Windows 10 mobile release date 24 september

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(9573638)

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
There's nothing official yet, but my guess is when the Lumia 950 gets released, so end of september/early October (the date is still a rumor though).

terryw64

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I hope not... because they still have a lot of work to do, not with just the OS itself, but support apps as well. Not too mention that a majority of people use social media and the apps for that are lacking.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope not... because they still have a lot of work to do, not with just the OS itself, but support apps as well. Not too mention that a majority of people use social media and the apps for that are lacking.

Amen to that - especially the part where you say they need to get their act together when it comes to the OS itself! And by that I don’t mean what Gabe Aul seems to be talking about when he says windows 10 is pretty much 'feature complete' and that work is now focused on the core quality.

Focusing on core quality - all nice and dandy, but in case it escaped them: Usability is absolutely atrocious in its current state! Abysmal! And please tell me why on earth did they even bother starting the feedback program if they clearly don't care about the thousands of people telling them to at least copy android's swipe from left gesture as well, so one can at least access the horridly placed hamburger menus? Ah yes, because they cannot do that – the UI is such an inconsistent mess that still uses pivots in some places, so that would conflict quite nicely. Don’t believe me? Let’s see: We have pivots and NO hamburger menus (people hub), pivots AND hamburger menus - but no three dots bottom right (msn finance), then we have NO pivots and instead almost entirely vertically layed out apps WITH hamburger menu AND three dots bottom right (msn weather app) and then any kind of hybrid in between (groove, photo etc.). I mean seriously! What kind of best-practice is Microsoft here trying to convey to third party devs? Free for all as design methodology?

Doesn’t really matter, some might say, but that is simply not true: Even after having used w10 as my daily driver for multiple weeks, I still find myself rummaging through three dots, hamburgers etc. trying to find some setting – but as there simply is zero logic to where I would even start to look it is purely trial and error. It is an abysmally inconsistent, amateurish design excercise!

The irony: Trying to unify and clarify everything by having the same elements on the desktop and phone (smart) and in the exact same positions (dumb) they have created one of the worst user experiences I've had to whiteness in recent years. It is such a mess... One more time: This needs fixing on the same priority as the ‘core work’!

Heck, I used to love this UI: It was bold, it was functional, it was consistent – and now they have butchered it into this wannabe-android disaster... it is a shame to be honest.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Amen to that - especially the part where you say they need to get their act together when it comes to the OS itself! And by that I don’t mean what Gabe Aul seems to be talking about when he says windows 10 is pretty much 'feature complete' and that work is now focused on the core quality....his UI: It was bold, it was functional, it was consistent – and now they have butchered it into this wannabe-android disaster... it is a shame to be honest.

I cannot imagine the kinds of drugs they sell in your neighborhood but from the way you speak about this OS, WinXM, there is no way in this world would I ever believe you have ever touched it beyond maybe fondling it at an AT&T store. OMG, you call it things I have heard only come from petulant CSR's at sprint and Verizon. How on Gods green earth can anyone be confused as you are navigating this OS?

My 81 year old, very non technical mother in law got how to use this phone in less than 2 weeks. I showed my 920 running WinXM, she likes it and she gets it. She does because she owns one and she uses it. If you see a hamburger, touch it, learn what's there and move on. See some ellipses, touch that, learn what's there and move on. Once you know, you know. But you don't know even after you've seen it. Or claim to have seen it.
It is not at all a difficult operating system to navigate or to use. Never has been. The logic is this, ellipses some places, hamburger in other places. How you could be this level of unsure is absolutely mind blowing.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This guy knows what's up! I used to dream about Win10 and how it's going to be so awesome. And now once I've seen the design, I want a dumb phone, I'm done with this!
Maybe you're too harsh, it's not SO TERRIBLE, but it's pretty bad (design-and-usability wise). After all, it will get better over time, though I fear the changes will be slow.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
If you see a hamburger, touch it, learn what's there and move on. See some ellipses, touch that, learn what's there and move on. Once you know, you know. But you don't know even after you've seen it. Or claim to have seen it.
It is not at all a difficult operating system to navigate or to use. Never has been. The logic is this, ellipses some places, hamburger in other places.

