How to fix the App Gap (We need YOU!)

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So, the solution is rather simple: DEVELOPP APPS! Let me developp (no pun intended):
Windows Phone has the largest percentage of developpers amongst it's users, compared to other platforms. We need to make that bigger. YOU, reading this post right now, are you passionate about the platform? Would you love to see windows mobile 10 NOT fail? Here is how you can actually help:

-Do you know how to code HTML and JavaScript? You can make native windows 10 apps with your web developpement knowledge, without learning C++ or C#. Check this out: https://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/windows/apps/mt280216.aspx

-Are you very comfortable with tech? If you know what a bios is for, chances are, you are capable of learning C#, and producing a functional app in less than a month. There are great ressources out there, and it's a very simple, yet complete, programming language. I learnt from scratch in about two months. If Do you not feel confident about developping apps, Look at this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/dn765018.aspx And see how simple it really is.

-Do you still not feel confident? You can help the community in one last way:

I'm asking you to suggest what app you want to come to the platform. Not bank apps, or snapchat, but app concepts. For example, I would love an alarm clock that will not turn off unless you tap it against an NFC tag, so I'm currently developping such a thing. I'm going to update this post every few days with your suggestions:

APP IDEAS

Just to finish off, if you're a developper, no more of this BS:
GoweNPl.png

Attachments

• GoweNPI.png
    GoweNPI.png
    503 bytes · Views: 35

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
What am awesome post, have been a WP fan since 2011 and working hard on selling devices by recommending and suggesting, sold about 20 Lumias :).....i know it's not too mush, but those 20 are selling Lumias, it's a cycle :D

Nikolai Kuzbanovsky

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
All right here is what I need: An app or a feature to transfer input and output from my w10 pc to my w10 phone. For example, answering a phone call from the pc, typing on the phone using the pc keyboard, streaming audio and video from one to the other, changing settings (volume, brightness etc) from one to the other. And you can think of many more, but I think the ability to transfer input and output will open many new horizons!

I would like to see this as a native feature by microsoft, not like an app. So that app developers can use it and implement it on their apps.

PS: What I am proposing is not the continuum, just a transfer over the wifi. Now tell me, how likely do you think is MS to develop such a feature? I think it is totally unlikely, the guys over there are worse than greek government officials

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
All right here is what I need: An app or a feature to transfer input and output from my w10 pc to my w10 phone. For example, answering a phone call from the pc, typing on the phone using the pc keyboard, streaming audio and video from one to the other, changing settings (volume, brightness etc) from one to the other. And you can think of many more, but I think the ability to transfer input and output will open many new horizons!

I would like to see this as a native feature by microsoft, not like an app. So that app developers can use it and implement it on their apps.

PS: What I am proposing is not the continuum, just a transfer over the wifi. Now tell me, how likely do you think is MS to develop such a feature? I think it is totally unlikely, the guys over there are worse than greek government officials
Sadly, developpers don't have access to any APIs that would allow us to do that. But Microsoft is already adding the ability to awnser to texts via a pc in the redstone update coming at the end of the year, so I don't see why they couldn't add some of the features you said :)

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Although I commend your intentions, I wish it was that simple for the app gap. But it isn't always the case.

For instance, I offered a news paper to make their app on Windows Phone like they did on iOS and Android. I even told them it was going to be free with no ads unless they wanted me to put ads for them. I would have done it all for free! They declined and forbade me from even making an unofficial app as they are not interested in Windows Phone.

My bank has a great mobile website that I could make a wrapper for. But what if something happened to someone? I wouldn't want them to come back against me.

Tinder blocks account using 3rd party app.

And so on. For the rest I don't really see what one could do to help with the app gap because the main problem is that the companies themselves won't make official apps. Because let us not kid ourselves: unless you know the person/company making the 3rd party app (like Rudy), most won't use them or download them (and sometimes even with devs like Rudy). Until there's official apps, the sales pitch will remain "it's not available on Windows Phone"...

I have a lot of hope with the the project for porting iOS and Android versions to Windows Phone. Minimal effort for companies and a more consistant experience throughout the mobile world.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Although I commend your intentions, I wish it was that simple for the app gap. But it isn't always the case.

For instance, I offered a news paper to make their app on Windows Phone like they did on iOS and Android. I even told them it was going to be free with no ads unless they wanted me to put ads for them. I would have done it all for free! They declined and forbade me from even making an unofficial app as they are not interested in Windows Phone.

My bank has a great mobile website that I could make a wrapper for. But what if something happened to someone? I wouldn't want them to come back against me.

And so on. For the rest I don't really see what one could do to help with the app gap because the main problem is that the companies themselves won't make official apps. Because let us not kid ourselves: unless you know the person/company making the 3rd party app (like Rudy), most won't use them or download them (and sometimes even with devs like Rudy). Until there's official apps, the sales pitch will remain "it's not available on Windows Phone"...

I have a lot of hope with the the project for porting iOS and Android versions to Windows Phone. Minimal effort for companies and a more consistant experience throughout the mobile world.
Sadly, if that news paper refused that you should build a free unofficial app for them (real douchebags), I doubt they will port their Android app to windows phone, even if it's as simple as drag and dropping a .apk. Also, I know this will not fix the app gap, I'm just trying to raise awareness.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes I feel Google is behind this kind of stories

Nikolai Kuzbanovsky

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Hhmm no Fahmi, I don't think google is behind this. Windows phone is less than 5%, why would a company care? Do they make apps for blackberry? or tizen? NO.
And if MS does not make the os really good, not users nor companies will care.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I feel Google is behind this kind of stories

That would be a bit mad wouldn't it?

To be honest, other than the newspaper who was offered a free app with no development or support on their part, I can understand why companies don't bother (except Google) on a purely business point of view of course. If you create an app and you're still under the impression that 10,000 people (random number to illustrate the low percentage of Windows Phone users) are using Windows Phone and that a small percentage of those will actually use your app while the rest of the world uses iOS and Android, then why bother putting the money? These companies are not there to respect their clients but rather to make a buck. If they can profit off of Windows Phone, they'll get on board. Otherwise, they don't give a rats buttock about us because it's not worth the investiment. That's a sad fact.

Take Instagram for example. What if every Windows Phone user stopped using their service altogether because their official app is as useful as a fridge to an eskimo. How many users would that represent vs the ones using it on iOS (which it was originally exclusive to) and Android (which has the majority of the users in the world)? A very small fraction. So they don't bother because they don't need to.

Sometimes though, the company or service actually isn't wealthy enough to create a Windows Phone app. Those are the ones I think the porting will help.

As for Google, it's all a matter of putting virtual stick in Microsoft's wheel. We all know Google doesn't care about its customers as they are their product. They'll care even less about the ones using their competitor's systems and services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb