W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
One of the guys at the store said that you'll have to hard reset for official for it to work well...

Yes. That's not acceptable. Further after hard reset it is further advised to proceed without data restore. I mean why would a normal consumer go through these.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
One of the guys at the store said that you'll have to hard reset for official for it to work well...

No no need of that...according to nokiapoweruser they have never reset any insider build soft or hard even the old devices like 525 & 640

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes. That's not acceptable. Further after hard reset it is further advised to proceed without data restore. I mean why would a normal consumer go through these.

That's what I told him! He told be it'll be "pretty crappy if you don't reset".

I have a 640 as well

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That's what I told him! He told be it'll be "pretty crappy if you don't reset".

I have a 640 as well

He probably meant that it will run much nicer if there is a clean install. I can already see some damage on my 930 after so many many builds installed one after another, taking up 7gb of storage already. Not to mention what it does with registries... This is why i'm only waiting for official release, grab it, hard reset, and the phone will still be very much capable for the next 2 years or so :)

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
He probably meant that it will run much nicer if there is a clean install. I can already see some damage on my 930 after so many many builds installed one after another, taking up 7gb of storage already. Not to mention what it does with registries... This is why i'm only waiting for official release, grab it, hard reset, and the phone will still be very much capable for the next 2 years or so :)

Well no. It has to run a lot nicer. Doesn't mean I ll lose my data to make it run lot nicer ? I mean there is an option yeah. Fine your 15k INR worth phone with data that should nt be recovered will run a lot nicer when u reset it. Great! What a way. Ms made official upgrade process as terrible as well beta testing? No way this mistake would be done by a company like MS.

Jure Jovic

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
In my country , Croatia, T-mobile confirmed to its users that tomorrow windows 10 mobile for older devices will be released.
nokiamob.me/2016/03/16/glasina-t-mobile-sutra-pusta-windows-10-mobile-za-starije-lumia-uredaje/
It is in croatian language so many will not understand but basically tmobile chat agents confirmed to multiple users that win 10 mobile for devices written in article will be released. It is said that it will not come over OTA, but it is needed to upgrade over upgrade advisor, (manually

Jure Jovic

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
T-mobile in Croatia confirmed to its users that tomorrow it will start releasing upgrade for 8.1 devices to windows 10 mobile. It was confirmed by many users in chat with t-mobile agents. I am new member so i can not post links, so i will add link without world wide web so it needs to be added in the begining of the link
nokiamob.me/2016/03/16/glasina-t-mobile-sutra-pusta-windows-10-mobile-za-starije-lumia-uredaje/

It is in croation but it basiclly says that tomorrow win 10 mobile will began (not OTA, but over upgrade advisor) for
-- Lumia 435 SS/DS
? Lumia 535 SS/DS
? Lumia 635 1GB SS
? Lumia 640 SS
? Lumia 640XL SS
? Lumia 735 SS
? Lumia 830 SS
? Lumia 930 SS
? Lumia 1520 SS

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
T-mobile in Croatia confirmed to its users that tomorrow it will start releasing upgrade for 8.1 devices to windows 10 mobile. It was confirmed by many users in chat with t-mobile agents. I am new member so i can not post links, so i will add link without world wide web so it needs to be added in the begining of the link

It is in croation but it basiclly says that tomorrow win 10 mobile will began (not OTA, but over upgrade advisor) for
-- Lumia 435 SS/DS
– Lumia 535 SS/DS
– Lumia 635 1GB SS
– Lumia 640 SS
– Lumia 640XL SS
– Lumia 735 SS
– Lumia 830 SS
– Lumia 930 SS
– Lumia 1520 SS

tommotrow aint far away to confirm this "rumor".

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's been similar stories where intended milestone dates have been published without official go-ahead from Microsoft. I think that people are in a state of "Believe it when you see it".

Regardless, anyone who really wants Windows 10 Mobile can have it whenever they want to via the Insider program - whatever build the public roll-out will use won't magically fix all the bugs that everyone is reporting. It'll be in the same state as Windows 10 Desktop in needing regular updates and improvements.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Not a rumor, people got this info through official chat with help desk with T-mobile agents. There is many screenshots in comments in link,

msft stated they would first release a firmware update for select windows 8.1 devices. so how come a carrier could release the windows 10 upgrade. >< doesn't makes sense to me. and of course there hasn't been any comment from Microsoft on this too. vodafone Italy too claimed it but whoosh their time line is way over now. so lets just wait n watch because this is just something regular we are used to get over here. lol

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
It?s happening. Microsoft is finally releasing Windows 10 Mobile?tomorrow. The release date was confirmed in a recent report, and today VentureBeat confirmed that Microsoft will announce the operating system?s same-day availability on March 17.

It is worth noting that T-Mobile Croatia already confirmed that the OS will start rolling out tomorrow to the following devices: Lumia 435 SS/DS, Lumia 535 SS/DS ,Lumia 635 1GB SS ,Lumia 640 SS, Lumia 640XL SS, Lumia 735 SS, Lumia 830 SS, Lumia 930 SS, and the Lumia 1520 SS.

Of course, the operating system?s availability for your Windows Phone depending on the region and carrier, so you might need to wait a bit longer to get the OS. Nonetheless, it is nice to see Microsoft finally pushing the OS to its customers.

april1dorlarpor

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I had a chat with Tecno Mobile on Faceboook yesterday if they have plans for Windows phone,the reply was "based on my suggestion,they will give us a surprise that would blow our minds away soon. For now they only have android devices and 1 windows 8.1 upgradeable to windows 10 tablet,all are great.
NB : Tecno dominates phone market in Africa with over 50% market share check them out tecno-mobile.com

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
msft stated they would first release a firmware update for select windows 8.1 devices. so how come a carrier could release the windows 10 upgrade. >< doesn't makes sense to me. and of course there hasn't been any comment from Microsoft on this too. vodafone Italy too claimed it but whoosh their time line is way over now. so lets just wait n watch because this is just something regular we are used to get over here. lol

It's my understanding that 8.1 devices will be updated initially by the carrier as far as firmware and OS go, and then once devices are on Windows 10 mobile Microsoft will take over.

Firmware needs to be tested by the carrier to make sure there are no issues as far as connectivity goes with the network.

john24ssj

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm really sceptical until Microsoft themselves confirm this. We have been in this position way too many times before and it didn't work out too well.

GeorgeX

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The "Manufacturer Name" was there before, and had the contents of the Manufacturer Name value you can find on Settings -> Extras & Info on your device. Mine has RM-846_eu_euro2_357, and it's this value you use to find which exactly is your device (and latest firmware + os version) on Microsoft's site.

So now this column is empty, and firmware versions are missing on half of the devices in the list (I check on Europe->Germany for my device).

Missing info is back again. No changes, at least on the country I was checking. No phone has OS version set to 10. Yet.

Referring to this page https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%2F%3Fcountry%3DDE%252CGermany&token=g46dmuH9

Last edited:

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Crickey, talk about going round in circles! If you think the 'vague' W10m, is fogging people's ideas / judgement / worry etc...try putting up with Android, especially OEM versions. Your device has only got to be a year old and the chances of getting updates, from OEM's who have nice shiny new devices to sell, is fairly remote, or sometimes taking months to appear.

We are in a good position with MS, as they are 'officially' updating a very large quota of devices, which in android, would would be down to the OEM's to decide who is worthy, unless of course, you go custom.

Most of the devices will run it. As mentioned, if not officially, then a preview. There have also been threads confusing the issue of RAM and storage. You will need more than 4gb, as it looks like W10M will be a large OS, and reliability etc will be affected. You don't really want to use an OS on an SD card due to speed restrictions, and the fact that SD cards can only be written / read, a finite amount of times.

October / November is looking likely for release. I say that because the TP is still some way off finished yet. It runs on my boys 435 with just minor lag issues. haven't tried it on my 640xl yet

While you may be right about update since your talking keeping in mind how Android was during gingerbread and honeycomb versions.

Alright considering what you say is true, still with no update too, I would have my apps running up to date with all the functionalities and design. I would not be suffering with lack of functionality and design with respect to WP in both apps and OS. Right now what update you get, you think you immediately can get IMO, OWA or a basic navigation functionality? I have to hugely depend on PURCHASING third party apps even to access the basic functions of smart phone

I had my dad using moto G first version, and it's been two years. Now though it qualities Android M update, applying your thought of not getting N, my dad still has access to the apps with all the latest features and it wouldn't matter much.

Whereas in WP 8.1 is dead with no updates, app ecosystem is pathetic and 10 is not gonna bring you the Android app ecosystem overnight. While you may be a WP fan who would like to wait for years and years and see the progress. It definitely doesn't apply to a normal consumer like me. And
The reason WP may be in a good position is, it has small user base and a terribly small amount of types of phones unlike Google that has infinite gigantic types of OEMs and phones running Android. But they continue to update their Nexus running whatever version just like lumia but ON TIME. Right now, they have improved enough that the manufacturers too are encouraging updates to large number of devices.

PS: Yes, I like WP too, but not at the cost of defending it always

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa