Since installing Windows-10, my computer shuts down and powers off, why?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I installed windows-10 about 1 week ago and for some reason it shuts down and powers off my desktop computer. So far it has happened every night and it happens atleast 2-3 times during the day, if not more. It shuts down if I leave my browser and email open, and it happens even when I close down everything and walk away from my computer.

DavidGDFC

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Every since installing windows-10, my computer shuts down and powers off

Hello,

I have the same problem: my computer shuts down unexpectedly, most of the time during the boot, only a few seconds after the Windows logo comes up, but it's just happened to me now with my Windows session open. I don't know if it has to do with Windows itself (with last week's update) or with the Nvidia drivers I updated a few days ago, or if it's a problem related to my computer.

I want to add that it never happened to me when I had Windows 7.

Any ideas to find out where the problem is?

DavidKnows

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
The biggest mistake I made was 'upgrading' to 10. As poor as 8.1 was, it worked. When 10 was installed I lost video and sound. Since Microsoft remotely 'repaired' that I have sound and video -- but it shuts down every night when I'm in my browser.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't know about the shutting down during boot up but what I have noticed is that when you install/upgrade to W10, your power settings are automatically switched to some kind of laptop/tablet power saving setting even if you have a PC.

My system was doing the same thing for a while and I was a bit confused. I checked the power settings and the system was set to go into sleep mode after a period of time. Based on how my PC is built, when it goes into sleep mode, there are no external lights flashing and it appears to be completely shut down. When I hit the power button, everything powers up like it was off and then after a few seconds I was at the login screen.

The only thing that made me think this was different from my normal shut down was that it loaded a little bit faster. That made me think to check the power saving features and there it was. The thing is, the Sleep Mode in W10 doesn't seem like the Sleep Mode in previous Windows OS's, but is more like Hibernate Mode.

As soon as I turned off the sleep mode, I never had these mysterious shut downs.

It may not be the problem some of you are having but it sounds like what I was going through.

andrewgbott

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Every since installing windows-10, my computer shuts down and powers off

Hello,

I have the same problem: my computer shuts down unexpectedly, most of the time during the boot, only a few seconds after the Windows logo comes up, but it's just happened to me now with my Windows session open. I don't know if it has to do with Windows itself (with last week's update) or with the Nvidia drivers I updated a few days ago, or if it's a problem related to my computer.

I want to add that it never happened to me when I had Windows 7.

Any ideas to find out where the problem is?

Having the exact same issue - were you (or anyone else) able to resolve this?

Lord Method Man

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I had this issue when I installed Samsung's NMVe driver for my SM951 SSD. Whenever the PC went to sleep it would shut down entirely.

I rolled back to the generic NVM Express Driver from Microsoft and it the problem went away.

wildg00se

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Good day eager young minds,

I too have experienced the same problem. I resolved my issue by going to Settings > System > Power & Sleep (I turned every option on "Never"...but that is just my preference) > Additional power settings (Under "Related setting") > Change plan settings (across from whichever power plan bubble option is highlighted and again I changed all options to "Never" again..personal preference) > Navigate to Change advanced power settings >

Under Power Options click the tab ...

-Hard disk
-Turn off hard
On battery: Never
Plugged in: Never

Click "Apply" and "Ok"

I've been on my computer from 5:46 am until now 12:01 pm without one abrupt shutdown. Hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs