Project Astoria Tools Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I'd argue that something like this wasn't even thought of when the DMCA came about. Also, I think you're misunderstanding something. You don't need the (entire) SDK for this tool. You need the ADB (Android Debug Bridge)...

I believe the DCMA was enacted for exactly these types of instances, even if this specific case were not envisioned at the time. It is to help check electronic excess of proliferation when works are copyrighted and to help delineate what methods are sanctioned.

When I said SDK, I guess I did misspeak... I meant it to refer to the Project Astoria tools, not anything in the Android SDK such as ADB.

You aren't stating that ADB will translate an apk into an appx are you? That ADB is the only program being used to "Bridge" these apps?

Is it really your contention that using this leaked tool does not alter a thing? If the tool does not alter anything, what use is it?

Do you really believe that maintaining the published form of a work is not protected under copyright?

What part of Windows 10 becomes an emulator? Microsoft has clearly stated that the goal and end result of Project Astoria is NOT emulation.

It's a legal grey-zone right now,

No. I'm sorry. Altering and distribution of works not your own, without express consent of the owner, is not a "grey-zone." It has never been. It always was and still remains prohibited.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not understanding what all the fuss is about. OpenMobile has had their ACL launched across several platforms without any legal issues.

Microsoft plans to allow Android apps to their store, not as if they will be posting without consent.

P.S: This leak had perfect timing.

Edit: Astoria does not need to change anything. Not as if they are hacking executables here! Think WINE on Linux, only Android is open source.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
From what I'm getting this tools allow android run on windows but the way they run isn't like they running on virtual layer but run on the OS itself.

It's like that the tools recompile the apps so windows can run it natively. If it's run on virtual layer then there is no need for any tools at all but just a tweak on the OS itself

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the DCMA was enacted for exactly these types of instances, even if this specific case were not envisioned at the time. It is to help check electronic excess of proliferation when works are copyrighted and to help delineate what methods are sanctioned.

When I said SDK, I guess I did misspeak... I meant it to refer to the Project Astoria tools, not anything in the Android SDK such as ADB.

You aren't stating that ADB will translate an apk into an appx are you? That ADB is the only program being used to "Bridge" these apps?

Is it really your contention that using this leaked tool does not alter a thing? If the tool does not alter anything, what use is it?

Do you really believe that maintaining the published form of a work is not protected under copyright?

What part of Windows 10 becomes an emulator? Microsoft has clearly stated that the goal and end result of Project Astoria is NOT emulation.

No. I'm sorry. Altering and distribution of works not your own, without express consent of the owner, is not a "grey-zone." It has never been. It always was and still remains prohibited.

No altering. It's more like an APK is wrapped inside an APPX. Downloading an APK from an authors site and sideloading it onto a Windows Phone should not have any legal implications.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the problem here. People from Linux download Windows Apps and install with Wine. For them, is totally normal and legal.
It will only be illegal if the developer does not provide the apk on their website.
If you download Firefox, it's legal. If download snapchat is illegal.

And currently, installing apps is not restricted to developers (But Astoria it's restricted to a small number of people)
In Windows Phone 8.1, to install apps you need a dev account, but on Windows 10 Mobile not (just like Android and Windows PC).
So to be 100% legal, just wait for the end of month when Microsoft release Project Astoria (and it will work better. 10166 build was compiled on 05 of July)

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
There is a big difference between Microsoft writing a native App or a Developer using the tools to properly port their App as opposed to normal users taking a leaked version of the tool and sideloading cracked apks to their devices.

I'm confident in believing no one at Microsoft, no indie developer, no development house - none of them are sitting back right now saying, "Wow. Users can take this method and bork my app and make it look bad, can sideload it without giving me any credit in the store for downloads, for payment, for proper credit with my ad revenue program, can risk their devices and potentially expose them to harm all while infringing on my intellectual property in any number of ways. Gosh, I think that is great and I must support it." Nope. Not what the repercussions of this leak are going to create as a reaction.

It puts the community in a bad light to see so many rushing to embrace this "methodology" without examining what it entails to do this.

Ok, first apologies for the "they" at my last sentence, it refers back to the developers not Microsoft, please reread my comment maybe it makes more sense now.

secondly, i totally agree with what you are saying, but please let us be real.... lets talk numbers....

the number of people who side load/ would side load and do such things are a very small group (compared to the population), i would estimate less than 3% - 5% of the population.

now, considering that very small percentage, knowing that you can do this stuff on Android it self and the risk of people doing it is already happening, i would say that the number of people who do this on android (the less than 3% - 5%) are a bigger number than "all" windows phone users at the moment.

so if we already have 3% - 5% of android users doing these stuff, add to them 0.01% - 0.03% from windows phone and you got a new group, that is hardly larger than the first one.

at the end, developers who are upset of this, should have never developed to Android, but they know that these numbers hardly affect their revenues, that's why they do it anyway.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
it is not allowed asking/posting for a link in comment(because it is public)
Is it not allowed.

Windows Central is taking a hard line on posting of links to these tools, direct or indirect. Please do not post links or directions in comments as you risk having the post deleted. Continued abuse of this rule may result in account termination.

Please see this article from Daniel Rubino, the Editor In Chief at this site.

mandong

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

ADB is used to deploy the app onto a Windows 10 mobile device. You're not modifying anything in the app when you're deploying it.

Apparently, the subsystem that maps Android API calls coming from the app to Windows 10 for mobile API calls is already included in the last W10P build that's why Android apps are able to run. No emulation involved.

The leaked tools are just used for deployment, not for "cracking".

Last edited:

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the Project Astoria has the bigger game on W10 mobile, designed more for mobile games.
Though, the Project Islandwood is more on transforming the app to go On both pc and mobile with universal apps.

yosoyyoberdi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have just received a notification of Clash of Clans. I read yesterday that notifications aren't supposed to be working. How can this be explained?

sanjeet_deshwal

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Deployed Facebook, WhatsApp , twitter , snapchat and 2-3 games on friend's 830 (my phones aren't supported ;630,1020).
Surprisingly, Facebook,WhatsApp ,twitter apps are working better than the native ones with no resuming/loading screens and notifications are working too without any delays.
Snapchat isn't working; google play service problem -_-
now, he can fool andro-guys by showing clash of clans and snapchat apps.

----------
English isn't my first language

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I hope to be wrong but this is not much different from blackberry.

you will be wrong. again, the intention is completely different. this is NOT for users. its for devs to test their apps, and see what needs to be implemented to make it work with WP. Its for porting tests, not to provide an alternate store. I trust MS and they are in a somewhat better position than BB ever were

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
There's a bit of confusion on this thread. All the tool does is enable an ADB-compatible connection to your Windows Phone.

As mentioned, ADB is the "Android Debug Bridge" and is used for many purposes, but one of the most common ones is for installing apps.

This is not a 'proof of concept', but a legitimate way for developers to test their apps on a Windows Phone. After all, a developer needs to test his application before releasing it, and the best way to do that is to deploy it on devices. Yes, it leaked out while still in private testing, but there's no reason to believe this wasn't going to become public very soon anyway - Microsoft's own page says they plan on releasing the Windows Bridge for Android later this fall.

This also does not in any way shape or form modify applications. Again, it is only the tool used to connect to the phone. Microsoft has an Android subsystem running on the phone which runs the code as is. The difference is that Microsoft's implementation of that Android subsystem redirects a few Android-based calls to their Microsoft equivalents. Any modification that must be done to the app to make it work on Microsoft products is done manually by the developer before packing their application into an APK.

Also, applications are not APKs or APPX on the phone. APK and APPX are the installation medium. Think of them like an MSI. Nothing gets repackaged by this tool or by the phone in any way whatsoever. They get extracted to the files that make up that application.

Now, I agree, if you're downloading APKs from shady internet sites, that's definitely illegal. If you're using a backup app on Android to package your applications on your Android device in APK format again, that's a legal gray area. However, there are definitely fully legal ways to obtain APKs (just look at Amazon, they have to release their app store as an APK, or look at Humble Bundle's Android sales from time to time as just a couple examples).

Utilizing the tool itself? Well, that's a gray area as well. It's leaked, not officially released yet, so it's not really something officially okay to use... but the tool does nothing illegal itself. Let's also keep in mind that every Android device supports an ADB connection. This does absolutely nothing more than create that connection to a Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss