Sounds like MS's investment on android/ios apps is beginning to pay off

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
yeah MS investment plans on android, ios starting to pay off so much to a point that made me buy an android phone for a better MS apps and MS apps updates :eck::eck::eck::eck:

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yup, 2 down, 999,999,998 to go.

Don't forget the 110M on Windows 10 + those that will upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile + those buying a new device + Windows 10 on everything else like Xbox. That 1B-users-on-Windows10 goal will be reached quickly...

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah this works.

Please don't think that US is the entire world. Market share may low on US by outside US they start kicking.
In 2012 really rare to found WP devices but today. I saw it everyday on bus, train ect.

Why because first MS budget strategy really works. Nokia aftersales care network has wind coverage and persuade people to buy Microsoft products. In emerging markets this strategy really works as people doesn't going to purchase a motorcycle class smartphone too much.

Second Microsoft services are works on all platforms. My mom has iPad, Lumia 535 and they synchronization really great.

Third, many organizations using office 365 subscription which offer mail server. That made people more regularly using Microsoft services rather their competitors.

Fourth Microsoft has great program and event. Remember when they held an event in US that announced 950 and gank few days ago? Similar events being held on lot different places afterwards. Microsoft also offers great student program. We may hear Google ambassador and Microsoft U Crew program but we never heard about apple has thing like that for students here

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Universal apps for Windows 10 is NOT going to bring anyone from Android or IOS over to our side. I honestly do not know why anyone would believe that.

Simple. We can talk all day about what apps android or apple does or doesn't have, but a PC's software app availability squishes that flat.

Does that mean you'll get Starbucks and Snapchat? Maybe. Maybe not. What it means is that the guy playing around in Unity who just came up with the idea of the century might be more inclined to compile his project as a "universal" one, knowing it'll make his app look more appealing and might grab him a few more customers.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Considering and doing are poles apart. I did. I left android after many years of using and rom cooking from the Galaxy 2 through to 3, and predominantly Note 3. I'm not going back. Lollipop always felt unfinished, OEM's, like Samsung, took ages to release official OS's, and they were stacked with bloat, memory bleed always an issue, several releases to fix continuous bugs.....

Love the windows OS. Not going back.

I feel the same. I got tired of flashing buggy ROMs every week. But if the OEMs keep pushing Android, Android will be on top for awhile. Microsoft doesn't do enough to push the platform.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I feel the same. I got tired of flashing buggy ROMs every week. But if the OEMs keep pushing Android, Android will be on top for awhile. Microsoft doesn't do enough to push the platform.

You should see the ads in the UK for crapple!! Pretty much EVERY bank is pushing iBone and crapple pay.

How the hell do you compete with that!

Most android users are just sheep who follow who ever releases the latest 'fashion' icon. Even the iBone 6 has an ad that clearly states " this is the new iBone 6. Not a lot has changed". The ad then goes off and convinces the gullible that the same features, although tweeked, are needed. Even Samsung have released the same phone several times! Take the Note 3. After 12 months it was deemed outdated by Samdung. No software updates, as promised, then Note 4 appears, straight to lollipop whilst 3 users get left behind. Luckily I ported 4 rom to the 3 with unbelievable ease. Even managed to get S6 apps included, and port S6 rom as well. Note 3 v Note 4 antutu scores were negligible in difference!

I am not a fashionista. I want a device that works. I have a 640xl and a 1320. I can take either one with me and they operate in EXACTLY the same manner, with identical start screens, the same tiles etc. Total outlay?? ?259.00!! Less than half the price of a banana phone or a stupid edge phone.

Unfortunately, until these sheep get a new sheep dog to show them the way, we will have to see how continuum / W10M perform. Will they jump ship?? Who knows. I guess the market share figures will tell us.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, that is all part of MS's (Nadella's) plan. If MS makes their other services/apps (OneDrive, Skype, OneNote, Bing, Outlook, Cortana, etc...) on all platforms really excellent, then sooner or later some iAndroid users are going to think, "Damn, if MS's services are really this good and reliable I should pick up a W10 phone too."

I cannot laugh enough when I see such comments. You think an Android user or iPhone user will come to WP just because MS services are great? If these services are great on their platform, why switch to one that is barely supported by carriers and shops, and even worse by devs? We need good apps in both design and functionality! When a users decides to try WP he must not have any block points such as..APPS!! he has on his phone and on WP are either missing or are present but outdated and half broken.
I have used all platforms but BB. switched between them every year to see for myself the good and the bad.
I will come back to WP when the OS will be again LAG FREE and with an in place design..seriously, win10 is a mess on phones, looks like a broken shrinked down PC user interface! Apps won't be a problem anymore, MS's customer service will get some decent quality, not just some guys hired to read from a paper list, and HW problems on the phones won't be so severe: L920,930,830,1520 all had issues...not mentioning them again, you had to be lucky to get a handset without any issues-> After all these are solved I will think again about switching to WP again.
Continuum won't magically bring hundreds of users to WP!! stop this nonsense and think in a realistic way!
Iris scanner WON'T be a WOW factor! The same as Touch ID was not a WOW factor, it was nice,new but not WOW!
The only thing now I see way better on the two new Lumias is the camera. From the leaked sample pictures, the camera on those two is clearly ahead of anything on the market now; way ahead, better in every aspect. But only the camera won't be enough.

Last edited:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I get that there is some frustration right now with apps being released earlier on Android and Ios, and being better on those platforms, I have felt that same angst. But looking at the "long view", Satya has said on more than one occasion that their goal is to have the BEST experience for MS apps and services be on WP...

Rome wasn't built in a day, and WP has a LONG way to go to be a viable player, but considering the mess Ballmer left us with, I am cautiously EXCITED about where MSFT is going with mobile...

Those who wish to can now resume their wailing and gnashing of teeth. LOL

It's the same story all over again. Always the same excuse: WP has long way to go...always. While some have enough patience, others have lost it.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I cannot laugh enough when I see such comments. You think an Android user or iPhone user will come to WP just because MS services are great? If these services are great on their platform, why switch to one that is barely supported by carriers and shops, and even worse by devs?
Stop dreaming.
It worked for other manufactures such as Macs for Apple, Honda auto back in the 80's, and Amazon.com in the 90's. It's not a dream, it's history. You build something great and people notice and rethink their products/services of choice.

Barely supported by carriers? Stop thinking about the U.S. That thinking is too shortsighted. The US is too saturated and loyalties are too embedded. There is a whole other market that within the next 15-20 years will overshadow market share in the U.S, mainly in India and African nations. MS knows this.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
True. And I have no problem with that. I'm just saying that developers that are "all in" on Android or iOS are not going to start suddenly developing Windows apps until they see the payoff. And that is perfectly fine with me. But if a new breed of developer pops up, and we get those apps on Windows phone, thanks to Universal Apps, it is better than the situation we've got right now. That's why I'm not putting a lot of stock into these development "projects" that Microsoft is touting. Project Astoria is already on hiatus as it is.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Regardless of what I think about it have to take off my hat to Microsoft for making the effort. Everyone else has a "take it or leave it" attitude. At least Microsoft wants to make it easier for developers to innovate.

lakebay

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm an Android user looking to make the switch and the lack of GAPPS was a hurdle to me.
But after getting the 640 to test things out. I don't consider that an issue at all.
There are a few things holding me back but the lack of Google isn't one of them.
I really really want to make things work with W10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte