I think the Windows 10 (and attempted Start menu) fix may have killed my laptop - help, what do I do?

TBIstewart

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I think windows 10 (and attempted Start menu) fix have killed my laptop - help

I had an alert and downloaded Windows 10. When it loaded there no Start menu.

A lot of forums suggested opening powershell in admin and inserting Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}.

That didn't work so I tried another tip from the MS forum whereby you go into the Registry Editor and insert:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience. Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0.

Since then my laptop refuses to start-up at all, it says it is diagnosing the problem and then goes to automatic repair. Reset the PC doesn't work, system restore doesn't work, system image recovery doesn't work, check disk in the command prompt bit doesn't work.

I also tried...
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

I'm at my wit's end - is my laptop dead?? Any tips/suggestions (it has no disc drive and i have no repair disc and can't get online or beyond this auto repair loop nightmare?? everything was fine before I tried to install the new windows, now I have a completely non-functioning laptop??

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: I think windows 10 (and attempted Start menu) fix have killed my laptop - help

Lel, Windows 10 kind of killed my SP3 with the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. Now its stuck on an eternal boot loop. Back in the old W8.1 days, there were no such problems :(

bonskibon37

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: I think windows 10 (and attempted Start menu) fix have killed my laptop - help

Are you able to borrow a friends computer and download unto a usb stick though I'm not sure what you would need to download, but I'm sure someone here does. There has to be some files to help get back into your system... I'm sure you will get some good solutions... hang in there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism