W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Only better if you like lags, crashes, and being left behind when new versions of Android are released. I'll wait a few weeks to get a superior operating system in Windows 10 Mobile.

Its not the case with android now.

Honor mobiles are getting mashmallow rolled out by April

Moto G even the first generation is getting mashmallow update and other generations have already started or preparing to get this or next month

One plus mobiles are getting update once on couple of weeks and are actually having much better roms

Lags and crashes are old androids . I agree they were lagdroids but not now

Currently even though u wont have update, in android, you still have the access to latest apps wih respect to design and functionality unlike WP where you are either left with dead 8.1 and obselete apps and 10 isn't fit to be used.

Go for android, its a different world out there, with much better MS products and even wp central app, whether u own the latest version or not.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Well if you use an unlocked phone or that Android and non-mainstream brands get left behind often for updates. Now contract phones a a little different.

EDIT: It lists windows 10 mobile requiring tpm module hardware or firmware... Is this changing things???

Last edited:

owensdj

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
emjey there is also the ability with Windows 10 Mobile to run the same Universal App Platform software on both your desktop and mobile devices. That's something you'll never get with Android or iOS.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
emjey there is also the ability with Windows 10 Mobile to run the same Universal App Platform software on both your desktop and mobile devices. That's something you'll never get with Android or iOS.

Dude! I love windows, and I still argue about this platform when I interact with android users. I m just frustrated on how pathetic situation MS has actually left us.

Considering universal apps, we still have a long way to go like how we are In terms to cortana. Its not always like the picture MS gives you

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
To get around carrier-related delays (and we all know that even if Microsoft pulled the trigger today, the carriers will diddle dork around doing "compatibility testing" for the next 12 months, hoping their WP customers will give up and switch to iDroid), Microsoft should release a "Windows updater" app. The app would be similar to Windows Insider, with only a single release ring option to trigger updating to the Denim firmware if needed, followed by updating to whatever the current release build is. (IMHO, that should be .63 right now)

If upgrading from WP8.x, W10M first-time setup should strongly encourage not reloading the WP8.x-created backup. People will complain, but realistically, that will be a one-time issue over having to manually reinstall and do whatever setup the handful of apps the user wants vs. a long, drawn-out complaint-fest over issues that wouldn't exist had the WP8.x backup not been loaded.

If the app is run on W10M, the app should remove the user from the Windows Insider program and proceed as above.

khaled22

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft now plans to start rolling out Windows 10 Mobile in February

Microsoft has internally delayed its planned rollout of Windows 10 Mobile to current Windows Phone 8 handsets for another month, VentureBeat has learned — after shooting for a January release. News of the rescheduling was shared by email with the company’s partners. Also delayed is the second scheduled monthly service update for Lumia 950 and 950 XL devices, following a successful December deployment.

According to the email, which uses a lot of buzzy language to convey the message “not ready yet,” both the service update and legacy handset upgrade will now occur in early to mid February. Microsoft will not be rushed; the situation currently appears to be quite fluid, and this software is only going to hit devices when it’s deemed fully ready.

The one positive aspect of this development, which follows a previous missed upgrade rollout target of December, is that current Lumia owners will receive the very latest build of Windows 10 Mobile out of the gate — complete with the February service update being simultaneously pushed to the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL.

This has not been an easy period for Windows fans, with Lumia owners anxiously awaiting an upgrade that could have realistically not come until March, and new Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book owners experiencing their own frustration with issues that Microsoft has not yet publicly addressed.

Source

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is how it works for Android. This is a necessity in the Android space, because OEMs typically build their own unique version of Android for each of their devices. That's not true of WP/WM, where OEM's just get the immutable binaries, add some configuration files and throw in the firmware. This difference is what allows MS to push updates directly themselves. There was a time when MS allowed OEMs to push updates themselves, but as AFAIK that is over. At the latest with W10M MS will be pushing all updates for all OEMs directly.

Yes, I am aware of that. However, that only affects the OS. Aren't firmware updates for WP/W10M still pushed out by the OEM? Or does Microsoft also push out firmware on the OEM's behalf? (obviously this doesn't matter for Lumia's as it's the same company).

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Since Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer left Microsoft, the company is not good anymore. Microsoft is not the same like it used to be. I understand why most of the people switch to Apple. MS is going a slow death, because the incapable people. MS is running now by a bunch of amateurs.

The components and manufacturing cost of a 16GB iPhone 6 cost Apple $200.
The device is selling for $649... in the U.S.
That gives the device a profit margin of about 69%
The $349 Apple Watch costs just $84 to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
MS now too much busy for update of play store app.makes our update delayed.
Any buddy know live lock screen beta ,when it get updated last time😠

Microsoft today updated their Arrow Launcher to v1.1.1 in Play Store. With this update, Arrow Launcher team has squashed 80% of the user-reported bugs and improved overall performance by 40%. It also now supports double tap screen to lock if your device supports it.

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Fed up of waiting I just opted for Insider preview and the install of W10M is about to get completed. Guys would recommend people here to opt for it as well.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am aware of that. However, that only affects the OS. Aren't firmware updates for WP/W10M still pushed out by the OEM? Or does Microsoft also push out firmware on the OEM's behalf? (obviously this doesn't matter for Lumia's as it's the same company).

You're right about both. There has, at least so far, not been just one approach to this. OEMs could use tools provided by MS to distribute updates themselves, or OEMs could hand their firmware update over to MS who would distribute it on their behalf. Often times, firmware was engineered to work with a specific version of the OS, in which case both would be bundled together in a single update package (typically distributed by MS).

That all updates are distributed by MS has been the traditional approach, and based on the recent tweet by Daniel Rubino, that will become the only approach going forward.

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I did it last month, it was too buggy. Calendar was showing wrong notifications

Well I have just finished setting up the insider preview W10M and my first impressions are really good. I agree it is buggy, UI too has gone for a toss, emailers aren't properly displayed in Outlook. After installing the preview I can understand why Microsoft is taking time to release W10 mobile to masses.

But If they fix all these bugs and improve features I believe this is probably the best OS ever released for mobile. It literally is way better and interesting than Android and iOS combined. Its a shame that apps are the only reason why Windows phone are not doing well. Now looking forward to the final build and some cool new official apps.

nsnhd

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Someones say that when W10M is released, it is optimized for each Lumia models and that is the difference from inside built. Is that true for all OS in general and W10M in particular ?

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Someones say that when W10M is released, it is optimized for each Lumia models and that is the difference from inside built. Is that true for all OS in general and W10M in particular ?

That could be true, but Microsoft could do it like so:
#ifdef DEVICE_L635
OptimizeL635();
#endif
#ifdef DEVICE_L950
OptimizeL950();
#endif

In this sense, there's only one codebase overall. The firmware is specific, but the OS could do generalization.

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I have just finished setting up the insider preview W10M and my first impressions are really good. I agree it is buggy, UI too has gone for a toss, emailers aren't properly displayed in Outlook. After installing the preview I can understand why Microsoft is taking time to release W10 mobile to masses.

But If they fix all these bugs and improve features I believe this is probably the best OS ever released for mobile. It literally is way better and interesting than Android and iOS combined. Its a shame that apps are the only reason why Windows phone are not doing well. Now looking forward to the final build and some cool new official apps.
loved the ui but i can't work with a buggy calendar. Phone used to crash randomly for no reason. Lock screen had a noticeable lag. Did a hard reset too but no luck. Wp8.1 in comparison never crashed once after i took it out of the box.
Ms is not dedicating enough resources to w10m, that's why it's getting delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077