to see my Yahoo contacts.

Is your Cortana all set up?

Open Cortana > Notebook > Settings > Manage what Cortana knows about me in the cloud

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers