Why is W10M lacking features?

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
When looking at different sites where people are discussing the new phone systems iOS 9, Android M and W10M it seems like both iOS9 and Andorid M will get a lot of new features while W10M will lose features compared to WP8.1?

Is that (another) sign of MS dumping their phones or why is this? WP8 lost some nice features from WP7 and it feels really bad if we again lose features in W10M. How can Apple and Google do switches of OS and where they increase the functionality while MS seems to have to step back every time?

(IF things are as I believe I think MS should be honest about it and stop flogging this horse)

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Can you give some examples?

You ask what is missing in W10M vs WP8.1?
It’s a lot of things everywhere in the system. Some more important than other but many still ”nice to haves” .

Some examples (but all you have to do is to try W10M):
Impossible to use the phone with one hand (this is a big step backwards)! Difficult to clear notifications, No week numbers in calendar, no month view, no shared mail folders, no HERE maps/apps, no ME tile and FB sync, no customization of sounds, EDGE (does not work on most pages and does not sync) etc etc.

Just use it and you will notice

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You ask what is missing in W10M vs WP8.1?
It’s a lot of things everywhere in the system. Some more important than other but many still ”nice to haves” .

Some examples (but all you have to do is to try W10M):
Impossible to use the phone with one hand (this is a big step backwards)! Difficult to clear notifications, No week numbers in calendar, no month view, no shared mail folders, no HERE maps/apps, no ME tile and FB sync, no customization of sounds, EDGE (does not work on most pages and does not sync) etc etc.

Just use it and you will notice

What are you talking about? Calendar doesn't show week numbers in 8.1 and week number is under settings in Outlook Calendar. Hit the down arrow next to the month name in Outlook Calendar and your get a month view. Here Drive+ and Here Maps are both listed on my phone under installed apps.

Eyes are really good, try using them.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
to ad some things to that list: in the recent call list there is no longer a "search contacts" option if the person you're looking should not be in that list - so you'll have to leave the app, go into contacts, find the person, swipe right and then click call; also tap and hold no longer has the 'send text' option in call lists like it used to have in wp8.1, settings are also no longer conveniently grouped consistently - one example: in wp8.1 all email & social accounts were to be found in the system settings, unified under one 'accounts' tab. Now that still is the case - but only for the Microsoft account. All other accounts migrated into all kinds of places - such as into the outlook app. more of those annoyances right there: In the outlook app you will finally find those settings by going into the hamburger menu top left - and then back down to the bottom right, where they hide behind the cog icon - and icon sometimes placed IN that hamburger menu - or sometimes in the three dot menu (e.g. the camera app). Those kind of things are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Sure, you can still use the OS, it's just... annoying to do so.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? Calendar doesn't show week numbers in 8.1 and week number is under settings in Outlook Calendar. Hit the down arrow next to the month name in Outlook Calendar and your get a month view. Here Drive+ and Here Maps are both listed on my phone under installed apps.

agree, I also still have those apps available and the Information in the calendar app is there - it is just very easy to overlook said Things (the calendar info that is), which does speak volumes with regards to the state of the general UI layout...

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Eyes are really good, try using them.

I'll do a hard reset because I don’t have them (L 925).

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You have to look at these OS's as three separate entity's.

From my experience with Android, at a rom cooker level, they keep updating it purely to maintain their lead! How many phones are there that are less than two years old, and no longer get updates?? There are many. Take the phone I had. I had a note 3. The note 4 get's launched with 5.0.1 as it was a new flagship. The note 3 was left hanging for several months, until the Polish 5.0 was released. Despite this, many markets were left without it, and many far eastern markets didn't get it until much later, if at all. Our version was 5.0, the note 4 5.0.1 (with many improvements). All done to sell units, not just note 4. Samdung were not impressed when we managed to port a note 4 rom to the note 3, with VERY little effort. The note 3 ran just as well producing a relatively comparable Antutu score.

