Laptop without panel + W10 -> no display

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
OK, this might be a tricky one.

I have laptop (HP with A4 apu) without display panel (it was broken and now removed) with Windows 8. When attached to TV or monitor using HDMI or DVI adapter it worked well. Update to W8.1 was also succesfull. External display was set in W8 as primary and only display. There is no way to see what would happen in bios/uefi so I couldn't check if there was a setting to use external display as default. Laptop doesn't have VGA or DP out. Display driver was good enough for W8.1, updated in June or July.

W10 upgrade somehow "lost" external display. I would assume that the upgrade went fully to the end (pressing enter every now and then should have proceeded through default settings etc). The laptop is set for auto login and at least on another PC it was in use after upgrade. I would have thought that W10 would recognize external display on HDMI and without questions cloned current display to it and let me set the rest. But no. No signal on external.

So far I have tried Win-P with one or more arrow keys down + enter, displayswitch.exe /external and keyboard hotkey for display (fn+f4, maybe). Also lots of restarts and plugging HDMI out and back.

Is there any way to force W10 to output display on external monitor using command line or known sequence of arrow keys and enter (blind, that is)? Alternatively is there a way to revert back to W8.1 via command line (again blind) ? We have 5 PCs (+work laptop) running W10 with this poor laptop being only failed upgrade.
Unfortunately the laptop is at another location so I cannot test suggestions right now. Hopefully I will get back to it before 30 days grace period goes off in case of downgrade...

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Of course the obvious solution is to get new LCD panel from ebay. A bit costly, but the end result shall still be 1/3 of original (2014) laptop price. Internal display works without AC power unlike external monitor making laptop more versatile and - well - portable ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99