Why is there no sound output after upgrading to Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

why is there no sound output after upgrading to windows 10?

there is no sound output in my sony vaio laptop after upgrading to windows 10.

michael nabil

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: why is there no sound output after upgrading to windows 10?

Go to device manager, uninstall the sound driver, reboot.
Don't check the uninstall driver software box when uninstalling driver.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You could try any of the following to see if your PC needs to install new driver versions:
1. Through device manager, expand the sound, video and game controllers category, then right click on your specific audio service (in my case it's realtek)... then click on "update driver software..."
2. Launch windows update and let it automatically check for updates. Not all drivers can be detected using this method, though, but certainly all the essential drivers to make your PC work (screen, keyboard, USB, etc.) will automatically be downloaded through this method.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You could try any of the following to see if your PC needs to install new driver versions:
1. Through device manager, expand the sound, video and game controllers category, then right click on your specific audio service (in my case it's realtek)... then click on "update driver software..."
2. Launch windows update and let it automatically check for updates. Not all drivers can be detected using this method, though, but certainly all the essential drivers to make your PC work (screen, keyboard, USB, etc.) will automatically be downloaded through this method.

It's good of you to make those suggestions, but they are generic and I'm sure the OP will have tried them. My Vaio Duo 13 also has no sound since upgrading to W10, and no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers using Windows Update or downloading directly from Realtek, enabling/disabling the device, or anything else works for me.

To be fair, Sony specifically warns against upgrading the Vaio to W10 until they've sorted out the drivers.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It's good of you to make those suggestions, but they are generic and I'm sure the OP will have tried them. My Vaio Duo 13 also has no sound since upgrading to W10, and no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers using Windows Update or downloading directly from Realtek, enabling/disabling the device, or anything else works for me.

To be fair, Sony specifically warns against upgrading the Vaio to W10 until they've sorted out the drivers.

Well, we never really know whether the answer we'll be giving would be of help or not. I've encountered users who asked questions like "Why can't I hear anything from my phone?" then it turns out that the phone was in silent mode, "Why aren't any webpages loading?" when the phone/PC isn't even connected to the internet and "Why isn't my phone turning on?" when all it needed was a little help from the phone charger. It's better to have shared a known answer than to have not shared at all. :smile:

How about the two responses before me?

By the way, thanks for reminding me of the warning Sony issued for Vaio users - this is most probably draws the scenario most accurately.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
First, make sure your default audio output is set to your speakers. Mine was defaulted to a BT speaker or something. I just changed the default to my computer speakers.

anon(9424572)

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: why is there no sound output after upgrading to windows 10?

Have you tried
Right click on volume>choose playback devices>choose speakers>click properties>Enhancements>add a tick to the disable enhancements box.
Enhancements is the 3rd tab along for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro