I just upgraded to Windows 10 and everything went fine except I can't get any USB mouse to work. What could I be doing wrong?

michaelsnow

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded to Windows 10 and everything went fine except I can't get any USB mouse to work.

USB flash drive works fine, printer works fine, just any mouse. The laptop is a Compaq C500. Tried updating driver in Device Manager but I get an error: WINDOWS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM INSTALLING THE DRIVER SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DEVICE. WINDOWS FOUND DRIVER SOFTWARE FOR YOUR DEVICE BUT ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR WHILE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL IT. THE DRIVER INSTALLATION FILE FOR THIS DRIVER IS MISSING A NECESSARY ENTRY. THIS MAY BE BECAUSE THE INF WAS WRITTEN FOR WINDOWS 95 OR LATER.
I went to the Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27Ca and downloaded the most recent driver but when it tries to install it just says ERROR ENCOUNTER SETUP WILL CANCEL.

c3RAMburger

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I had a very similar issue after doing a PC Reset after upgrading. My USB Controllers wouldn't work and couldn't detect my kb/mouse. After doing a cold boot today they came back on though. Windows Update might've also helped.

Anyways, here's a thread detailing my issue and resolution (sorry, can't post links yet with my low post count so you'll have to remove the quotations/spaces from this link: "http :// www .tomshardware. com/ forum/id-2760727/ windows-usb-driver-installation-error. html#16447872"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3