Thank you for reiterating the very definition of bad user interface design!

"User interface design (UI) or user interface engineering is the design of user interfaces for machines and software, (...) with the focus on maximizing the user experience. The goal of user interface design is to make the user's interaction as simple and efficient as possible, in terms of accomplishing user goals"

Going from app to app and setting to setting having to look for things, re-learn and actively memorize where to find what on a per-page basis, i.e. without any common unified logic, is EXACTLY what I was ranting about - and it most certainly is not "simple and efficient". I cannot even let you off the hook on the basis of a "to each his own" logic: This is OBJECTIVELY terrible user interface design:

"Effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction can be seen as quality factors of usability."

This is all measurable, mind you, and if I remember correctly the initial wp7 launch ad campaign focussed PURELY on UI Efficiency (that dude who challenged everyone). Try counting clicks for ... pretty much everything w10 and you'll notice it ALL takes much longer to accomplish than in wp8.1. Try looking at consistency and you will find that ...pretty much everything is inconsistent in w10 when compared to wp8.1 - where there WAS an overarching design language in place. Try to look at their feedback forum when it comes to, say, the placement and accessibility of the hamburger menu and judge user satisfaction. IMHO microsoft is just plain wrong in trying to counter a lackluster PR department by coaxing their design department somewhere into nowhereland between iOS and Android!

And trust me: You blindly defending such a mess doesn't make it any better, but simply outs you a (pretty young?) ******.

...and worst of all: I was only ranting about ONE element, really. Mind you there's a lot more to cry about…

Last edited:

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
166 - I simply did not spend enough time on 512 to come to any meaningful conclusions. 166 was also the first build I used as my daily driver and core-wise I thought it was remarkably stable for such an early build.

I did install 512 on my 930 the moment it came out, though, mostly because I had some weired scrolling lag on the start screen with 166 that bugged me a bit. Happy to see this did indeed get fixed, too. With regards to the UI/UX problems I 'described' earlier I only checked the main Microsoft apps to see if they started to fix things in the sense that they went either way, i.e. either eliminated all pivots, or dots or (hey, there's hope!) the hamburgers - but none of that seems to be the case. Still something of everything everywhere. ..also no ?dirty fix? for the (dumb) upper left hand hamburgers was introduced, so no swipe from left or similar, which ? quite obviously ? drives me up the walls :p

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We have a while to go. Sept 24 might be the date of the phone announcements. Usually the new phones wont be out till nov the earliest. So I am pretty sure we have till at least nov for windows 10 mobile release.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We have a while to go. Sept 24 might be the date of the phone announcements. Usually the new phones wont be out till nov the earliest. So I am pretty sure we have till at least nov for windows 10 mobile release.

Microsoft would do well to have the new devices ready by Black Friday (the day after US Thanksgiving) which is November 27. It would be a major boost to getting into one of WP's toughest markets.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that when people say they want W10M to be 'awesome', what they actually mean is that they want a flashy, graphically intense UI.... They have missed the point, and I would say, go get an Android device. That should satisfy your needs....

YapWH

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm very happy with the 10512 works fine for me, and love the way the settings are grouped although its abit confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll find it waaay easier to locate what you want compared to in win 8.1. & 7. Plus the search bar is a godsend, sometimes I'm just lazy to click. :D

I just installed it on my 535 and there was no noticeable lag, although some apps has to be reinstalled before functioning correctly again.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
go get an Android device. That should satisfy your needs....

Hi Geddeeee, I take it this wasn't directed at me but a general comment? Because otherwise I would have to say you did not get my argument at all - which in a way is precisely advocating to NOT turn w10 into a ‘graphically intense’, discombobulated mess such as Android (although I have to say that their material design language fixed a LOT of stuff for the better – such as move AWAY from hamburger menus for example…).

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No.. definitely not directed at you, just a general comment about what some people see as 'awesome'.... Aero on notification shade etc...
I'm sure you get where I'm coming from....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos