What are you using virtual desktops for?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I understand what a virtual desktop is but I cannot think of a reason I'd use one - what am I missing out on?

What ways are you using virtual desktops?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
For me, it makes it easier to split my "worlds", e.g. first desktop is for general web browsing; second desktop is for my online work; third desktop is for my dissertation; and fourth desktop is for my personal space. This way, I could easily take a break from "work" by simply switching desktops, or if I decide to read something heavy or edit some photos I've taken I simply move to desktop four.

Categorization and organization.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I use mine to separate areas: 1 has Wunderlist, OneNote, Skype, and Outlook for quick idea capture, task management, and communication; 2+ are dedicated work areas, like for research in browsers, graphics programs (need to be very particular on open windows and positions), etc..

Plus, the separation of concerns protects you from the unproductivity caused by staring at 7+ windows at a time.

anon(9424572)

May 20, 2015
Visit site
To me it sounded great to be able to has multiple desktops each with their own programs on the desktopbut imo that's not the case, it's just a way to have various programs or files open & you can already do that on one desktop. Unless I have a problem with my installation it's useless.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I think the virtual desktops won't be sth everyone will use or even love. Nonetheless those who do use it, love it :) It allows me to do schoolwork, work work, personal work and anything else separated :)

Yes it is possible to do all of this with just one desktop, but with that many programs running in just one desktop and cluttering my taskbar, I tend to get cranky and want to go through everything just so I can close them off -_- but that's just me

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using them at all, but that may just be because I have multiple monitors and generally have enough real-estate as it is.

I like the concept of separation that they provide, but I think there's too much work involved in setting them up as they are now. I'd probably use them regularly if they maintained their state after reboots. I'd love to keep a totally separate desktop for work/school, gaming and casual use. Different icons and taskbar shortcuts on each to help keep me focused. Maybe even different start tile setups?

Could be pretty cool.

One other use case I can think of, though I haven't gotten around to doing it yet - when working with multiple virtual machines it's easy for the workspace to get very crowded, even with multiple monitors. Might be good to throw the VMs in a separate desktop...

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I understand what a virtual desktop is but I cannot think of a reason I'd use one - what am I missing out on?

What ways are you using virtual desktops?
I'm in the same boat. Over the past week I've been thinking about how I could use virtual desktops, and what benefit it would provide for me. I cannot think of anything it would provide for me that I simply couldn't do with Alt+Tab between programs/screens. It isn't that hard to separate what I'm doing even if I'm working on multiple work tasks, or have a mix of work and play. IMO this feature is redundant and not useful *shrug*

marlman

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I love virtual desktops I normally have three going. My groove music app is always running on my main screen which is where I do my normal everyday computing.

On my second screen I have the news app and the money app I like to keep an eye on the markets.

Then on my third screen I have my Facebook and Twitter apps

If you go to settings then multi tasking and set virtual desktops to show widows open to all desktops you can easily move between then all by clicking on the icons in the taskbar. So it can all be done by using the mouse no having to press anything on the keyboard.

The three desktops are always there when I boot up so no need to add them when I boot up.

randcd

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I use mine to keep my tasks separate and also to keep environments separate. I develop applications that use databases across multiple instances, but those instances are replicated into a DEV, UAT, and PROD scheme. I have on desktop set that I dedicate to accessing the Production instances to fix production DB bugs and do data analysis on production data. My other desktops have their assigned task and they generally have a connection to the DEV/UAT instance. My only gripe with them so far is that I wish there was a middle ground on what is shown in the task bar. There are situations where I would like to share apps between desktops, but not all of them (Skype for Business, Outlook, Music, etc.). I would love to go to task view and see an option to show on all (or even selected) desktops as well as the option to move to desktop X. I would also like to name them, but that's not necessarily a need.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I have multi-monitors, and I have never found virtual desktop that useful... not even on laptops, but maybe it's because I got used to the way Windows works, so I like having everything at my sight.
But since on this desktop I have monitors, there is no reason to use virtual desktop because it wouldn't make sense. maybe on a small tablet I would use virtual desktops, but I really don't see much gain of it when I can minimize and maximize windows easy and fast.
Maybe I should make a challenge and force myself to use virtual desktops, but I haven't tried it, maybe I would get used to them. but I don't even use Alt-tab much, sometimes I use win+tab but not really often either, but more than alt-tab since it's easier to see and select windows.

Chris Clayton1

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
"The three desktops are always there when I boot up so no need to add them when I boot up."

How do you achieve that? My desktops are there when I re-start from Sleep mode which is useful, but not if I have closed down / re-booted --- which would be even more useful.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What I have on mine at the moment:

Desktop 1: Photoshop, LR5
Desktop 2: All files and folders dedicated to the above
Desktop 3: Edge windows
Desktop 4: Groove Music
Desktop 5: Task Manager, Steam and Skype

I use virtual desktops for writing, editing photos and graphical design as well. For example, it's a lot easier to flick between workspaces with Word & Edge than to have both on the same screen split, reducing space for each.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb