Store won't download apps

DizzyPhone

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine's a handbuilt desktop, so the problem isn't specific to a brand or manufacturer. It's not happening on my other PCs, but I haven't installed the cumulative update to them yet.

vt12

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
OK, I think the solution is:

Open the start menu.
Type msconfig.
Open "System configuration"
Select "Normal startup."
Restart computer.

All my apps are downloading and installing now. Thanks to Larry on the technipages article.

Last edited:

premo256

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
OK, I think the solution is:

Open the start menu.
Type msconfig.
Open "System configuration"
Select "Normal boot."
Restart computer.

All my apps are downloading and installing now. Thanks to Larry on the technipages article.

Normal startup also worked for me, thanks.

lmnopotts

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Going to try turning off windows firewall when I get home tonight, then try the normal boot.

Here's the failed steps M$ support has been copy-pasting in forums:
sfc /scannow
wsreset

It's irritating as my brother had 0 issues with his rig updating to Windows 10. Yet my Lenovo Z510 crashed 3 times during the initial update, and now this stupid store issue along with GUI issues.

</deardiary>

Him Here

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
well, I have been on the internet before windows was even born and Microsoft has ALWAYS been bad at giving out a good system. Windows 10 has been given away in order for others to fix the bugs. they then collate all the fixes and issue a new release at a price. the current bug with the store and mail is not restricted to any make but seems to affect laptops etc. As usual Microsoft know there is an issue but don't know how to fix it so will keep quiet until someone finds a work around. we cannot sue as it was given free and anyone with brains knows NOTHING is ever free. There are about to be issues with anyone trying to use VPN as the government will NOT allow encryption it cannot un-encrypt.

vt12

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Going to try turning off windows firewall when I get home tonight, then try the normal boot.

Here's the failed steps M$ support has been copy-pasting in forums:
sfc /scannow
wsreset

It's irritating as my brother had 0 issues with his rig updating to Windows 10. Yet my Lenovo Z510 crashed 3 times during the initial update, and now this stupid store issue along with GUI issues.

</deardiary>

I can't think of a single time MS support has given the right answer on microsoft answers. I usually scroll past their replies now. Once when I contacted them about some uninstallation-bug popup I was getting they asked me ?40 to fix a virus. It turned out to be an incorrect registry entry I just deleted.

vt12

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
In the UK, as far as I know, VPNs only connect you to your provider. But here, providers are legally obligated to keep all browsing history for 2 years. So I don't think it makes any difference if fear of government is the issue - but VPNs are still useful to prevent MITM attacks from low level attackers.

Last edited:

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't really believe this! I mean, it's not a Single User Trouble, a lot of us are experiencing this (and BTW, the "Fix" updated in the First Post didn't work for me neither).

Yeah, a nasty bug, all rait, and meaby the "Big Patch" coming next week fix this terrible issue, but in the meantime, this kind of issues are not going to look very well in the near future (but, well, this kind of things always happens, but please! Windows 10 has been around for a lot of months and a lot of people trying to make this the best Windows ever, but even with all the efforts, the Windows Team didn't bring a near complete OS on the launch date).

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So, after 30+ minutes chating with some dude from Tech Support and the info. he told me:

-This is a bug from Windows 8.
-It's, again, a terrible registry corrup/damage.
-I need to change my Windows Account to a Local Account to see if the problem is gone.
-This bug is going to be fixed with and update over time (not right now, but some day).
-People on Tech Support know nothing.

Oh boy... this is going to be a really hard update cycle for Microsoft.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Here's what worked for me:
1. Uninstall any and all of the third party anti-virus software, then restart your PC.
2. Once restarted, check for Windows Updates - the error (if any) should resolved and updates if available should begin to download.
3. After installing the updates, restart if required.
4. Launch the store once back in. Check the app downloads and attempt to restart the download.
5. They should begin to start downloading.

This is in addition to the recommended solutions found by other users above.

lmnopotts

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The answer provided by Triw helped me... I think. That step along with disabling my Norton Firewall and normal boot allowed the store to finally work.

I'd just like a day when a Windows OS comes out that I don't have to dig down into DOS to get it to work... but it is not this day.

This totally worked for me aswell:
hey I just try this method from here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b/5cabe27a-70fe-4d63-bd2f-b426d20733b6?page=2

1. Run an elevated command prompt (Type "cmd" in Search, then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
2. Type following commands:

net stop wuauserv
move "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old"
net start wuauserv

3. Reboot
4. Try to download something from the Store.

try to disconnect from the internet while doing this. just to make sure windows update really turn off and not downloading any updates.

Been searching for a solution even since i removed Mail and Calendar and tried to redownload them, since they kept freezing! (there a good tutorial to remove system apps here https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/delete-windows-10-apps/)

Thanks guys, I can finally download apps again.. and more importantly, manage my mail and appointments! ;)

Cheers

cececheairs

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Here's what worked for me:
1. Uninstall any and all of the third party anti-virus software, then restart your PC.
2. Once restarted, check for Windows Updates - the error (if any) should resolved and updates if available should begin to download.
3. After installing the updates, restart if required.
4. Launch the store once back in. Check the app downloads and attempt to restart the download.
5. They should begin to start downloading.

This is in addition to the recommended solutions found by other users above.

Thank you! this worked for me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss