MSN Weather app closes instantly

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
W10 pro, in place upgrade, the in built msn weather app just opens a white square and instantly closes displaying NO info in the short period it stays open, anyone else seen this, all other apps working correctly

i have un installed it with the commeand line, re installed via store, i have checked firewall and it is allowed through, the msn weather app tile displays correct info but if i click the tile or shortcut it appears and disappears ??

anyone ??

to add insult to injury i have just burned through 2 tech support jokers who were clueless ?? the first one read my issues and disconnected me, the second one was allowed remote access and the then disconnected me while running a sfc ?? i guess the script in front of them didnt cover actual issues, one thing is for certain i wont be allowing remote access again, and on the sfc note, it found 2 errors which it auto repaired but nothing to do with weather, one was speech in the store and the other i think said about ownership of a file somewhere, apart from that a clean bill of health

Ok so troubleshooting this my way it appears to be a Cortana issue somewhere, as mentioned the tile and shortcut display a white square briefly and then it closes with no info displayed BUT if i use Cortana, the top item is weather, click that to expand the area and there is a shortcut " see more in MSN weather " this opens the MSN weather app and it displays info which i have never seen before ... hazaaa you would think, no actually not really as the window closes again within seconds, but at least i briefly got to see info

so next was to trace the actual weather app ... not that easy to achieve but if you create a shortcut on the desktop of the app and go look at its properties you can find its full system file name, a cursory search on my machine found it or at least the folder that matched the shortcut file name and here lies a complete mystery, i would have expected to find the app or its components in a windows folder somewhere... no, not on my system ! somehow os app folders ( IT APPEARS ) have been created in a desktop folder simply named desktop\newfolder\removable disk\wpsystem\apps\windowsapps\microsoft.bingweather_3.1.4.438_arm_ wooooo hang on ... ARM !!! and there is where the issue lies, for whatever reason my system has created a W10 pro msn weather app shortcut pointing towards an ARM app meant for a phone and backed up from a phone ?? go figure, now all i have to do is figure out how to sort it out

removed and re-installed graphics driver ( nvidia ) no change
removed the Bing app package, re installed weather, no change
re- registered app packages from power shell, Windows 10 - Some metro apps not working. - Microsoft Community
No change

I gave up chasing issues around Pcs a long time ago... i remember why now, i now use my own app, turn head - look out window :grin:

Last edited:

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
issue resolved

It was a USB connected tablet stopping the weather app from opening, remove the tablet and the weather app works a treat

Naoj3873

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Mine does EXACTLY the same thing!

I can't use Cortana.. not supported by ASUS All-in-one computer. But your description is exact!

Sorry I don't have solution. Will be interested to follow this thread!::unhappysweat:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett