Store won't download apps

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I've tried multiple solutions over the past two days, but this finally worked for me (found this at answers.microsoft.com):

First go to Windows Store and log out by clicking on your icon on the top right, then click the account you are logged in with and then click log out.

go to Settings, Accounts, and if you are currently using a Microsoft account to log into Windows, switch it to use a local account, do new password etc, for the local account then reboot.

Once rebooted, go back to windows store and without logging in see if you can download any updates. When I did this it worked and started downloading the stuck updates.

You may be able to go back and switch back to using a Microsoft account to log in to Windows after downloads are unstuck. There is benefit to logging into Windows this way synced settings across devices etc. I haven't switch back yet to see if the issue returns. Hope this helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-at-0-mb/5cabe27a-70fe-4d63-bd2f-b426d20733b6

brainimpact

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Found a fix for people with the Store problem plus Mail and Calendar Crash, The fix is only for people with AMD Graphics Card though, below is my post from the Microsoft site

Guys I fixed it, I updated catalyst manager and AMD driver to a newer windows 10 64 bit version and then Mail and calendar worked again, for store to work I had to go to run after updating driver and type WSReset.exe but you might not need to
here is the download for the driver I needed what might help you guys too if its an AMD card you have
Desktop
here the 32bit version
Desktop
Please post if it works for you guys too, so we know if the old driver got broke by the last Windows update

Paul Brasington

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem... actually first occurred in one of the preview releases so I thought it was something to do with my machine. Back then I tried a reset - the reset failed and reverted but in the process seemed to fix the problem. So I tried that again in the release version and it didn't really work. I thought maybe it was time to do a clean install so I followed some instructions from Hexus.net which suggested that once your copy of Win10 had been activated you could do a clean install on the same machine and the activation would still be valid. Like hell. And of course having come from the technical preview the product key I had for that programme no longer works. So I have been forced to reinstall Windows 8, go through all the upgrades to get to Windows 8.1 and must now wait till Microsoft decides I can have my upgrade to 10. I really like Win10, but everything about this process reminds me of why I've often wished I could just move properly to Linux and be done with all this activation bollocks.

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Do everything, same problem, nothing work and I'm still facing the same issue all of you are having.

Some minutes ago I send a message to Gabe in Twitter, let's see if he can tell us something.

vt12

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem... actually first occurred in one of the preview releases so I thought it was something to do with my machine. Back then I tried a reset - the reset failed and reverted but in the process seemed to fix the problem. So I tried that again in the release version and it didn't really work. I thought maybe it was time to do a clean install so I followed some instructions from Hexus.net which suggested that once your copy of Win10 had been activated you could do a clean install on the same machine and the activation would still be valid. Like hell. And of course having come from the technical preview the product key I had for that programme no longer works. So I have been forced to reinstall Windows 8, go through all the upgrades to get to Windows 8.1 and must now wait till Microsoft decides I can have my upgrade to 10. I really like Win10, but everything about this process reminds me of why I've often wished I could just move properly to Linux and be done with all this activation bollocks.

To get access to your key (I don't know if you can use it to install W10, but I have extracted it anyway):

Open Notepad.

Paste this:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

save it as a .vbs file

Double click and it will show you your key.

StarrWulfe

Aug 29, 2002
j7.textamerica.com
My solution:

Go to settings>users and create a new user with admin priviledges. Make sure that user does NOT have an email address. Just a local user (so keep clicking the text that says "save user without email address" and so on.

Log out of your account and log in as that new user. Your PC will now finish updating the new user and part of that process involves downloading the patches you can't get in your regular account.

When first logged in, go to the windows store, and you should automatically download updates after 10 seconds.

Once updated, restart the PC and log into your regular account. Mail and Calendar should work properly. Go into Windows Store. You should be able to download the rest of your updates now.

Keep that account you made as an "emergency backup"; don't use it for anything other than this type of trouble. As a Windows Insider, I was stuck the same way back on build 10071 and did the same thing to force Win Update to get me to the next build. :cool:

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Tried a few of the things suggested here. Uninstalled AVG, disabled Windows firewall, started in Normal Boot mode, no help. I was having issues with a Windows Update for Windows Defender definitions which seemed to be fixed by turning off the firewall, but still no luck with updating apps or using Mail.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My solution:

Go to settings>users and create a new user with admin priviledges. Make sure that user does NOT have an email address. Just a local user (so keep clicking the text that says "save user without email address" and so on.

Log out of your account and log in as that new user. Your PC will now finish updating the new user and part of that process involves downloading the patches you can't get in your regular account.

When first logged in, go to the windows store, and you should automatically download updates after 10 seconds.

Once updated, restart the PC and log into your regular account. Mail and Calendar should work properly. Go into Windows Store. You should be able to download the rest of your updates now.

Keep that account you made as an "emergency backup"; don't use it for anything other than this type of trouble. As a Windows Insider, I was stuck the same way back on build 10071 and did the same thing to force Win Update to get me to the next build. :cool:

This didn't work for me until I uninstalled the last update "KB3081424" and rebooted. They started updating again finally and was able to log back into my administrator acct. and reinstall the above update.

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
My solution:

Thanks Dude :) Worked for me. The only thing was that once the new user account opened, I was not able to access the start menu and search. But a quick reboot fixed it. Disabled antivirus and firewall and hit update all on the store. And everything was updated.

vikash singh1

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Not working for me. I upgraded my pc a week back but couldn't update the apps then due to time issues. But last nite I updated the cumulative patch by ms before updating my apps and now the apps wont work. Tried few tricks from here but no help.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As Microsoft is aware of the issue the safest thing is probably to wait a day or two rather than hacking registries and system folders... a fix or recommended workaround will come pretty quickly.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Creating the local account might have solved it for me .. but it might have been a co-incidence, interestingly it only affected my Surface Pro 3 and not my desktop.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hey I just try this method from here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/4e083bbe-c90e-40d3-90f2-5acb5f58dddc?auth=1

1. Run an elevated command prompt (Type "cmd" in Search, then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
2. Type following commands:

net stop wuauserv
move "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old"
net start wuauserv

3. Reboot
4. Try to download something from the Store.
try to disconnect from the internet while doing this. just to make sure windows update really turn off and not downloading any updates.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I think that this solution that was found in the MSFT Answers forum bears repeating, even to be stickied. It certainly worked for multiple users as well as for my Surface?.
EDIT: I will add that I only renamed the "SoftwareDistribution" directory by appending ".OLD" to it as opposed to actually moving it elsewhere in the file system. I believe that renaming the folder was the original intent of the OP in that thread.

Last edited:

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have tried nearly everything mentioned and nothing helped. The really crappy part is that anyone who cant get a Windows Update because of this bug will have to figure out how to fix it on their own. While many of us are pretty good about searching the internet for answers, there are tons of people who have no clue what to do when something doesn't work. If Windows cant even patch itself because it cant get an update, someone is screwed.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My issue is similar to everyone's here but not entirely the same. My issue is when trying to install a new app only. Existing apps will update fine. But when trying to install a new app it shows it's downloading, then installing, but fails at 99%. Then it says "Well, this is embarrassing (see details)." Clicking on details shows the message "We can't find the app. error code 0x80070002". I can hit retry which results in the same thing over and over.

I've reset the Windows Store cache a bunch of times and rebooted. I've tried running the Windows Update troubleshooter which fixes something but doesn't actually fix the problem. Like many of you here I've ended up switching to a local account and then back to a MS account just to download new apps. But this is far from ideal or as a long term workaround.

I'm eager to try some of the other ideas listed here and see if they fix the issue though.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
hey I just try this method from here: I can't download or update apps via Windows Store - Microsoft Community

1. Run an elevated command prompt (Type "cmd" in Search, then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
2. Type following commands:

net stop wuauserv
move "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old"
net start wuauserv

3. Reboot
4. Try to download something from the Store.
try to disconnect from the internet while doing this. just to make sure windows update really turn off and not downloading any updates.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I think that this solution that was found in the MSFT Answers forum bears repeating, even to be stickied. It certainly worked for multiple users as well as for my Surface?.
EDIT: I will add that I only renamed the "SoftwareDistribution" directory by appending ".OLD" to it as opposed to actually moving it elsewhere in the file system. I believe that renaming the folder was the original intent of the OP in that thread.

This worked for me. Right down to the renaming vs. move (move threw an error). Seems like a pretty hacky fix, but it worked. Hopefully some future update fixes this for folks who can't touch the command line.

dvdhills

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I found that if I used task manager to close any processes I did not need, it worked. Onedrive especially seems to freeze the store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro