The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-30-2015 02:52 AM
93 1234
tools
    Well, to be honest, in Europe Win10 is getting to be a big disaster. In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc. It's even worse than Win8. Many people I know are instantly switching back to Win7 reverting the Win10 license. MS messed it up big this time... The future of Windows is very uncertain in Europe because trust to MS has really took a hit. Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
    Hard times for MS are incoming, that's for sure.
    And due to this, in Germany Windows 10 Mobile will fail hard. Many are predicting this already.

It is simply sad to see that MS seems to continue making mistakes after another...
    Again just misinformed and uneducated idiots spreading fud, People in Germany should be more worried about other things bein a problem their privacy.
    08-25-2015 07:56 PM
    Windows 10 the most hated? I'd say that honor still belongs to Vista.

If people are honestly this concerned about their privacy they should probably stop using any smartphone... or dumbphone for that matter. Use only cash, drive cars with no GPS, and probably wrap everything else up in aluminum foil. Windows 10 (and 8) seem no more privacy intruding than say... android, iOS, or your local POS in a store.

As for Russia banning usage of Windows 10... Guess that's all the reason they need to stick to XP?
    Bronislav Klofac likes this.
    08-26-2015 01:22 AM
    In France, there have been a few articles about Privacy, but big tech sites explained why it was BS. Some ******* extreme-right political figure called Marine Le Pen sent a letter to the government asking them to ban Windows 10, because she had read the win10 insider EULA. That made a few waves, but less than 5% of France support her, the rest beleive the instant contrary of what she says. Anyway, all the big, mainstream, non-tech newspapers that everybody reads (Le Monde, Le Nouvel Obs, Le Figaro) have had articles like "Pourquoi Windows 10 est une tape charnire pour Microsoft" ("Why Windows 10 is a major step for Microsoft"). Generally neutral, without doing positive or negative advertising for msft. Everybody I know will upgrade. So here, I'd say over 95% of users will upgrade.
    08-26-2015 02:46 AM
    In France, there have been a few articles about Privacy, but big tech sites explained why it was BS. Some ******* extreme-right political figure called Marine Le Pen sent a letter to the government asking them to ban Windows 10, because she had read the win10 insider EULA. That made a few waves, but less than 5% of France support her, the rest beleive the instant contrary of what she says. Anyway, all the big, mainstream, non-tech newspapers that everybody reads (Le Monde, Le Nouvel Obs, Le Figaro) have had articles like "Pourquoi Windows 10 est une tape charnire pour Microsoft" ("Why Windows 10 is a major step for Microsoft"). Generally neutral, without doing positive or negative advertising for msft. Everybody I know will upgrade. So here, I'd say over 95% of users will upgrade.
    Wait if you said she read the Windows 10 insider EULA, then she is a complete retard seriously
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-26-2015 03:09 AM
    Personally I haven't seen this negativity towards windows 10, but I have seen people thinking that they will hold off upgrading because they have a year to do that.

I think its more likely to be a slow news day...
    That's why we say that the real number will be known by the end of the 1st Year
    08-26-2015 04:50 AM
    Wait if you said she read the Windows 10 insider EULA, then she is a complete retard seriously
    Well, many of the "Windows 10 invades your privacy!" clickbait articles were quoting the insider EULA, so she probably did too. She's definintely dumb enough.
    08-26-2015 06:47 AM
    Have to admit in some places I have just got used to going around in a circular route until I find the thing I am looking for, I love the overall design of the new app but consistency is a bit off at times.

But as far as the title of the thread goes, absolutely not, it's the best with the freshest ideas I have seen for a long time.
    08-26-2015 06:55 AM
    Well, to be honest, in Europe Win10 is getting to be a big disaster. In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc. It's even worse than Win8. Many people I know are instantly switching back to Win7 reverting the Win10 license. MS messed it up big this time... The future of Windows is very uncertain in Europe because trust to MS has really took a hit. Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
    And due to this, in Germany Windows 10 Mobile will fail hard. Many are predicting this already.

It is simply sad to see that MS seems to continue making mistakes after another...
    Well all of this is just out of ignorance, which sadly the media and uninformed people just echo and repeat. Your post is too part of this spreading of misinformation.

In fact, II've read news about many countries and organizations switching to 10 right away.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    08-26-2015 07:17 AM
    Also, the privacy concerns are of no concern when MS is doing nothing they and other OS's haven't done before. .
    I'm not sure Google's products should participate in setting the standard for what is or is not tolerable in terms of privacy protections. That would commit us all to a race to the bottom, where any privacy protections at all represent a rare exception rather then the norm (we're pretty close to that already).

Corporations and government agencies also have very different standards from the average consumer. Android, or any other smartphone OS for that matter, simply doesn't play a vital/central role in corporate or government IT infrastructures. Windows does. I think it's fair that these OSes are judged by different standards.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-26-2015 07:24 AM
    and that's just derstandard....
    As I suspected, those articles don't even attempt to explain what is actually going on. That's similar to some of the reports I've read in French, German or Swiss newspapers. It's understandable that non-technical publications omit practically all details (most of the consumer oriented tech press does too). Unfortunately, they screw up by omitting everything a reader would require to make up their own mind, yet insist the reader should be very very worried, when there isn't much reason to be. This is just the typical sensationalizing we should expect from most media. :-/

That is in stark contrast to the often far more professional sources they site, like this one:

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can?t stop talking to Microsoft | Ars Technica UK

Reading that article, which does include technical information, it's difficult to feel W10 is violating your privacy in any major way. When compared to what one particular internet browser tracks during your surfing sessions, mentioning these "violations" seems almost comical. There are some valid concerns, but they aren't so much about privacy violations as they are about W10 failing to prohibit all data exchanges it (presumably) could/should when related features are deactivated.

It remains to be seen, but I won't be surprised if most of the exchanges mentioned are eventually suppressed. W10 can't remove all such exchanges however. For example, Windows requires that apps exchange their version numbers with the store to determine if they must be updated. Complaining about these types of exchanges, which is the only thing left to really fake outrage over, seems ridiculous to me.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-26-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    neo158 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-26-2015 07:34 AM
    I was reading through the comment section of this article. Everyone seems to bash Windows 10.
    Windows 10 market share growth slows to just ten per cent ? The Register Forums
    Theregister is well know to hate everything Microsoft. Nothing from that website is representative.
    08-26-2015 07:35 AM
    I'm not sure Google's products should participate in setting the standard for what is or is not tolerable in terms of privacy protections. That would commit us all to a race to the bottom, where any privacy protections at all represent a rare exception rather then the norm (we're pretty close to that already).
    That's a very good point. Google is pretty terrible.
    a5cent and krishna T like this.
    08-26-2015 07:44 AM
    i feel this thread deserves a windows me mention.
    lol!
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-26-2015 10:19 AM
    All I can say is I like the look, but don't like the under the hood stuf at all.
    08-26-2015 11:00 AM
    It is pretty easy to block all this traffic at the router level if you wish. Nothing gets through my network unless I decide it should. If your network does not operate similarly then security is hardly a major thing for you.

Yes, you could say MS should be less keen to broadcast. That would not solve the problem of many other programs sending info unbidden though. You still need a properly secure network, so this is an intellectual rather than a practical concern.

I am no W10 fan and I hold data that I do not own so I must be sure it is not accessed by or sent to third parties without my getting express permission from the information owners. It would be a criminal offence for me to allow such. I have many concerns about W10 but this is not one of them. Hopefully that will give you some confidence.
    08-26-2015 11:22 AM
    I was reading through the comment section of this article. Everyone seems to bash Windows 10.
    Windows 10 market share growth slows to just ten per cent ? The Register Forums
    What a surprise, The Register bashing something from Microsoft!!!!
    Muessig and illegaloperation like this.
    08-26-2015 12:17 PM
    it's just click hate. W10 is really great. a fool and his data are soon parted, regardless of OS.
    neo158 likes this.
    08-26-2015 12:22 PM
    it's just click hate. W10 is really great. a fool and his data are soon parted, regardless of OS.
    Windows 10 is well ropey in many areas, but your network security should not be and so this should not be a concern. Never rely on the promises of others to ensure the security of the data you are responsible for protecting.
    neo158 likes this.
    08-26-2015 12:31 PM
    I think the reason people bash Windows 10 is that most people are novices .... As I am too..... I down loaded Windows 10 ...... as my pop up kept asking me to schedule my down load...... after a week of fantast speed and features I found my first problem..... When I slide showed my 28 pictures from my nephews ... It only showed 5 over and over..... next when I restarted my computer the screen when blank...... Oh and have I mentioned I am a novice.... ahahahah... It cost me 45 to reload Windows 7 ... was I ripped off?.... Does Microsoft owe me 45? ... I can only surmise that you are all technical experts .... and only surmise that most computer problems can be fixed by yourselves.... We novices have the rough end of computer updates.... Thank you for reading this...... I do feel helpless and rather miffed at my computer still telling me to schedule Window 10... ahahahah
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-26-2015 03:18 PM
    I think the reason people bash Windows 10 is that most people are novices .... As I am too..... I down loaded Windows 10 ...... as my pop up kept asking me to schedule my down load...... after a week of fantast speed and features I found my first problem..... When I slide showed my 28 pictures from my nephews ... It only showed 5 over and over..... next when I restarted my computer the screen when blank...... Oh and have I mentioned I am a novice.... ahahahah... It cost me 45 to reload Windows 7 ... was I ripped off?.... Does Microsoft owe me 45? ... I can only surmise that you are all technical experts .... and only surmise that most computer problems can be fixed by yourselves.... We novices have the rough end of computer updates.... Thank you for reading this...... I do feel helpless and rather miffed at my computer still telling me to schedule Window 10... ahahahah
    In a fair world MS would reimburse your 45 quid, but it won't happen. People like yourself are in a tough spot, not particularly technical and so not in a position to deal with something like this. You got forced into something that isn't really ready to eat yet. At least you seem reasonably good humored about it despite the dyspepsia. Try the upgrade again in about 6-8 months.
    08-26-2015 04:14 PM
    It is pretty easy to block all this traffic at the router level if you wish. Nothing gets through my network unless I decide it should. If your network does not operate similarly then security is hardly a major thing for you.

Yes, you could say MS should be less keen to broadcast. That would not solve the problem of many other programs sending info unbidden though. You still need a properly secure network, so this is an intellectual rather than a practical concern.

I am no W10 fan and I hold data that I do not own so I must be sure it is not accessed by or sent to third parties without my getting express permission from the information owners. It would be a criminal offence for me to allow such. I have many concerns about W10 but this is not one of them. Hopefully that will give you some confidence.
    Teach us your ways of blocking data at the router level. I wanna learn too
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:34 PM
    Every now and then, someone goes nuts over privacy. It's a curious reaction, given all the things that we use that connect us and which also share innumerable details about us. All of that info you'll see when you do a self search came from somewhere. I'm not against prudent caution, nor am I against pushing back against corporate intrusions, but acting like this is an outrage and getting all indignant is just silly. The fool system is free. What exactly are we owed when making use of something free? There are some things, but there are some expectations that are probably a bit of a reach.

If you don't like it, vote with your feet... er operating system. Use something else. Me, I'm quite happy with W10.
    08-26-2015 05:36 PM
    Teach us your ways of blocking data at the router level. I wanna learn too
    It's not easy at all, maybe not even possible. You would have to block boatloads of IP addresses, and they don't stay the same. Like a lot of companies, MS farms out a lot of services to other providers like Akamai and MarkMonitor. It would be a full time job trying to keep up with them all.
    milkyway likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:39 PM
    If you didn't already know, The Register is one of the most anti-Microsoft website out there.

If you are worried about privacy, you better not be using iOS or Android.

The FUD is strong with this one.

I hope that they don't use Android or iOS.

...and Russia? Only Tzar Putin can see your data!
    neo158 likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:39 PM
    Personally I haven't seen this negativity towards windows 10, but I have seen people thinking that they will hold off upgrading because they have a year to do that.

I think its more likely to be a slow news day...
    In my office, the engineers were not so keen on Windows 8.1 and vowed it would never be introduced in our enterprise. Flash forward to the release of Windows 10. Several of them dropped them on their work laptops and then on a workstation they use. Since they are in ear shot, almost everyday I hear one of them make a discovery about Windows 10 and they pass the info on to other engineers who like the discovery. One of the engineers that has an Iphone 6+, acquired a Lumia 930 which was a shocker to me and has TP installed to boot. Since then, my colleague is talking about getting a Windows phone. He currently runs android. My company is replacing ipads with the Surface tablets. This what what I'm personally witnessing. Hate forums are all about hate stories and most of them are lying.
    08-26-2015 07:20 PM
93 1234