So...should I update now or wait?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a dell E6530, Windows 7 pro, 64 bit, in case it matters. I play games via steam (though they're stationed on an external hard drive to save space). I have and use Office 2010 - mostly word and excel - and Firefox. I used a work laptop for a while that had Windows 8.1 - with a few addons to make it more Windows 7 like - and while I wasn't using Steam etc, it worked fine for what I used it for.

After having to re-install Internet Explorer, I finally got all the Windows 10 reservation stuff, and I now have the option to update. I suppose if I'm going to do it I'd do the clean install or whatever if it makes that much of a difference.

Anyway, Daniel's review was very encouraging of updating now, and while the forum is for troubleshooting, between some of the posts on here and the article about how to revert back to windows 8, I unsure whether to pull the trigger with Windows 10 or wait to avoid what appears to be various bugs/problems with the process and/or having the pc work correctly.

So should I upgrade now - does my setup indicate it will be better or worse - or should I wait a few months for Windows 10 to be updated and cleaned up a bit? Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
If you can verify that there is driver support for your laptop's model specific things (touchpad, random keyboard buttons, etc..) then there's really no reason not to. You'll get faster boots and some nifty things (Cortana, Task View, built in screen capture, etc..).

Once you do upgrade, if it looks like your games aren't working, check the permissions on your folders. If you go from logging in on a local account in Windows 7 to a Microsoft Account on Windows 10, you may need to tweak folder permissions to give Authenticated Users write access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon