Back to 8.1

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't take it anymore... Windows 10 to buggy for me. May try again in a couple of months, but right now I can't deal with all the issues that keep popping up.

I just wanted to add that I am by no means bashing the OS... It's just not working for me right now is all and I am happy to wait a while until it is more polished. :)

Last edited:

Bob Mitchell1

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Buggy isn't the word. Ran Windows update on Tues...got the cumulative update on my Dell Venue Pro 11. Rebooted after install to a black screen. Had to pull the battery to get the machine to start back up again. Then...when rebooted...still black screen for about another 2 to 3 minutes...then screen turned blue...with "Windows is updating" and progress....first thing I did when I got back to Windows 10 was roll back to 8.1.

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Think I'm just going to wait a while... Spending my days tweaking windows 10 is no longer fun. So many people having different types of issues across the board. It just feels not ready to me.

Broomcorn

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I did the same thing today. What a feeling of relief to be able to easily revert to 8.1. Will update to Windows 10 when it is ready.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't take it anymore... Windows 10 to buggy for me. May try again in a couple of months, but right now I can't deal with all the issues that keep popping up.

I hear ya, buggy as heck, Can believe Microsoft released it like this. With all the hype around Windows 10, they should of delayed it for a month or so to get it right. With all the information they had access to with the Insider program, they could of made it almost perfect but, it is a fail because they HADE TO MEET A DEADLINE (dumb move Microsoft).

At least I am dual booting, so I can go back to Windows 7, (was never a fan of 8.1)... So, I will stick with 7 till we get Sp1...

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
This is a Windows 10 thread... I am sorry but filling it with "I went back to 8.1" is not good for the forum. that's filling Windows 10 with crap.

anyway, complaining and saying Windows 10 is buggy? really? it works better than Windows 7 and 8 ever did for me. the only bug I had was pin and unpin tiles didn't work well, until I restarted computer and I never had that problem again. or the recent installed apps got stucked.
of course I clean installed, it only took some hours to install all the software I needed.
But my dad's laptop which is an upgrade from 8, it is also fine, nothing like people seem to say here. the only thing I had to do was to download audio driver and it was the only issue.

so why are you experience bad and mine is good? who knows, but I would suggest, like I have said before, that your upgrades probably went over Windows 7 and 8 full of crap installations, toolbars, and programs that changed the success of the upgrade, do you really think upgrades are 100% perfect? it's upgrading files over other files that might have been modified. maybe you didn't even install the drivers for your hardware.

again, Windows 10 works fine on my computers, and I have used Windows long enough to know when it sucks and when it doesn't, when it feels heavy or unfinished and when it feels alright. but of course I know how to do things, I am not lazy to clean install even if my upgrades went alright I just wanted to make sure registry and system files would be correct, and don't get a bug and say "it's not ready"

Funny thing is, most people here haven't ever upgraded Windows, because it was paid. now you get it free and you think it was always a great experience a seamlessly and nice one? going from one windows to the other was never the best thing, just like when you upgrade Windows Phone or Mobile and then you have to hardreset to make it work fine if a bug is found. why? because installing anything can affect anything.
Some people probably ran ccleaner and deleted registry entries, or they removed or installed services that affected stuff, maybe an antivirus or anything, maybe malware or just about anything.

So again, Windows 10 is fine, it's fast and to me it's pretty too. don't say Windows 10 is buggy and not finished if you haven't done a clean install first. probably nobody here will, but you can't really say something is buggy when you are upgrading. and upgradings are gamble unless you are updating from a not full of crap windows 7 or 8.

gedstar

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Well I done an upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro on both a Laptop and Desktop and everything is working extremely well on both, had a bit of an slight issue with Graphics Drivers but got that sorted. For me I cleaned up both systems before the upgrades and they went fine, actually like Windows 10. No need for me to clean install as I keep my systems in pretty good shape, help's when you work in IT :cool:
There's hasn't been a Microsoft OS that didn't have bugs and issues on first release and Windows 10 is no exception!
For me all is good so I'm planning on sticking with Windows 10 it's what Windows 8.1 should have been

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
This is a Windows 10 thread... I am sorry but filling it with "I went back to 8.1" is not good for the forum. that's filling Windows 10 with crap.

anyway, complaining and saying Windows 10 is buggy? really? it works better than Windows 7 and 8 ever did for me. the only bug I had was pin and unpin tiles didn't work well, until I restarted computer and I never had that problem again. or the recent installed apps got stucked.
of course I clean installed, it only took some hours to install all the software I needed.
But my dad's laptop which is an upgrade from 8, it is also fine, nothing like people seem to say here. the only thing I had to do was to download audio driver and it was the only issue.

so why are you experience bad and mine is good? who knows, but I would suggest, like I have said before, that your upgrades probably went over Windows 7 and 8 full of crap installations, toolbars, and programs that changed the success of the upgrade, do you really think upgrades are 100% perfect? it's upgrading files over other files that might have been modified. maybe you didn't even install the drivers for your hardware.

again, Windows 10 works fine on my computers, and I have used Windows long enough to know when it sucks and when it doesn't, when it feels heavy or unfinished and when it feels alright. but of course I know how to do things, I am not lazy to clean install even if my upgrades went alright I just wanted to make sure registry and system files would be correct, and don't get a bug and say "it's not ready"

Funny thing is, most people here haven't ever upgraded Windows, because it was paid. now you get it free and you think it was always a great experience a seamlessly and nice one? going from one windows to the other was never the best thing, just like when you upgrade Windows Phone or Mobile and then you have to hardreset to make it work fine if a bug is found. why? because installing anything can affect anything.
Some people probably ran ccleaner and deleted registry entries, or they removed or installed services that affected stuff, maybe an antivirus or anything, maybe malware or just about anything.

So again, Windows 10 is fine, it's fast and to me it's pretty too. don't say Windows 10 is buggy and not finished if you haven't done a clean install first. probably nobody here will, but you can't really say something is buggy when you are upgrading. and upgradings are gamble unless you are updating from a not full of crap windows 7 or 8.
Relax.... I was only sharing my experience... You don't know what I started with as far as install, nor the problems I had. I liked Windows 10 and will probably give it another shot in a couple of months. No need to be so harsh. Have a great day. :smile:

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

If you have to say that a clean install is required for Windows 10 to work correctly, then that is a sign that there are indeed issues and it is not working as intended. When millions of people are expected to upgrade, it needs to be more reliable than "a gamble."

Please don't assume that everyone who dislikes Windows 10 is incompetent and can't figure out how to use a computer. I'm glad for you that your install went well and you like 10, but you're suggesting that anyone who didn't have your experience just doesn't know anything, which is untrue. I installed drivers and did not go changing stuff in the registry. My upgrade on the tablet put it into a boot loop to where it was unusable without a clean install (I chose to return to 8), and my upgrade on my laptop went fine. However, I found plenty of issues that made me choose to return to 8, including major lag, no longer being able to manually pin individual files to start, and the fact that things like Search and the Taskbar would routinely crash. It doesn't mean 10 is horrible, but as stated above, I don't want to spend all my time tweaking 10 to see if I can get it to work, when I can use 8 without a problem and have features I personally prefer, like the faster, more customizable start screen (IMO), and OneDrive placeholders.
What it comes down to is that lots of people who follow the directions and use it as intended are having some problems. Not everyone, but a lot of people.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have to say that a clean install is required for Windows 10 to work correctly

Really, when hasn't a clean install been recommended for every new version of Windows? The way Windows works, with its registry and shared libraries and the general bloat every version goes through as its used, inherently causes problems with upgrades. Sure, Microsoft may not officially say so, but if you've had any sort of a support role with Windows PCs ever, you just know that Windows upgrades can cause weird problems.

"Reboot" and "reinstall" are the two most common phrases in any Windows support person's vocabulary.

Why should Windows 10 be any different? Especially with the sweeping changes they've made from 7 to 8 to 10. I don't give credence to any bug reports posted here unless the user has done a clean install; there's no telling what kinds of crap had built up in previous Windows installations.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded 4 laptops and 2 desktops to Windows 10 without a hitch. And I have to say I just love windows 10. I did a little reading on other peoples experiences before I did mine and that helped a lot.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
it depends what you are running windows on. On a surface pro, it's simply terrible: overheating (fans are always on, even in sleep mode), battery drain, continuum is a joke, touch controls are just bad, some apps are crashing or get unresponsive, notification center is simply not ready yet... As I said a few months back, when they anounced the release of win10, I was surprised by the tight deadline considering the state of win10 back then. I installed the very first preview on my pc (not surface pro) and everything was actually smooth and stable. The closer from the release, the buggier. On my pc, the experience is "ok" but not great either.

I did a clean install and have been using windows, mac and linux for years so, yeah, i know what I'm doing. It can also go bad on other platforms, believe me, however, windows has been the worst for me through the years, hands down, except windows 8 and 8.1 that were surprisingly stable and smooth.

Will see in a few months if things have improved but so far, i'm clearly unimpressed.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Buggy isn't the word. Ran Windows update on Tues...got the cumulative update on my Dell Venue Pro 11. Rebooted after install to a black screen. Had to pull the battery to get the machine to start back up again. Then...when rebooted...still black screen for about another 2 to 3 minutes...then screen turned blue...with "Windows is updating" and progress....first thing I did when I got back to Windows 10 was roll back to 8.1.

Wait... you consider an update giving you a blank screen instead of "updating" to be buggy enough to roll back? lol.
It happens when you restart because windows has to make sure all files are ready for when the system reboots. Dell likely includes signature checks in the POST to make sure files are valid or hasn't updated their drivers to work with this particular scenario. Either way, it does its job.

Do you roll back your car from a tesla to a ford because you can't hear the engine starting?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded 4 laptops and 2 desktops to Windows 10 without a hitch. And I have to say I just love windows 10. I did a little reading on other peoples experiences before I did mine and that helped a lot.

I know over 10+ people who have had nothing but good experiences. I have an old samsung laptop that works great and my custom built gaming rig is amazing on it too. The majority of people have had no issues. It's a small vocal minority. It's like that for everything. The people that are pissed go on about it everywhere releasing their anger. There's also a lot of people on the internet who are pessimistic/depressed/angry/negative. Hehe.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
it depends what you are running windows on. On a surface pro, it's simply terrible: overheating (fans are always on, even in sleep mode), battery drain, continuum is a joke, touch controls are just bad, some apps are crashing or get unresponsive, notification center is simply not ready yet... As I said a few months back, when they anounced the release of win10, I was surprised by the tight deadline considering the state of win10 back then. I installed the very first preview on my pc (not surface pro) and everything was actually smooth and stable. The closer from the release, the buggier. On my pc, the experience is "ok" but not great either.

I did a clean install and have been using windows, mac and linux for years so, yeah, i know what I'm doing. It can also go bad on other platforms, believe me, however, windows has been the worst for me through the years, hands down, except windows 8 and 8.1 that were surprisingly stable and smooth.

Will see in a few months if things have improved but so far, i'm clearly unimpressed.

That isn't the case for every Surface Pro user, I admit my fan came on because of overheating and a quick search revealed the culprit to be a simple setting, turned this off on my SP3 and my wife's SP1 and no more issues.

I have it installed on two Surfaces, a laptop (Touch Screen) a desktop and a HP Stream 7 tablet and have no other issues apart from the easily solved Surface one, no crashes, the thing seems very stable, all machines are upgrades, the only thing I have with 10 on that is on a clean setup is my 1520 and now that is on 10512 even that is pretty stable (Upgrade from 10166 with no reset as it's not needed it).

I know we all have different experiences and that is why it is better to say something like "For me this has been crap" rather than "It is crap" as that is a far easier to defend argument.

So in my case I can say "For me Windows 10 has been a really good move, very little trouble and I can't wait for the mobile version to come out of testing and to see the full works with it on the Xbox One, loving some of the new stuff, and once they get OneDrive and Skype sorted I will be super happy".

I really liked 8.1 (I thought 8 was a disaster but 8.1 pulled it out of the bin) but I would struggle to go back and it's only been a week or so.

EDIT:

I thought I had better add, none of my devices are very old, so although I had initially copied over years of files, music and pictures, I then discovered the joy of using a Microsoft account with stuff like OneDrive, I had baulked about this idea for many years, but once you take the plunge it just works, all your data is safe and you can do clean installs as often as you like anyway, it becomes very liberating.

But to take the plunge you first have to take your coat off and dive in ;-)

Last edited:

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That isn't the case for every Surface Pro user, I admit my fan came on because of overheating and a quick search revealed the culprit to be a simple setting, turned this off on my SP3 and my wife's SP1 and no more issues.

I have it installed on two Surfaces, a laptop (Touch Screen) a desktop and a HP Stream 7 tablet and have no other issues apart from the easily solved Surface one, no crashes, the thing seems very stable, all machines are upgrades, the only thing I have with 10 on that is on a clean setup is my 1520 and now that is on 10512 even that is pretty stable (Upgrade from 10166 with no reset as it's not needed it).

I know we all have different experiences and that is why it is better to say something like "For me this has been crap" rather than "It is crap" as that is a far easier to defend argument.

So in my case I can say "For me Windows 10 has been a really good move, very little trouble and I can't wait for the mobile version to come out of testing and to see the full works with it on the Xbox One, loving some of the new stuff, and once they get OneDrive and Skype sorted I will be super happy".

I really liked 8.1 (I thought 8 was a disaster but 8.1 pulled it out of the bin) but I would struggle to go back and it's only been a week or so.

EDIT:

I thought I had better add, none of my devices are very old, so although I had initially copied over years of files, music and pictures, I then discovered the joy of using a Microsoft account with stuff like OneDrive, I had baulked about this idea for many years, but once you take the plunge it just works, all your data is safe and you can do clean installs as often as you like anyway, it becomes very liberating.

But to take the plunge you first have to take your coat off and dive in ;-)

I agree, "On a surface pro, FOR ME, it's been a disaster :)"

Something may have gone wrong,even if i still wonder WHAT, however, I don't have that much time to waste to reinstall things over and over again. I know it's a necessary step and i'll probably do it at some point but man...

8.1 for me was simply great, gestures, user experience and interface, everything was intuitive, at least for me. Moving to win 10 feels like a step back, at least when it comes to touch controls. Once again, it may get better with time, or not. However, it would be great if we could keep our OS stable for more then 2 years or if they could simply improve the experience without revamping everything each time, I would be so happy (south park reference).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos