Vote for Windows 10 Mobile update for Windows RT devices

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'm don't think that'll be an upgrade over 8.1 RT.

and, not to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think that will affect MS's plans which are already solid I think?
But hey, its the point of UV.

sandflo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean - but I like the advantages over the disadvantages from Win10. But the good thing is when an update to Win10 would be offered - a user could always decline it :).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not happening.

Why? Many reasons, but mostly because that would require every RT owner to sacrifice Office, which doesn't run on W10M. Owners could get the far less capable Touch Office, but how many would consider that a fair upgrade, seeing as it would remove what was the primary value proposition of RT devices? Very few..

An upgrade may not remove existing features. W10M would remove many...

sandflo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes - I have the same doubts about that it will ever happen. And removing full office would be a bummer. I thought about a Win 10 mobile "+". Just for the existing RT devices. So basically a win 10 RT. But that would be even more unlikely.

What do you think about sacrificing universal app capability when we stay on win 8.1 RT?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ This is what I don't understand either.

I would have expected MS to leave W8.1RT as it is, except for the inclusion of W10's Universal App Platform, so RT can run W10 universal apps. Failing that I would have expected/preferred no update at all.

This UI-only update makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I voted even though it does not affect me in the bit (I don't have a RT device) with that being said, I think there is a 1% chance Microsoft would spend the time on RT (and they have clearly said they were done with it) to upgrade to Windows 10 to make they HAVE to support it for longer. They might do minor update to fix it a little but, a MAJOR change, I don't see that happening.

If they update it, they have to support it for longer, and that they are done with it, I don't see that happening in any bit.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I voted too as we use a Surface RT and a Surface 2 here. But for sure MS will not care about this. See what happen to the WP7 devices. They abandon their hardware pretty quickly. Also for me no more hardware from MS.
They simply serve some upgrade that makes the start menu look different, that is all.
But pretty funny here in the forums the fanboys even try to make it an advantage that Windows RT devices will not get Win10. :grincry:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so encouraged about this idea as well. Sort of like since Windows for phones is going to version 10, we ask MS to drop and 8.1 update to my Lumia 900 for old times sake. Bottom line, RT is not where MS wants to spend a lot of additional resources. At least it doesn't look like they do from my vantage point.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here have any meaningful thoughts on what the 'lockscreen' update might involve?, this has for me always been the most puzzling of the smattering of these upcoming updates for RT. I mean, how useful can a lockscreen get?!

Willy Soughers

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I've thought that this is a great idea and put 3 votes on it. J don't need a start menu on a device where touch IS what its meant to be used with. It can run desktop programs so keeping it as a start screen type device is perfectly fine with me. I'm not worried about the touch versions of office cause they're plenty good and I've been using them on my laptop with a mouse with no problems. This way rt could have access to the new windows 10 architecture and could ACTUALLY compete with android and iPad. As a mobile os on a tablet. Great for media consumption and in sync with my phone.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't own an RT device and likely never will, however I can see where this would be a good optional upgrade. Of all the features of Windows 10, ability to run "Universal" apps is the one thing I would have expected. Not UI changes to the start menu and lock screen. 3 votes from me.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I still legitimately think that putting 10 Mobile on it would be a pretty hefty downgrade though.
There still many users running RT 8.0. No need to upgrade if you don't want to. But at least have an upgrade available for those who want the new features on Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion