W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The thing I seem to remember is that microsoft never declared any dates for releasing updates like the cyan or denim update. I doubt they ever wrote that, for instance, Tanzanian lumia 920 users will receive the cyan update on 24th July 2014. Or Indian lumia 520 users will receive denim update on 25th Nov 2014. Or Polish lumia 1020 users will receive the denim update on 20th Dec 2014

They always wrote that "the name" update will start rolling out in the next few months to select regions around the world. This will be a steady rollout expected to start in quarter 1. Never mind that the actual number of devices that receive that update in quarter 1 represents 5% of the global windows phone users.

This is my prediction:

Windows 10 mobile will start rolling out from late February to the first wave of devices for less than a dozen countries which would most likely be US, Finland, China, UK, Germany, Spain, France, India, Thailand, Australia, Italy and Philippines.

From May to September, Majority of worldwide users will receive the new OS for most of the first wave devices. This includes most of Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. Stubborn US carriers might also be releasing at this time

From August to December 2016, a new wave of devices will start receiving the W10M update such as the 20 series like 1020 and 520. Again this will be for a few countries at first followed by the majority of the world months later, going on until early 2017

If by March 2017 your device hasn't officially received the update, then know that either Microsoft or the local cellular company have forgotten that you own a windows phone and by that time there's no chance of getting the update officially.

Am I being pessimistic? Not really, just basing on past experience. 14 months down the line and there are countries and devices that still haven't received the denim update. So I can expect the same to happen again with W10M

And if you don't have the denim update for your phone, then tough luck as there won't be any W10M for you officially

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The thing I seem to remember is that microsoft never declared any dates for releasing updates like the cyan or denim update.

Yup. That's pretty much it, and the same will be true of this roll out.

This thread is a pretty nice demonstration of mob mentality, where everyone feeds of each other's rage, but where the outrage itself is based on twenty pages of worthless content and fact free filler material.

Last edited:

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
A little off topic question:
When an app is released for W10, does it mean it will work in W10M OR the developer has to release a separate version ?
So long as it's a Universal App then technically it could or should work on W10M, but there may be limits in the design that restrict it's use on mobile so they might choose to hold it from the mobile store.

Or more likely most apps will be the other way round, written for W10M and might get pushed into the store for W10 desktop. The desktop store seriously needs some decent apps and Universal Apps could help there. Most users ignore the store on desktop though, but apps are useful for tablet use, and a lot of mobile apps would be ideal for tablet.

Out of interest, Garmin have recently released their Garmin Connect app as a Universal App which finally brings it to Windows but also while it's aimed primarily at mobile, it means it's also available for desktop, which makes it useful especially on a tablet (e.g. for syncing a Garmin tracking device via Bluetooth).

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Yup. That's pretty much it, and the same will be true of this roll out.

This thread is a pretty nice demonstration of mob mentality, where everyone feeds of each other's rage, but where the outrage itself is based on twenty pages of worthless content and fact free filler material.

"Mob mentality"?
A dead WP8.1, no apps, no development and a W10M that still is not fit for use at the same time that MS pump out a tremendous amount of apps for iOS/Android?

Is it really “mob mentality” to voice concern about the situation and that people openly state that they feel betrayer/lied to?

khail08

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
New to the forum but I have been lurking for quite some time because of the Windows 10 Mobile update (BTW I have a Lumia 1520). Today I was not able to wait anymore so I enrolled in the Windows Insider - Fast Ring. And you know what, the answer is immediately apparent: the OS is not yet ready.

I love the new Windows OS on my 1520: it looks great and there are tonnes of improvement over the 8.1. (I am currently running 10586.63). BUT... I feel there are so many small stuff that needs to be worked/ironed out like: Edge is great, it is really fast but so many times it-does-not-work-well. Another: I have two "Lumia Help+Tips" App (???) which obviously one does not work at all. I do not have icons for Groove Music, News, Weather, etc in the "All apps" menu. I haven't checked all of the stuff but you get that first impression that the OS not there yet.

