Project Astoria Tools Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a tool that allows you to remove google play services

I remember dabbling with a tool like that (was it Happy Patcher?) when I was experimenting with BB10 not too long ago, but its no silver bullet.

Actually, I couldn't figure out if I was doing it right despite instructions.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I suspect that with the upcoming Mobile build, that more devices will be supported. The leaked documentation has a longer list than actually works right now, if I recall correctly.

Also, since the leaked tool only makes the connection to the phone, it shouldn't require an updated version of the tool. I suspect that everything that is REALLY needed is on the device ROM side. We'll see soon enough though (hopefully this week, I'm tired of the bugs with 10166).

BrianLeeRussell

May 18, 2015
Visit site
So as off now. I have installed a couple of games, and some apps.. Basically it boils down to this. If the app requires google play services, The app will load but will fail to start displaying an error messages saying you need google play features. So apps like snapchat, hangout, gmail, gmaps will not work. Facebook works, and WhatsApp works. Starbucks app works. As far as performance, I am pretty stoked.. I am running this on a lumia 925 and it works better than some windows phone apps. There is a delay in scrolling performance for some apps that has the "inifinite" scroll. but nothing worse than some android phones. If this is the early work on what Microsoft is doing. I am really impressed so far. But I think google will start locking down apk access.

What version of Starbucks app are you running. Mine just exits when you hit "get started"

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
That's not what you said before... The dev placing his app in the WP store. Earlier I responded to you stating numbers on how small a percentage of the smartphone users it is on Windows Phone that would sideload the dev's apps behind his back with this tool compared to how many are already doing so on Android. And how that made it OK because the harm done is small compared to the ongoing harm the Android community does to it's devs every day. You further implied the devs know this is going on and choose for it to happen by becoming Android Developers... Don't try and change the parameters of the discussion after the fact.

Neither of us are even talking about the same thing.

My first post:

Why look at the empty half here... If a developer can tap a new market with minimum effort that would be great.... If windows turned out to be what Microsoft hope it to be, they "the developer" can then invest in making a native app.

To which you replied with something completely irrelevant:

There is a big difference between Microsoft writing a native App or a Developer using the tools to properly port their App as opposed to normal users taking a leaked version of the tool and sideloading cracked apks to their devices.

I'm confident in believing no one at Microsoft, no indie developer, no development house - none of them are sitting back right now saying, "Wow. Users can take this method and bork my app and make it look bad, can sideload it without giving me any credit in the store for downloads, for payment, for proper credit with my ad revenue program, can risk their devices and potentially expose them to harm all while infringing on my intellectual property in any number of ways. Gosh, I think that is great and I must support it." Nope. Not what the repercussions of this leak are going to create as a reaction.

It puts the community in a bad light to see so many rushing to embrace this "methodology" without examining what it entails to do this.

Noticing that your comment missed my original post, i tried to fix the situation, by apologizing, and redirecting you to my original post so that we can discuss further, and added extra sugar to the weird jargon that you posted assuming that the developer already has app in both stores, and it is already being hacked in the android space, so why would he bother much if he ported his app for free on the windows store, and it got also hacked "an inevitable out come as it seems", by saying:

Ok, first apologies for the "they" at my last sentence, it refers back to the developers not Microsoft, please reread my comment maybe it makes more sense now.

secondly, i totally agree with what you are saying, but please let us be real.... lets talk numbers....

the number of people who side load/ would side load and do such things are a very small group (compared to the population), i would estimate less than 3% - 5% of the population.

now, considering that very small percentage, knowing that you can do this stuff on Android it self and the risk of people doing it is already happening, i would say that the number of people who do this on android (the less than 3% - 5%) are a bigger number than "all" windows phone users at the moment.

so if we already have 3% - 5% of android users doing these stuff, add to them 0.01% - 0.03% from windows phone and you got a new group, that is hardly larger than the first one.

at the end, developers who are upset of this, should have never developed to Android, but they know that these numbers hardly affect their revenues, that's why they do it anyway.

Then you bash me as if i am a criminal, or allowing a crime:

This, to me, reads that it is OK for me to cut the dev a little because others are doing it. My harm on its own is so small the dev will never feel it specifically while he bleeds out from the far larger mass damage being done to him by the larger group...

People can convince themselves all they want that this whole thing is above board, that they are not infringing on anything. Sure, it's the wild west. Cowboy on people.

Then i got really confused and wonder what the hell are you talking about, of which then you refer to me as if i am changing the subject and trying to manipulate you??

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
After seeing the method to sideloading it's way too complicated for end user. Power user should be fine then again the OS itself still far from stable. This build Ok who knows about next build

Even Windows 10 already final and lot of unofficial apps outside store I don't think android dev should problem.

Why?

Because android devices already gave user unofficial apk to get installed since long time ago. And this isn't make much difference

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
try to cancel dev unlock using wp8.1/wp10 sdk or do a hard reset. Also remember always turn off the developer switch before reboot/shutdown.

I can't open For Developer setting anymore. When I select, nothing happen and my action centre icon blinking.

How to fix this?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I await for someone to discover a security hole in windows mobile 10 and destroy the OS's reputation with some bad exploits/malware.
WP/W10M all ready have a poor/bad reputation now. Besides, if hackers really want to discover a security hole in windows mobile 10, then insert malware into the OS, they can at any given moment. Regardless, if Project Astoria or Islandwood is successful or not.

K3NCentral

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the Canon "EOS Remote" on my Lumia 1020. The app itself seems to work (menus, navigation, etc...) but the app coudn't find my camera over wifi (EOS M3).

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Secondly, I do not understand why people are complaining about this when Microsoft told everybody that they was going to do this over a year ago. I mean, they wait for 3 to 5 years for developers to make apps natively for windows phones, No avail. So, now they're go to plan B(Project Astoria/Islandwood). Hoping, that this will shorting the app gap & increase their market share/user base.

JanCGN

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
If your settings app crashes on clicking"for developers" try this. Conect your phone to pc and then open device registration tool and then unregister. Then for developers will work

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If your settings app crashes on clicking"for developers" try this. Conect your phone to pc and then open device registration tool and then unregister. Then for developers will work

Thank you.

I restart my phone because during install facebook 42 not working. Waiting for device error. Nothing happen.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
WP/W10M all ready have a poor/bad reputation now. Besides, if hackers really want to discover a security hole in windows mobile 10, then insert malware into the OS, they can at any given moment. Regardless, if Project Astoria or Islandwood is successful or not.

Unlike android windows phone apps run in sandbox mode that's true even the apps is ported.

Malware need to gain a control but apps has very limited permision on the OS

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
And the Blackberry phase continues....
1st it's complicated to do, well tedious I should say

Next step someone develops a tool to lower the tedious steps (done)

People scream there is no app gap but the users for this tool explode installing Android apps.

Microsoft's next move will be very interesting. They can either break this or embrace this.

If Microsoft embraces this, the next step will be someone developing a Android like store so people can install apks directly on the device.

This story has played out already, and it's not pretty.

Just remember the steps above.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Mods, if you dont want news on this subject and you keep editing or deleting posts with content for this subject with NO links or directions on how to do it, Why do you even allow it here ? This thread should be locked.

To be honest they gave honest answers already, and they've been letting people talk fairly freely. Just don't provide links or instructions.

They stated this is too big not to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss