Is Windows 10 the most hated OS?

Dennis Koll

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, to be honest, in Europe Win10 is getting to be a big disaster. In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc. It's even worse than Win8. Many people I know are instantly switching back to Win7 reverting the Win10 license. MS messed it up big this time... The future of Windows is very uncertain in Europe because trust to MS has really took a hit. Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
Hard times for MS are incoming, that's for sure.
And due to this, in Germany Windows 10 Mobile will fail hard. Many are predicting this already.

It is simply sad to see that MS seems to continue making mistakes after another...

Last edited by a moderator:

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The real percent increase for Windows 10 will be near the end of the free upgrade offer, i.e about 1 year from now. At this moment people dont feel obligated to switch as there is no harm in NOT upgrading.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally I haven't seen this negativity towards windows 10, but I have seen people thinking that they will hold off upgrading because they have a year to do that.

I think its more likely to be a slow news day...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.

You got a source for that? I have not yet seen any article making specifically that claim. All I've read are that some European nations (including Switzerland) are investigating whether W10 conforms to their (often stricter) digital privacy laws, which is really just business as usual. The only difference is that W10, as an OS that integrates many cloud based services, gives these agencies a lot more ground to cover. I've seen lists of everything being investigated and all of it is directly traceable to a viable service ("voice data" for Cortana on W10, "caller metadata" to sync contacts and call history between devices using Skype, etc etc). Even if one of these countries were to find violations, there is no way that would result in a ban. Your claims sound dubious to me.

As always, the real question is not whether data is exchanged (exchanging data is technically required for any online service, including e-mail that people have been fine with for over a decade), but whom that data legally belongs to after being exchanged and what MS are legally allowed to do with it. Most of the boulevard tech press articles I've seen don't have staff capable of understanding those nuances, nor do they care, as their performance is measure by clicks rather than by truth or technical competence.

If MS is legally allowed to use that data for monetization purposes, and they are creating behavioral profiles like Google is, even for enterprise Windows users, then they do have a vary unfortunate issue on their hands. It would be hard to believe they stepped into that though. So far I've not read that. There is a lot of click-bait trash going around, and it's unfortunate that a lot of people will fall for this, but that's the world we live in today.

Last edited:

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Russia News - Lawmaker requests Russian government to ban Windows 10 in state agencies
"Vice-Speaker of the State Duma, lower house of the Russian parliament, Nikolai Levichev has urged the Russian authorities to check the activities of Microsoft Corporation in Russia and prohibit the use of Windows 10 operating system in state agencies."

almost every newspaper in my country (Austria) is reporting on privacy concerns about Windows 10. there's a lot of FUD going on here and people are afraid so they won't update their systems

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc.

I find that kind of ironic, considering that Germany is a very strong market for Android. I'm not a conspirator against Google (I use Android myself), but Google has that same reputation.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Russia News - Lawmaker requests Russian government to ban Windows 10 in state agencies"[/I]

almost every newspaper in my country (Austria) is reporting on privacy concerns about Windows 10. there's a lot of FUD going on here and people are afraid so they won't update their systems

The idea that a semi-authoritarian big-brother state like Russia has a problem with consumer privacy protections is laughable. Russia obviously has reasons for their actions, namely their ever expanding efforts to nurture their own semiconductor and software industry. They aim to reduce their technological dependence on the west, and MS is an obvious target for such endeavors. That's all understandable. Just the way they sell it is a bit of a joke. Russia's motivations are purely political and are completely unrelated to the issues being raised in western Europe.

I'd be far more interested in Austria's stance on the issue.

Last edited:

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The idea that a semi-authoritarian big-brother state like Russia has a problem with consumer privacy protections is laughable. Russia obviously has reasons for their actions, namely their ever expanding efforts to nurture their own semiconductor and software industry. They aim to reduce their technological dependence on the west, and MS is an obvious target for such endeavors. That's all understandable. They way they sell it is just a bit of a joke. Russia's motivations are purely political and are completely unrelated to the issues being raised in western Europe.

I'd be far more interested in Austria's stance on the issue.

well, there's no official statement of Austrian politics or authorities about Windows 10, but only the bad press in newspapers. I could give you many links to Austrian online newspapers but they are all in German of course

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I find that kind of ironic, considering that Germany is a very strong market for Android. I'm not a conspirator against Google (I use Android myself), but Google has that same reputation.

Yeah, makes no sense to me either. I doubt most of western Europe is all that worried about potential violations of their citizens privacy. Switzerland may be an exception, but I'm skeptical about that one too. What I do think they are worried about is the privacy of corporate and government entities. Windows is an important part of such entities IT infrastructure. Governments will require that such installations can be easily, reliably and securely locked down, i.e. prevented from exchanging data with U.S. servers, and/or prevented from accessing cloud services altogether.

For enterprise customers that should be the default setup. I could imagine MS getting into trouble if it isn't. For Android (or any other mobile OS) this just isn't as important, as such devices aren't part of the IT backbone of such organizations.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
well, there's no official statement of Austrian politics or authorities about Windows 10, but only the bad press in newspapers. I could give you many links to Austrian online newspapers but they are all in German of course

I'm in Switzerland, so German is fine too ;-)

We have our fair share of trash media too, so I don't need any more of that. What I'm interested in is something more substantial, which explains a government's positions on W10 while addressing the issues I raised in post #5. That is something I have not yet seen.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, to be honest, in Europe Win10 is getting to be a big disaster. In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc. It's even worse than Win8. Many people I know are instantly switching back to Win7 reverting the Win10 license. MS messed it up big this time... The future of Windows is very uncertain in Europe because trust to MS has really took a hit. Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
Hard times for MS are incoming, that's for sure.
And due to this, in Germany Windows 10 Mobile will fail hard. Many are predicting this already.

It is simply sad to see that MS seems to continue making mistakes after another...

I want to see your sources.

Also, the privacy concerns are of no concern when MS is doing nothing they and other OS's haven't done before. The terms and agreement specifies that MS has the right to scan through MS own IP (ie MS store and Xbox content), not anything else on the user's drives. THIS is a good read and explains it nicely in a way for everyone to understand. Other sources like MS's own T&A should also be read. You would think that with Europe collective intelligence being superior (/s) to the U.S. that they wouldn't fall for FUD so easily.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Russia News - Lawmaker requests Russian government to ban Windows 10 in state agencies
"Vice-Speaker of the State Duma, lower house of the Russian parliament, Nikolai Levichev has urged the Russian authorities to check the activities of Microsoft Corporation in Russia and prohibit the use of Windows 10 operating system in state agencies."

This is the same nation who for a while now wants to throw Microsoft out in favor of its own in-house OS. Oh, which reminds me, it is also the same nation who also wants to toss out anything Apple and Android in favor to develop its own smartphone platform, called Sailfish or Sailboat or something. Russia will say what they want. Nothing to see here, move along.....

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
OMG Russia is bad mouthing MS for being Totalitarian Dictators. Next thing you know Stalin will be calling Putin a Nazi Communist....or vice versa.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss