Windows Mobile becoming Android?

Mr Question himself

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I've been using wp10 tp since two months now. And the fact that I did notice is that the UI is gradually converting into android. WP8.1 had an awesome UI and I wanted that same UI to be in 10. But everytime I use my phone,I feel like using an android device. I wish the final build will change this!
Some of the "androidy" looks.... round contacts, aeroplane sign in place of send button, hamburger menu, looks of app start page, dialer, mail app, music app and playback, files app (this is the only android feel i want it to stay), etc.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's the case. It can't be denied. But don't expect from Microsoft to just abandon it all now after all the development, just because someone thinks it's too Androidy.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Is becoming android, in fact lost the smoothness of Windows phone and the UI is being too heavy as, that the Lumia 520 can run of smooth way also lost performance in fact ran antutu in two 520 one running Windows phone 8.1.1 with denim, the second running the Windows 10TP mobile the Lumia running 10 experienced an lost in the scoring of at least 20-40 points

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you guys need to keep in mind a couple of things here.

1. You're talking about the OS losing the smoothness of WP. You realise you're using a technical preview of an OS that's still having features added and bugs ironed out, right? MS is still optimising the OS. Let's reserve criticisms of the performance of the OS until it's been optimised for your device. Then we'll talk.
2. You need to recognise that WP 8.1 and previous was seen as a completely separate system to any other operating system. W10 is seen as a cohesive whole operating system operating across all different devices. The reason we've got different styling now is because that styling goes across the PC, Tablets, Xbox (with the W10 update) and now phones.

You've raised some valid points but just saying X is different to Y isn't really going to help anything.

Czesky

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't care about it. There should be available some tricks to do with Windows 10 Mobile - like converting apps from Android. I like it and keep it up.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The reason we've got different styling now is because that styling goes across the PC, Tablets, Xbox (with the W10 update) and now phones.

True, of course, but I'm nevertheless with the OP here. One a mobile phone, WP8.1 was great and LOADS BETTER to use than W10M. In other words, in order to delivery a coherent user experience across platforms Microsoft has spoiled the experience on phones. As the OP says, the price of coherence is that W10M looks MUCH more like Android than did WP8.1, and I really, really dislike it.

If I wanted an Android phone I'd buy and Android phone. What I want on my phone is an even better version of W8.1. I'm very sad that the cool, innovative and beautiful design language of WP8.1 has been abandoned.

You've raised some valid points but just saying X is different to Y isn't really going to help anything.

Now, now, you know what the OP meant. He isn't saying "X is different to Y" he's saying "X is much worse than Y", and that is an entirely legitimate opinion and is valid feedback. And it's an opinion I completely agree with.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
True, of course, but I'm nevertheless with the OP here. One a mobile phone, WP8.1 was great and LOADS BETTER to use than W10M. In other words, in order to delivery a coherent user experience across platforms Microsoft has spoiled the experience on phones. As the OP says, the price of coherence is that W10M looks MUCH more like Android than did WP8.1, and I really, really dislike it.

If I wanted an Android phone I'd buy and Android phone. What I want on my phone is an even better version of W8.1. I'm very sad that the cool, innovative and beautiful design language of WP8.1 has been abandoned.

Now, now, you know what the OP meant. He isn't saying "X is different to Y" he's saying "X is much worse than Y", and that is an entirely legitimate opinion and is valid feedback. And it's an opinion I completely agree with.
Hey you're using incomplete OS
PPlease realize that they isn't start optimized it yet.

I think iit's still on adding features stages so stop using it. Read the agreement when you apply for insider before complaining

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey you're using incomplete OS
PPlease realize that they isn't start optimized it yet. I think iit's still on adding features stages so stop using it. Read the agreement when you apply for insider before complaining

You are stating the obvious and something we all know. The point is, the direction of development is clear and there will be no abrupt reversal at this late stage (just a few weeks from launch, by all accounts).

You do realise, don't you, that the purpose of Insider testing is to gather as much feedback as possible? That's what we're doing. I've also sent all mine via the Feedback app. As an Insider, I'm doing my job.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
To tell MS that their OS is looking like a wannabe version of Android. They did remove the hamburger menu in the photos app though so maybe they're getting the hint.
They removed the hamburger menu because it wasn't necessary in that application. Hamburger menus are supposed to be used to store large amounts of information and pages. If there's only 2-3 pages and Settings, like Photos or Phone, then there's no point to the hamburger menu. The ellipsis was never meant for navigation.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think Windows 10 Mobile is a breath of fresh air and probably a necessary change. Windows Phone 8.1's design wasn't exactly working, was it? It just alienated too many people. Yes, the pivot navigational system was lovely but it was also messy. The ellipsis was fast but it was also confusing and in many cases wasn't even used how Microsoft meant it to be used. Yes the design was simple but it wasn't iOS simple it was barren simple. There was just so much black (or white) with nothing in it.
Windows 10 Mobile wants to give people familiarity. It wants to remove the pivots where there's a lot of pages or information (because swiping through forty pages isn't as fast as two taps) and replace them with hamburger menus, which are familiar to people. Then it wants to improve pivots where they are superior (like in Photos and Phone). And only use the ellipsis for what it was supposed to be used for: actions on that particular page. Also, Windows 10 Mobile is more colorful than Windows Phone 8.1, and is more solid feature wise. No, it's not perfect, but you can't really expect that at this point. Just continue giving feedback and slowly Windows 10 Mobile will improve.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
They removed the hamburger menu because it wasn't necessary in that application. Hamburger menus are supposed to be used to store large amounts of information and pages. If there's only 2-3 pages and Settings, like Photos or Phone, then there's no point to the hamburger menu. The ellipsis was never meant for navigation.

That's funny because it works pretty well for putting things away neatly but also in a convenient spot (bottom of the screen). The same cannot be said for the hamburger menu which you can only access by tapping at the far left corner. You can't even swipe it open lke you can with the ellipsis menu or even on lowly Android. How is that easier or faster?

No, it's not perfect, but you can't really expect that at this point. Just continue giving feedback and slowly Windows 10 Mobile will improve.

True. With enough feedback and a few years it might almost be as intuitive and user friendly as it was before.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
That's funny because it works pretty well for putting things away neatly but also in a convenient spot (bottom of the screen). The same cannot be said for the hamburger menu which you can only access by tapping at the far left corner. You can't even swipe it open lke you can with the ellipsis menu or even on lowly Android. How is that easier or faster?

True. With enough feedback and a few years it might almost be as intuitive and user friendly as it was before.
Microsoft never designed the ellipsis for navigation, and I know several users who didn't even realize the ellipsis could be tapped to open more options for a very long time. The hamburger menus definitely need to be improved (gesture support) but they're not horrible.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You guys go ahead and complain. I'm enjoying the new features of the OS. Eventually Microsoft will come to their senses and start adding pivots where hamburgers aren't necessary like the photos app.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's certainly happening, and I'm not a fan. This pop-out menu crap adds 1-2 steps to basically every function in the OS. What's more, it's ridiculous that the majority of folks are right-handed, so they put the button in the corner farthest from your hand. Given the increase in screen sizes in the last 3 years or so, I don't get that idea. They should have you select the menu button location, at the minimum, because ANY of the 3 corners not having it now would make more ergonomic sense.

I'm disappointed in the UI for apps now myself, that's what I'm getting at. On top of that, the music player's considerably worse, and the mail and calendar features are a bit bothersome to use as well. It's hard to tell what's unfinished/bugged and what's just going to either be a design change or left broken at release, because we know that we're not getting a complete OS at launch.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss