Why aren't my Windows 10 Mail, Store, Calendar apps opening?

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Mail, Store, Calendar apps not Opening

I'm running a fresh clean install of the Windows 10 operating system. Everything worked fine for a couple days after I got hooked up with my Microsoft account. However, now the Mail, Calendar, and Store applications will not open. What can I do to get these working again? I've already attempted an SFC check and can't think of much else to do since these apps are native to the Windows 10 OS itself.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mail, Store, Calendar apps not Opening

they are not native, they are just as separated as other apps, the difference it's you can't uninstall unless you run powershell commands. only some really system apps could have problems. but what I did when I removed Edge was to remove the folder and sfc repaired, Edge was working good, but I wanted to test it.
sfc reported any error it couldn't fix? if it says something couldn't be fixed you could try dism.

but like I said, you can always go to powershell and uninstall the apps like mail and calendar that way. and then go to store and redownload them. of course you should fix first the store. so there are some ways you could try like reinstalling the store.

you can get all the packages names by Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

and reinstall the store that way.
Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.8.25.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

or you could reinstall all apps by using
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I restarted my computer and ran the command right away so no apps would get locked and give an error, that's a tip that worked with me.

you could also try to do something extreme, make a system restore point thing, and delete store from program files\WindowsApps and run sfc, it should be reinstalled since it's a system app, it should be like when I deleted Edge and sfc fixed it.
But of course this is risky.

Everything works great on my side after many tests I made, there is no much I can't say about Store, maybe a driver not installed could be the cause? or something? who knows, it's not my computer. but nothing I have suggested would destroy your computer and make it useless so you could try it. I have deleted and reinstalled apps and such, even edge. and I am still fine using Edge here.

anyway, if you get to fix your Store you could always run Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage and then download the apps from store.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mail, Store, Calendar apps not Opening

they are not native, they are just as separated as other apps, the difference it's you can't uninstall unless you run powershell commands. only some really system apps could have problems. but what I did when I removed Edge was to remove the folder and sfc repaired, Edge was working good, but I wanted to test it.
sfc reported any error it couldn't fix? if it says something couldn't be fixed you could try dism.

but like I said, you can always go to powershell and uninstall the apps like mail and calendar that way. and then go to store and redownload them. of course you should fix first the store. so there are some ways you could try like reinstalling the store.

you can get all the packages names by Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

and reinstall the store that way.
Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.8.25.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

or you could reinstall all apps by using
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I restarted my computer and ran the command right away so no apps would get locked and give an error, that's a tip that worked with me.

you could also try to do something extreme, make a system restore point thing, and delete store from program files\WindowsApps and run sfc, it should be reinstalled since it's a system app, it should be like when I deleted Edge and sfc fixed it.
But of course this is risky.

Everything works great on my side after many tests I made, there is no much I can't say about Store, maybe a driver not installed could be the cause? or something? who knows, it's not my computer. but nothing I have suggested would destroy your computer and make it useless so you could try it. I have deleted and reinstalled apps and such, even edge. and I am still fine using Edge here.

anyway, if you get to fix your Store you could always run Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage and then download the apps from store.

Good suggestions,

SFC did not report any errors which just made me scratch my head some more. I've barely installed anything on the unit. I'm curious as to what driver issue may have caused these particular applications to stop responding.

I will try your commands and report back in a bit.

Thanks!

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I attempted multiple commands and ultimately none of them were working. The command you gave indicated that the app manifest could not be found. Interestingly enough I tried my other account on the same computer and the mail/store/calendar apps opened up. However, if I use my primary account they will not open. I'm not sure what caused the issue, but since I haven't done anything with the system I decided to do a reset and see if that resolves the problem.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
well maybe just by creating a new account and removing the one you had, would have fixed it. I always do it like create local account and then put my email, because I want my user folder to be Emi not the address of my email. so I never had any problems about it. I clean installed and Windows 10 has worked nicely, who knows what happened on your side.
I guess I could have fixed it, but I don't wish to get unopened store or anything haha.

I got an idea though... if the app opens on one account but not on yours maybe if you went to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Packages and deleting store folder, MAYBE that would have fixed it. you reinstall the apps and try again.
oh btw, you should have had changed the powershell lines I gave you to your proper path. it works on me, but it might be different version on your side. if it says it doesn't find the manifest but the apps work on the other account, that means the path for you was different.

of course you are resetting, and no suggestion will do much now. but maybe next time (which hopefully doesn't happen) you can try these tips. maybe something got corrupted on the packages folder on your account and that's it. maybe it would have worked? I mean, it's just what I got from, you trying another userprofile and the app working.

But good luck! hopefully the reset won't give you problems again.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
well maybe just by creating a new account and removing the one you had, would have fixed it. I always do it like create local account and then put my email, because I want my user folder to be Emi not the address of my email. so I never had any problems about it. I clean installed and Windows 10 has worked nicely, who knows what happened on your side.
I guess I could have fixed it, but I don't wish to get unopened store or anything haha.

I got an idea though... if the app opens on one account but not on yours maybe if you went to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Packages and deleting store folder, MAYBE that would have fixed it. you reinstall the apps and try again.
oh btw, you should have had changed the powershell lines I gave you to your proper path. it works on me, but it might be different version on your side. if it says it doesn't find the manifest but the apps work on the other account, that means the path for you was different.

of course you are resetting, and no suggestion will do much now. but maybe next time (which hopefully doesn't happen) you can try these tips. maybe something got corrupted on the packages folder on your account and that's it. maybe it would have worked? I mean, it's just what I got from, you trying another userprofile and the app working.

But good luck! hopefully the reset won't give you problems again.

I attempted some of these ideas based on other tutorials and guides I found, but they still didn't work. After resetting everything seems to be working now, but in the future if the same thing happens I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Thanks for the tips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)