If you cannot wait for the release, join the Windows Insider and see for yourself. It is getting there but it is not there yet. But yeah, Microsoft is foolish for announcing the Windows 10 release prematurely (Dec. 2015). Now they are upsetting many fans including myself although now I get it: I don't think Windows 10 is ready just yet.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Was so embarrassing that my friends in office were talking about their android manufacturers preparing for marshmallow update this and next month and when they were talking about various application updates. Seems like I was just left in the middle of the ocean , life of pi :(

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
"Mob mentality"?
A dead WP8.1, no apps, no development and a W10M that still is not fit for use at the same time that MS pump out a tremendous amount of apps for iOS/Android?

Is it really “mob mentality” to voice concern about the situation and that people openly state that they feel betrayer/lied to?

This thread is not about the state of WP8.1. It's not about the app situation, nor is it about MS' policies as they relate to iOS and Android. It is not about any of the things you mentioned.

This thread is specifically about W10M release dates. On that issue specifically, we have almost no information at all. The "most reliable" information we have stems from an anonymous source from within MS who talked to Mary Joe Foley. That's it! There is absolutely no information out there that comes directly from MS, and certainly nothing official, yet many people here imagine the "early 2016" quote is directly attributable to MS. Not true. We have nothing.

What we have instead, are a number of people willing to provide extremely unreliable information or flat out invent it themselves. Then we have even more people who are happy to get into geek-rage mode when MS doesn't deliver by those invented dates. Yes, raging on the internet is fun, but this thread is a somewhat pathetic example of that.

It's certainly a good example of mob mentality. This thread would be quite different if more people validated the information they choose to believe, rather than just followed the heard.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
"Mob mentality"?

Is it really ?mob mentality? to voice concern about the situation and that people openly state that they feel betrayer/lied to?

Hahahaha! I couldn't help laugh at this pathetic situation wp users are in whether they realise, accept or not :D .

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
As aggravating as it is waiting for Microsoft to finish the final release of Windows 10 mobile, it would be a huge mistake for them to rush it out too soon, as they have notoriously done many times in the past. They need to get this as right as they can. If that means delays, then it is in the best interests and of Microsoft and most of their customers to wait and also to make us wait.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Read again. Vodafone might have devices with the release candidate installed, but they don't have the means to distribute it. Every carrier in the world must wait for MS (to provide the update for testing, or flick the switch for distribution), and MS must wait for many carriers (to sign off on the tested update).
And again, yes, NO carrier in Ireland "has it" yet, just like no other carrier in the world "has it" (for distribution), although many will "have it" on a small number of devices (for testing).

Your argument is seriously flawed!! When I was on Vodafone and my mum on O2 and we both had the L520 I got windows 8.1 first months before she did. Ya Microsoft gave the go ahead but its up to the carriers to push it!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Your argument is seriously flawed!! When I was on Vodafone and my mum on O2 and we both had the L520 I got windows 8.1 first months before she did. Ya Microsoft gave the go ahead but its up to the carriers to push it!

The last sentence is simply wrong, and nothing of what comes before it contradicts anything I've said. I've already explained how that works (how it happens that you and your mom might not get updates at the same time, despite MS being responsible for the technicalities of all phone updates), but you're still misunderstanding something. I just can't tell what.

Anyway, I used to work in the telecom industry. I'm not really putting forth an argument. I'm telling you how it actually works. Not understanding it doesn't automatically make it wrong.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The last sentence is simply wrong, and nothing of what comes before it contradicts anything I've said. I've already explained how that works (how it happens that you and your mom might not get updates at the same time, despite MS being responsible for the technicalities of all phone updates), but you're still misunderstanding something. I just can't tell what.

Anyway, I used to work in the telecom industry. I'm not really putting forth an argument. I'm telling you how it actually works.

c5be2bc5cf5021010cc6bbe235447eef.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs