File Copy Speed - Server 2012

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing an odd behavior during my Windows 10 Pro testing. When copying files to/from a Server 2012 share, the transfer is taking twice as long as it should.

Watching traffic, I'm seeing this odd behavior:

1) If I'm sending a file to the server (let's say 300MB), it copies the file up (Send traffic shows 90Mbps on a 100Mbps network), but when the file is done, the bar goes to 0Mbps. Watching traffic shows 90Mbps of Receive traffic - as if it's copying the file back down from the server to the client. After an identical amount of time as the send - the file completes.

2) If I'm receiving a file from the server, the same thing happens in reverse.

I can't explain why everything is sending, and then receiving the same size during the transfer. I've tested on a Surface Pro 3 (using the Surface dock), and a Dell Optiplex desktop. Same behavior on both.

Could it be an issue with Windows 10, or Server 2012? I know Windows 10 includes a new SMB protocol, but I'd imagine it downgrades the handshake when talking to Server 2012.

Anyone tested this and seen this behavior?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind - after further testing it turns out it was the Surface Pro 3 dock. Apparently they have a problem with Windows 10. I tried three docks and they all did the same thing. I tried the Surface Pro USB Ethernet adapter, and everything worked perfectly.

The OptiPlex turned out to be a bad NIC driver. Once I replaced the driver, the problem went away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05