11-02-2016 02:08 AM
60 123
tools
    I wasn't using this feature, might have to reconsider..
    12-30-2015 03:32 PM
    I absolutely adore Virtual desktops.
    I run a Linux virtual box on full screen on one virtual desktops and other apps in their individual desktops.
    The quick switching animation between desktops and the keyboard shortcuts are so awesome.
    Trust me it feels amazing to be able to switch OS's at a snap once you get a hang of the Virtual desktops . I'm glad they have this here.
    01-10-2016 09:44 AM
    I never found a use for this feature dating back to Windows XP and PowerToys on a single monitor setup. To me working on a single monitor and switching between desktops seemed no different than just switching between applications on one desktop. I think it filled the void for many at a time when monitors were expensive but as monitor costs have dropped considerably I much prefer multiple monitors. I use 4 monitors on my SP3 which I find to be much better. I like that Microsoft is putting features into Windows 10, it's good to have options for those that can use them.
    01-10-2016 09:21 PM
    I don't use this feature at all...
    01-11-2016 02:21 AM
    I have some Chinese Software that I need to use about once, or twice a month, to program some in-field fixtures...and it will only co-operate if I use an older version of Windows (Vista, or XP), so when I need to do some changes I go to another VDT to execute the older version of Windows, and do my deal.
    01-14-2016 02:43 PM
    I use them for separating different things Desktop 1 is used for just general stuff like browsing, Netflix & YouTube. Desktop 2 is for Twitter & Facebook. Desktop 3 is for tinkering with Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition & Desktop 4 is for Work stuff like Outlook.

What would be nice would be to use a touchpad gesture when using a Laptop to switch between Desktops like how it works with Workspaces in Mac OS X.

Roland
    02-06-2016 03:25 PM
    Multiple apps on Multiple Virtual desktops for multiple reasons, some for photo editing, virtual machines,reading, browsing, social, movies, downloading ...etc, this feature was my favorite feature on linux thankfully its available on windows
    02-08-2016 08:45 AM
    I started using virtual desktops on OS X when they were introduced there. I have since moved back to Windows after buying a gaming PC and am glad they were put into Windows 10. Like others here, I use them to keep different tasks separated. I keep desktop 1 clean for file management and such, desktop 2 for web browsing and email, desktop 3 for iTunes and desktop 4 for finances in Quicken. It would be nice to be able to assign certain apps to certain desktops like Mission Control allows in OS X. Seems a little tedious to have to reopen each app in each desktop after a reboot.
    02-08-2016 04:23 PM
    I forgot about it, long time without using my lappy, on desk I can just spread things across monitors and even a tv
    02-08-2016 06:43 PM
    Testing stage, load balance, clustering, service response, etc. It's not solid but it good when you're offline and just have one machine.
    02-08-2016 07:18 PM
    I don't like it... I used the desktop cube on Linux and that worked really well, but for me virtual desktops only work if you can see them in "context" just like when screens are side by side - the cube did that beautifully but virtual desktops on windows 10 are too distinct to feel like anything other than different windows.
    02-16-2016 09:10 AM
    Virtual desktops are a fantastic way to stay organized. The benefits of desktop virtualization include:

1. Cost savings because resources can be shared and allocated on an as-needed basis.
    2. More efficient use of resources and energy.
    3. Improved data integrity because backup is centralized.
    4. Centralized administration.
    5. Fewer compatibility issues.
    03-14-2016 06:51 AM
    If you have a ton of applications and files open but you want to focus on a single thing without the hassle of shutting the rest of the apps and files down, use a virtual desktop.

To get myself focused on a single task on my normally overcrowded desktop, I just drag the relevant windows to a virtual desktop I leave the clutter behind without the hassle of closing and re-opening it all.

Regards,
    Joseph Paul
    Underworld_11 likes this.
    03-15-2016 04:28 PM
    So what you Suggest , Where can i get this services from, and does this give exact same admin privileges like my normal computer.

If you have a ton of applications and files open but you want to focus on a single thing without the hassle of shutting the rest of the apps and files down, use a virtual desktop.

To get myself focused on a single task on my normally overcrowded desktop, I just drag the relevant windows to a virtual desktop I leave the clutter behind without the hassle of closing and re-opening it all.

Regards,
    Joseph Paul
    03-18-2016 03:18 PM
    I have been using the VDI services from clouddesktoponline and Yes it gives you the exact same look, feel and functions like your normal computer if you want you can try out their 30 days Free Trial Offer but if you need to try out any app development software like me you might need to get a paid subscription for that you can contact their support team they have 24X7 Phone and chat support thats how i have got the services from them and i have been using it from quite some time and haven't got any issues.

Regards,
    Joseph Paul
    03-18-2016 03:32 PM
    it makes it easier to split my "worlds",
    u can see this site
    ???? ? ???? ??????? ????? ????????
    04-08-2016 09:40 AM
    I usually use 3i or 4 Virtual Desktop. The first is for anything that I usually do like games, web browsing and watching videos. Its basically what I usually use the most. My second VD is for work and study related things but since being a student and a developer at the same time can be really messy with so many things open on the taskbar and thats really annoying so sometime I open an extra VD to transfer related folders and apps there. The last one is just for two apps open at the same time ala split screen style, Groove Music and Mail.
    04-08-2016 10:54 AM
    Did you know that you can switch between virtual desktops by swiping right/left with four fingers???
    THIS IS AWESOME just like the gesture on the Mac! Before I was using the annoying shortcut windows key + arrows, but this gesture simplifies everything and now I'm using virtual desktops way more than before
    04-15-2016 10:30 PM
    If you need virtual desktops, the current implementation is better than nothing. I like the implementation in Linux (Gnome/KDE) better. I like having the ability to put a desktop switcher on the taskbar where I can set up, rename, switch to very easily. So add those 2 features:

1. Rename Desktop
    2. Ability to add a desktop switcher to taskbar

and I'd be happy.
    04-23-2016 11:55 PM
    I'm a student so I normally just have two desktops.

Desktop 1: School stuff

As of now I have Wunderlist, File Explorer, Memorize it!, and WhosDown (WhatsApp web wrapper) open.

Desktop 2: Other stuff.
    I just have Deezer and Twitter open right now.

Emails are opened only as they come.
    04-24-2016 12:42 AM
    If you need virtual desktops, the current implementation is better than nothing. I like the implementation in Linux (Gnome/KDE) better. I like having the ability to put a desktop switcher on the taskbar where I can set up, rename, switch to very easily. So add those 2 features:

1. Rename Desktop
    2. Ability to add a desktop switcher to taskbar

and I'd be happy.
    #2 is already implemented. Right-click on the Task bar and make sure "Show Task View button" is checked. A desktop switcher button should be added right next to the Cortana search box.
    04-24-2016 02:30 PM
    I honestly keep forgetting it is a feature although I'm glad it's there for those who use it. And thanks to the person who mentioned the Windows XP PowerToys. I honestly totally forgot those ever existed. Windows was a lot more interesting to use back then but obviously less polished than today.
    04-24-2016 04:00 PM
    #2 is already implemented. Right-click on the Task bar and make sure "Show Task View button" is checked. A desktop switcher button should be added right next to the Cortana search box.
    Yup, I'm aware of that and have it configured on my desktop. It's clunky IMO. I prefer something like in this screenshot.

png_centos-5.png

The switcher in the lower left is what I'm talking about (can be moved wherever you want it). It's not the perfect example as I have mine configured with names. For me, I like the Linux implementation better.
    04-26-2016 01:15 AM
    I use virtual desktops but am currently using Dexpot which lets me see a full-screen preview of my active desktops - I use my mouse middle button to bring up the preview. Feels more like what I was used to on Linux and OS/2. I like to have a web browser in one window and my email app in another and other apps in a third.

clipboard01.png
    ttsoldier likes this.
    06-01-2016 04:45 AM
    Back when I was doing a lot of programming, my four Linux (Mandrake) desktops had the titles Main, Internet, Messaging, and Office. Main held all of my programming stuff: code editors, calculator, compiler, and so on. Internet had the browser, mail client, ftp client, and so on. Messaging was on its own tab to minimise interruptions, and just had a couple of IM clients (this was before most of them handled multiple protocols). Office had OpenOffice writer, spreadsheets, and so on.

Nowadays my needs are much simpler, so I just have 3. The first is for photography (Lightroom, Photoshop, Photo 10, etc), the second for Internet (just browser and a Twitter client these days), and the third is for music (Studio One, Live, occasionally Reaper). When I want to use LibreOffice Writer, I use the first desktop as I won't be doing any photography.

And, apart from the fact that Alt-tab is a pain (literally, at my age) with more than about 5 open applications, virtual desktops contextualise what I'm doing. As has been mentioned elsewhere, each virtual window is a 'world', and I can keep my tasks separate in my head as well as on the screen.

My virtual desktops survive a reboot, and I can't understand why some people's don't. Maybe it's a setting I switched on when I first upgraded a year ago, I don't remember. I sometimes wish that my apps survived a reboot, or at least, run when I boot up, each on the 'correct' desktop. Just like they did in KDE.
    06-01-2016 09:51 AM
60 123