Black screens on Windows 10 Startup and Shutdown

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
My Windows 10 PC seems to be working OK but I notice that between the Windows 10 splash screen and the user sign on page there's a period of time when the screen simply goes black. The system does get to the sign on page but black screens freak me out a bit and I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this? If so, do you know the cause and how to fix it?

Also when I log off I'm seeing the same thing. With Windows 10 when I shut down there's a brief period when the screen is simply black and I'm now having to rely on the sound of my machine turning off vs. the visual queues that I had under Windows 7. Again, anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick update...... I posted a similar thread on the Microsoft Community Forum and I got back a reply from a Microsoft Support Engineer who said "We're working on that". I guess I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Over on the Tom's Hardware Forum it was suggested that this might be a video driver issue and it was suggested that I uninstall the AMD driver and reinstall it. That sounded like a good suggestion but AMD is no longer supporting this card and has not supported this card in some time. When they were supporting it I had issues with one of the more current drivers and had to back level to an earlier drive to make my PC work correctly. Right now I don't have a copy of the driver I have installed and the suggestion of removing the existing driver just fills me up with fear, uncertainty and doubt (aka FUD). I hope that someone out here on this forum finds a solution to this issue that doesn't involve removing the existing driver but If not then perhaps I'll buy a new card that is supported under Windows 10 but for now I'm even going to hold off on that purchase to insure that the manufacturers have time to make their Windows 10 drivers available.

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Thought I might update this again.....

I had a problem with my PC that forced me to restore my hard drive from an image taken 1 day after I upgraded to Windows 10. After the restore I discovered another problem and while trying to fix that other problem I ran Windows Repair found on Tweaking.com. The other problem, I won't go into but prior to running Windows Repair my PC was displaying a black screen for about 16 seconds between the Windows 10 splash screen and the Log In screen. After running Windows Repair I'm now only seeing the black screen for about 1 second. Although I cannot specifically tell you what Windows Repair fixed but obviously a drop in the black screen duration time by 15 seconds tells me that this utility fixed something. Before this change I was about ready to spend $200 on a new video card but 1 second is tolerable so I'm saving my money. The other noteworthy thing about this is that after I upgraded to Windows 10 I assumed hat my PC would have been very clean of errors, corruptions, etc. but Windows Repair found a lot of things wrong with my PC after the upgrade so if you're having any problems or suspect that you're having an issue I would run this free utility to see if it doesn't straighten things out.

SShu

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I think I found the work around, I have same problem on my 8" tablet, I have uncheck turn on fast startup under power option / all setting, now my tablet shutdown completely every time.

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I eventually had to reinstall Windows 10 and things are still OK on the startup black screen which I attribute to my old graphics card but the brief time it's black is acceptable. After the reinstall of Windows 10 my shutdown time got really long and remembered that I had some tweaks in my Windows 7 install and found an article on the internet that covered what to do and it really sped up my shutdown. Here's the article. How to Speed up Slow Shutdown in Windows 10

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12