Android has major **** ups as well. 4.0 - 4.4, no provision to store apps on SD card. The only way was to 'root', at which point ( again in my experience ), Samdung inform you that your warranty is now invalid as you have burnt the knox fuse!!

What I detest the most about Android is that it is OPEN source, with kernels based on Linux, also open source, but manufacturers lock them down tight, and fill them with a shed load of bloatware. To use your device as intended, and use it beyond the two year ( now yearly, in some cases! ), you have to fail to comply with their 'closed' source arrangements. Also, why does a simple App need to know everything about you? Won't be long before they ask for your inside leg measurement!!

I HATE apple phones. Like Android, they are just Fashion Accessories that enable those of a, shallow disposition, to brag about to there 'mates'. Mugs!! Love Macs though, go figure....

As I said, had a note 3. Now have a 640XL. Never used the SPen ( another gimmick that I fell for like a mug ). The 640XL, for me, is more than capable of doing most things my note did. OK, no AMOLED scree, but who cares. The OS is VERY easy to use, and 10166 wasn't a bad effort.

You have to remember that this isn't the final edition. Unlike Android users, at least you know you are getting the update:wink: I don't really think direct comparison to Android / iOS is fair. They are all trying to do the same thing, and there are only so many times you can re-invent the wheel. It is weird though when you look at the desktop market and you see Win, Linux then iOS

Sorry for the ramble:eek:rly:

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
i dont know about you i have everything expect the swipe notifications but i can reply from the notification itself and thats a nice get for me
and ofc dude this is a preview they are adding these features again but they are all created from scratch thats why you lost them and get them once a month cause the coding differs i believe and its for the best :D

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
damnn i agree with everything :D and i would like to add that microsoft is getting phones to a new level with windows 10 ;) they get them to hand pc leve :D while the others are not even close to that xD well said bruh :D <3

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
If Msoft can elevate WP to the level of acceptance of Win 10, with a full blown integration ( not a half hearted effort ), with ported apps and continuum, the future should be rosy for WP. Anyone with half a brain could market it better than Ms have done in the past. For 'professionals' the OS is more than capable. For 'other' market shares, we need ported apps for those who require games etc. Maybe they just need to be shown a WP running a game that requires a fair chunk of resources. I give you Asphalt 8.... My Hudl, quadcore intel, 2 gig ram, glitches like the character in Wreck it Ralph!! My sons 435 runs it like a dream. As well as the 'ported' apps, we need better integration with XBOX. There are millions of XBOX ones out there, so why haven't the gamers attracted to WP??

Ms really need to think big and 'integrate' / 'market' to every aspect of their portfolio. Sadly, to draw people from Android and iOS, the store needs to be improved. As we all know, it is p**s poor! And then you get notified that one of the most used apps is being discontinued!! Really?

DumDee2

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft messed up by trying to push windows 10 os to most of the devices all once. What they shoulda have done is start with the 640 series(since its the newest) and built windows 10 for that. Then work on other phones with similiar or higher specs. After that the phones below your starting baseline. Instead their are constant updates of features not working one device versus another or basic stuff not working because your trying push an updated system to a multitude of devices instead of just working on a particular core.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the op is smoking crack, because most of those items missing aren't missing at all. AND THIS IS A TP (TECHNICAL PREVIEW) DUH.

Hold the windows home for reduced one handed operation, plus the space bar button lets you customize the keyboard, size and layout. Notifications are easier to deal with not sure whats wrong with you. Here Maps is replaced by a better integrated solutions.

FB is now relied upon through it's own native app, many reasons behind that and its actually better including the removal of the "ME" section. less bog down on the OS for all those integrated API's (especially for people that don't care about social networking and all the services MS was trying to plugin to), which also made updating them difficult.

I think you need to place some value on the fact this is one of the most fluid mobile OS. And at the end of the day if you are so unhappy with how things are progressing move on to a different OS.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo