Windows 10 and recovery partitions

Lord Method Man

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded a Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10. I've heard Windows 10 doesn't use recovery partitions, does this mean I can safely reclaim the partitions I have on my SSD? Are they just leftovers from 8.1?

marksu

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded a Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10. I've heard Windows 10 doesn't use recovery partitions, does this mean I can safely reclaim the partitions I have on my SSD? Are they just leftovers from 8.1?

Interestingly I upgraded an Asus laptop that had 8GB recovery partition. After the upgrade to Windows 10 that recovery partition was shrunk to 400MB! I didn't expect that.... So for me i don't need to do anything to the recovery partition anymore. I think it left something useful there...

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Now whats the difference between a recovery partition and a recovery drive if any because just the other day I made a copy of the recovery drive in case I'm not able to boot up Windows 10 in the event of something bad bad happens. I chose create recovery drive to usb and than had the option to delete the recovery drive after that. The file was 12-16gb I think, can't remember exactly. I chose to keep it for safety reasons. I don't need that extra space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss