Is Windows 10 the most hated OS?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
OK guys, pretend that you love (or hate) all tech companies equally, and see if this makes sense:

All the tech companies have been collecting data. What happened here is that with Windows 10, Microsoft is more open about it. They were doing it before; it just wasn't as obvious. Google always was more open about it, which is why they got the bad press.

Now, Microsoft is basically announcing, "Alright folks, we're now openly telling you that we're doing what Google and Apple (and even we ourselves) have been doing since like forever."

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
HELL YEAH.
I hate this OS more then any OS ever.
Microsoft continues to screwup often.
I'll just stay with second most hated OS=8.

Przemyslaw Pacocha

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
WIn 10 is a better mode of Win 8.1 but I guess tablet-users will find more attractive using its touchscreen. But Microsoft went for the oldies adding kind of old start button, and that's cool

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OK guys, pretend that you love (or hate) all tech companies equally, and see if this makes sense:

All the tech companies have been collecting data. What happened here is that with Windows 10, Microsoft is more open about it. They were doing it before; it just wasn't as obvious. Google always was more open about it, which is why they got the bad press.

Now, Microsoft is basically announcing, "Alright folks, we're now openly telling you that we're doing what Google and Apple (and even we ourselves) have been doing since like forever."

Nope. Makes no sense. Like I said, the fact that data is collected is irrelevant. It's impossible to create any online service without collecting at least some of the user's data. Without that data, there is nothing worthwhile a service could do.

What matters is how that data is used, i.e. whom that data belongs to after it is collected and what rights to your data these companies claim for themselves in return for offering a free service.

In this area the differences between Microsoft, Apple and Google were often like night and day. It's not like that anymore, or at least it's become increasingly difficult for me to ascertain what those differences are. It seems each company can go on and on over how that data is used, but none of them are willing to make any commitments in terms of what they will not use that data for.

What I do know is that MS can't bring this approach to their paying enterprise customers, at least not without being ridiculed and laughed out of the room. I'm just not yet sure how that plays out in practice.

Anyway, there are still some very obvious differences between these companies, like this statement from MS:

However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you.

Google goes through most of that data in an attempt to monetize whatever it can. To me that's just way too creepy. In a nutshell, I agree that the differences are far less stark than they used to be, but pretending they are all one and the same isn't correct either.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Makes no sense. Like I said, the fact that data is collected is irrelevant. It's impossible to create any online service without collecting at least some of the user's data. Without that data, there is nothing worthwhile a service could do.

What matters is how that data is used, i.e. whom that data belongs to after it is collected and what rights to your data these companies claim for themselves in return for offering a free service.

I had referenced this subject in my post, but removed it before I posted it.

I agree that the important thing is how the data is used. And I do not believe for one second that Microsoft did not use data for targeted advertising. Google is more in the limelight because they do most of it, but Microsoft has done it in the past and is now pursuing it more aggressively. Display Ad Targeting Solutions - Microsoft Advertising

One of the arguments used against Google on Microsoft fan forums is something like "If a product is free, YOU are the product!" Well, meet Windows 10! If you think that Microsoft is giving it away out of the goodness of their hearts, then I have no clue what to say to you!

Targeted advertising is not creepy; what's creepy is data collection without the victim being aware of it. In that respect, Microsoft was, until Windows 10, a much bigger offender. Google was always open about it, which is probably why they got the reputation. It's not that the others didn't do it; it's more that we didn't know they did it.

Microsoft and Google and whoever else does targeted advertising do not sell your data to advertisers. They direct ads to you because you fit a specific demographic. Selling your data would kill their business, as their customers would then have no need for them, since they would then have your information.

And either way, we all sell ourselves in some way. If you go to work and are paid by your employer, the company takes control of your time, and you are paid for your time. You are under obligation to do what they tell you to do.

We would all be flabbergasted if we had any clue what big retailers know about us. In some ways they put the big tech companies to shame in that respect. Target (a large US based department store similar to Walmart) for example knows what route you're likely to take through their store, and they position products accordingly. They also tailor the flyers mailed to your house to fit your interests! Creepy?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. I call it "business as usual".

And that's my point! It's all "business as usual". Welcome to the age of the Internet.

And for the record, I don't think data collection or targeted advertising is creepy either. I am fully aware that by using a company's product that is online, they are collecting my data. And I choose to use it and to go online anyway.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had referenced this subject in my post, but removed it before I posted it.

I agree that the important thing is how the data is used. And I do not believe for one second that Microsoft did not use data for targeted advertising. Google is more in the limelight because they do most of it, but Microsoft has done it in the past and is now pursuing it more aggressively. Display Ad Targeting Solutions - Microsoft Advertising

One of the arguments used against Google on Microsoft fan forums is something like "If a product is free, YOU are the product!" Well, meet Windows 10! If you think that Microsoft is giving it away out of the goodness of their hearts, then I have no clue what to say to you!

Targeted advertising is not creepy; what's creepy is data collection without the victim being aware of it. In that respect, Microsoft was, until Windows 10, a much bigger offender. Google was always open about it, which is probably why they got the reputation. It's not that the others didn't do it; it's more that we didn't know they did it.

Microsoft and Google and whoever else does targeted advertising do not sell your data to advertisers. They direct ads to you because you fit a specific demographic. Selling your data would kill their business, as their customers would then have no need for them, since they would then have your information.

And either way, we all sell ourselves in some way. If you go to work and are paid by your employer, the company takes control of your time, and you are paid for your time. You are under obligation to do what they tell you to do.

We would all be flabbergasted if we had any clue what big retailers know about us. In some ways they put the big tech companies to shame in that respect. Target (a large US based department store similar to Walmart) for example knows what route you're likely to take through their store, and they position products accordingly. They also tailor the flyers mailed to your house to fit your interests! Creepy?
That's true and even impacts people who don't use smartphone location services or store apps.

I shop at Giant Eagle. For every $50 I spend in the store using my rewards card, I get $0.10 off on gas at their GetGo gas station. So they know everything I buy. Do I care? No. I just want my discount.

Same with Starbucks. Using the Starbucks card provides special offers from Starbucks. The special offers are usually for drinks I've ordered previously.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
1. Windows 10 is spyware.
2. Windows 7 works great. Why upgrade when its not broken?
3. Windows 10 forced automatic updates are a big no no. I should be able to update anytime i want at my convenience not at Microsoft's convenience.
4. Am happy with Windows 7.
5. Lots of people facing issues with the upgrade process. Not sure if its worth the hassle.
6. Still lots of bugs and issues. Needs more time to mature.
7. I still have one year to decide whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not so what's the hurry in upgrading.
8. Am happy with Windows 7.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think over the years the general consensus has become to wait a while before upgrading. It used to be "wait for the first service pack" but now that there technically aren't anymore service packs people are just going to give it some time. As others have mentioned the EOL of Windows 7 will play a part as well.

My opinion was always that they should've timed the EOL of Windows XP to overlap with the release of w10. I can say with almost certainty that had Windows 10 been out and around for a while when they stopped supporting XP that we would've upgraded all machines to 10. We ended up upgrading everyone to w7. A lot of places didn't abandon XP until they were absolutely forced to and I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true with w7.

Although he did let the devs upgrade to 10 :)

As for privacy/security concerns, I think Google had a lot to do with it, both in their own suspect practices and in their efforts to expose vulnerabilities in MS' products.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I find that kind of ironic, considering that Germany is a very strong market for Android. I'm not a conspirator against Google (I use Android myself), but Google has that same reputation.

Microsoft was found to be abusing its position by the US and the EU.
Google is under investigation, but has not been found guilty of anything so far.

The 'consumer' versions of Windows 10 do not allow you to turn off 'Diagnostic and usage data' without a registry hack; MS will always collect information about what you're doing. Enterprise versions do permit it to be turned off.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft was found to be abusing its position by the US and the EU.
Google is under investigation, but has not been found guilty of anything so far.

I think part of the reason is that Microsoft, at the time, was a monopoly. In fact, Microsoft at one point was forced to either bail out Apple or break up. It seems kind of strange that a company would be forced to keep their competition from going under, but that's basically what happened. Google has much more competition than Microsoft had at the time.

Also, there could be a double standard at play here.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
1. Windows 10 is spyware.
2. Windows 7 works great. Why upgrade when its not broken?
3. Windows 10 forced automatic updates are a big no no. I should be able to update anytime i want at my convenience not at Microsoft's convenience.
4. Am happy with Windows 7.
5. Lots of people facing issues with the upgrade process. Not sure if its worth the hassle.
6. Still lots of bugs and issues. Needs more time to mature.
7. I still have one year to decide whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not so what's the hurry in upgrading.
8. Am happy with Windows 7.

Good for you.

Google is under investigation, but has yet to be charged.

I fixed it for you.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 is a big success because people DONT like Windows 8.1 no matter how many fans here love it. The other 1/2 have had Windows 7 for many years and hey, something new for free ? Nice.

If Windows 10 was a $40 upgrade, I would almost bet that it would be under 2 million by now...(just 80-90% 8.1 users).

Their goal here is for giving it for free that the MARKETPLACE grows and Universal apps makes WIndows and Windows Phone apps go. I hope what they do is a success because of it's not, it will be the most hated OS ever (Marketplace dies and it's no better than Windows 7 accept some new features).

If it's a failure, I don't think there will be a Windows 11 phone.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers