Why is Windows 10 causing audio distortion/stuttering with Realtek and how do I fix it?

Ston3rPow3r

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I reinstalled Windows 10 pro 64bit without connecting to the Internet and installed all the latest drivers all worked well with system restore points in between each driver installed. When I connect to the Internet and automatic updates goes the update from via technologies, inc (there are 2) installs and I can no longer watch videos or play music as it is all chunky. I restore the system and everything is fine until it installs again. Trying to watch a movie while it installs to see if that stops the error from happening.

mrkemak

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Not a fix as such but - after wasting a ton of time chasing various different solutions to resolve this and be able to play The Division, I ended up buying a Soundblaster Audigy FX for $27 on Amazon.

I disabled the onboard Realtek in the BIOS then installed the Soundblaster - the difference was night and day - The game runs smoothly with no stuttering issues, if anything I think the CPU and memory usage are both noticably lower.

Bonus - the audio quality from the Soundblaster is better than the onboard was - and I didn't have issues with setting up 5.1 correctly like I'd had with the Realtek.

Do yourself a favor - if the easy fixes like updating drivers and turning off other apps/services don't work - don't waste hours trying to fix it, try a discrete sound card and move on.

Hope that helps someone out there

linuxus

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Reviving this old post but this issue still seems to be plaguing people in 2016! I experienced the same problems as described here with Realtek HD Audio and Windows 10.One good check to ensure your issue is similar is that the stuttering is NOT experienced during games but it is while streaming/watching video/etc.
Solution (if you can call it that): Disable CPU throttling.

1. Edit your current power plan
2. Go to advanced power settings
3. Under "Processor power management" make sure that your Minimum & Maximum processor states are set to 100%

DanBeale1

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you!

On my system, an ASUS X205ta with Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing, I was getting choppy audio, broken sound. The power plan settings don't allow users to adjust minimum and maximum processor states, but creating a new power plan fixes the problem.

Right click the Windows menu icon
Select Power Options
Select "Create a power plan"
Save the new plan.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to add further information, I have 4X devices running Realtek audio (with the latest W10 drivers), one with 5.1 and the others with stereo, all analogue. One uses the Dolby Surround variant of the Realtek driver package. I'm using release version of W10 Pro x64, Home x64 and Home x32. None of these exhibit the problem.

My concern is that some mobos/chipsets/audio chipsets are causing a problem rather than the OS or drivers, because from my testing the OS and the drivers are both capable of producing fine sound, so the variable here is the hardware.

Hopefully there is a way to work around the hardware idiosyncrasy with a driver or firmware update to your hardware. I recommend you check your mobo forum and firmware downloads.

Good luck!

Slayer5934

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I made an account to try to help and give my solution. I fixed my problem by right clicking the volume button, clicking playback devices, and enabling EVERY device listed in the Playback/Recording tabs (Right click each device, enable if not already.) Then I right clicked every device listed, went to properties, advanced tab, and unchecking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" on ALL devices except the ones without the option.

Let me know if this helps!

angussuthy

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi, i'm unaware if a true solution has been posted.

However, after some considerable time spent digging around the web, various forums etc. all people are suggesting is reverting back, that is simply not the answer. I was digging around in the realtek audio files, and discovered realtek has various apps which are installed with W10 that it conflicts with, many of these apps are uninstallable or "aftermarket". It varies with each PC, which to this day i am unaware why, I have access to 4 which i tested to make sure my information was 100% accurate.

Although i cannot be specific on the apps/programs that conflict with Realtek, i will say the majority of 3rd party webcam software that uses the default mic and speakers will cause a conflict. Those such as manycam and splitcam. Broadcasting software is completely okay and does not cause any problems, OBS, xSplit etc. work perfectly.

I would recommend uninstalling any audio related programs as many of these will install their own drivers.
Please note: Spotify, iTunes and Napster cause no conflict.

Should you need anymore advice or tutorials on how to solve this irritating problem, do not contact Microsoft,<email removed per rules>
I really do hope this solves many of your problems and you can enjoy windows 10.

Angus Sutherland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hans-Joosep Hanson

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

Had the same problem and nothing worked for me. Even bought a new audio card. That is until i stumbled upon a strange suggestion: "disable unnecessary network connections (Change adapter settings)". I had six of them enabled and 2 of them in use. And when i disabled 4 - no audio problems!

Hope it helps someone!

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I did have some audio stuttering problems right after installing Anniversary Update. It was system-wide, thought it fixed itself after a reboot. Now sometimes Cortana doesn't pick up Hello Cortana. Could it be a driver issue?

luanncofone

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I am a court reporter. Got new software that works with WIN 10 and when I first started for about a month in Aug 16 the audio, recording and playback, was fine but when I did an update on Sept 5, 2016, I went to a job and the audio was all distorted, now I realize stuttering is the perfect word for it. Yesterday I did system restore to a point before that last update and ran a test and it seems to work. Will know better when I take an actual job tomorrow. Any court reporters out there having the same problem??

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Try testing your system latency with LatencyMon (at idle). If that's your problem (sure sounds like it) it should help you identify which driver is the cause of the problem. Don't assume it is the audio drivers, often it can be the vid card driver causing latency issues which impacts the audio driver's operation. It can be other drivers though.

stlolth

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
MY SOLUTION:

I can confirm that changing the Default Format option alleviated the issue in my case but has not solved it completely. I'm using Windows 8.1, Realtek onboard sound and drivers. It appears that setting the highest available format quality results in least frequent stuttering, however in my case, at the below cited selected format, the stuttering is still present at times.

Go: Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers (or your preferred sound output device) > Properties > Advanced > Here change Default Format to: 24 bit 192000 Hz (Studio Quality) > Click Apply

New information: Choosing a lower quality Default Format - 16 bit 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) has solved the issue completely. If you are an audiophile or get a compulsive nagging sense of unease when you feel things aren't perfect, this solution might not be for you. I however am enjoying it.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Normally this is solved if you try installing a different Realtek driver. I had this problem before and tried installing the generic realtek driver instead of the one available from my mobo manufacturer and it worked. Try it.

paavop

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
I finally solved my audio stuttering problem. First of all i tried everything else and nothing seemed to work. I was pretty donezo with this problem. Downloaded latencymon- checker on my computer and it showed me that I have problems with my ACPI driver. Basicly went to device manager and under batteries I disabled my ASPI battery. God sakes it solved the problem.

KenSanDiego

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
This was my solution as well. After seeing all the frustration trying to solve this I just said fudge this (you can imagine what I really said) I bought that $27 soundblaster from amazon. Don't know why I even started using an onboard sound chip. guess I just got lazy. I always used to put a soundblaster in on computer builds. Oh well, learned my lesson.

ScottM2753

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem as well, bad audio after the Anniversary update - tried everything, nothing worked. It was HORRIBLE! The only thing that fixed it for me was downloading and installing the generic Realtek HD Audio Driver. Now it works fine.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have Realtech sound and internet.
PS I'm going to make a good hand on this forum soon!:wink: A little funny tonight! I would be no one with out Google. LOL
IMHO Realteck has went south. They will try to trick you to down load a 3rd party software to get their drivers. How sorry is that.
Here's the only link you can trust IMHO. Shame on you Realtech. Your days are numbered! BOOO Realtech! Don't trust Realtech. If you think you need a driver update go to your manufacture. This should get me some brownie points with staff.:wink: My tip today is always get your drivers from your manufactures
Realtek
Hers a quote from Realtech site!
Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website.

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

KenSanDiego

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Not a fix as such but - after wasting a ton of time chasing various different solutions to resolve this and be able to play The Division, I ended up buying a Soundblaster Audigy FX for $27 on Amazon.

I

Followup. Did the exact same thing. After trying every fix suggestion i could find with no luck, I bought the $27.99 Soundblaster Audigy card from Amazon. Came today, installed and my God, what a difference. Don't know why I ever started using on-board audio. Got lazy I guess. The difference is amazing. I forgot how good my little 2.1 (stereo plus sub) speaker setup could sound. Night and day.

Disabled on-board audio chip (called Azalia Codec) on my Gigabyte motherboard bios. Installed Soundblaster and all problems gone plus best audio i ever had on this machine.

Do it. Quit pulling your hair out. Spend the $27.99 and say goodbye to this issue.

mashipx

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
just to add guys, i have a semi pro pcie audio card using wdm and asio drivers. i too have this issue, even after setting the power management cpu state to 100% and changing the audio resolution.... its not down to your audio hardware. on board or not. its windows 10.... its just crap. my card and any other audio devies i use worked perfectly fine in windows 7. so much for windows 10 improving audio and midi performance....microsoft tried to fix something that wasnt already broken. i cant work on a single tune im creating without getting some kind of audio artifact popping up to spoil my sessions.
windows 10 may be smooth and fast..... but at what expense????... so tempted to go apple for my music production.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6