Can you use vpn with w10 home or not?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. On msdn they have a feature chart and it says w10 home doesn't have domain join services. The first time I installed it, sure enough I couldn't remote into any machines or map any network shares even though I could connect.

I then installed a volume license copy of w7 pro from work to try to upgrade to pro, not realizing volume licenses aren't eligible for free upgrades. Oops. So I ended up reinstalling w8 home and upgrading back to win10 home. I figured I'd just buy pro next week or something. Only this time remote desktop and network shares WORKED....the first time. When I logged in the next day it was back o not working.

I get the "could not connect to the remote computer" error with the list of possible reasons. Sooooo can I use the vpn or not? Not a big deal. If I cant my job is coughing up the cash for pro or reimbursing me. :)

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe you need Pro to use a VPN client. Without the ability to join the domain, you may not be able to connect to resources by name without some additional configuration, though you should still be able to connect using the IP address instead. You may also have to supply your login credentials when you connect since you aren't connected to the domain. It's possible the name resolutions were stored on a cache somewhere such as your home router, which may explain why it briefly worked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans