NFC Payments. Not heard anything about this for ages.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I have that turned on, but I have never seen any way to actually use it after the Softcard app disappeared... unless it "just works" somehow.

Remember there was an article saying Microsoft had registered to be a payment provider in every US state. Gotta be something left to announce at these presentations...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Tap to pay on WP did work for a very short time, after Softcard released an app. This was also necessary for certain Android carrier branded phones, but the Android app was available for awhile.

Soon after the WP app was released, Softcard sold their technology to Google, and then Softcard shut their doors. The WP app soon left us. This left WP without a tap to pay solution, as it stands today, at least in the US.

That's what I thought too, but people here are saying it works. So I'm wondering what's going on.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember there was an article saying Microsoft had registered to be a payment provider in every US state. Gotta be something left to announce at these presentations...

Hopefully.

That's what I thought too, but people here are saying it works. So I'm wondering what's going on.

I don't really know. Maybe some carriers outside of the US have their own solutions? I thought that something besides what is built in to the WP OS is needed.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft is working on it. It's built into the phones because of the app we had once that was pulled. Currently there is not an app available for making payments, at least here in the US. I'm not sure about elsewhere. If someone is using it, I'd like to know how and with what app.

My understanding, which may or may not be correct.

Microsoft will be putting out something more like Apple Pay, and compatible with it, but like I said earlier, it will require new hardware for iris scanning. That was the rumor, at least.

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is working on it. It's built into the phones because of the app we had once that was pulled by Google, as they didn't want any competition.

Microsoft will be putting out something more like Apple Pay, and compatible with it, but like I said earlier, it will require new hardware for iris scanning.
It makes sense that Microsoft is working on it, however someone earlier in the thread said they were using it right now. Maybe they're not in the US. Would be nice if Geedeeee would come back and clarify.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I can go Settings> Device>NFC on the latest Win 10 Mobile build, but under default payment card it says "None" and there is no way to add one, despite the fact that I have a credit and an ATM card linked to my Microsoft Account.

Burnnerman

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I would not be surprised with the push to the Chip & signature cards that NFC will start to disappear even though it was just gaining steam. They are trying to make cards more secure, which in theory would disable NFC, also any Chip/Signature readers I have seen do not have the NFC on them (not saying it does not exist, just not seen any).

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I would not be surprised with the push to the Chip & signature cards that NFC will start to disappear even though it was just gaining steam. They are trying to make cards more secure, which in theory would disable NFC, also any Chip/Signature readers I have seen do not have the NFC on them (not saying it does not exist, just not seen any).

Chip+ signature is the dumbest thing ever. It should be Chip+PIN like everywhere else in the world. American cards that require signatures will STILL not work in many places in Europe thanks to this.

I don't think this is related to mobile payments at all though.

VenumX

Aug 29, 2007
Visit site
you guys are all crazy, why would the option even be there for tap to pay if they were not planning on implementing it into the OS ? What is the use of making a resource string, the ui for it, the card selector if they were not going to implement the feature? Of course it will have mobile payments I am sure it requires some service to be active on microsoft's side and that is why it is not available to us.

As for the guy saying that tap to pay is working for him, i have used tap to pay on my windows phones for a long time, however they just updated the wallet app not to long ago and when they did that they dropped support for tap to pay, when you go to use it now, it fails. You can try it if you want to check for yourself :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is working on it..

That should become Microsoft's new slogan.... As a Windows Phone user from the first one I could get...No question I have heard that TONS of times...and even today 5-7 years later, I am STILL HEARING IT...

Microsoft "We're working on it" (fits perfect, huh ?)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
That should become Microsoft's new slogan.... As a Windows Phone user from the first one I could get...No question I have heard that TONS of times...and even today 5-7 years later, I am STILL HEARING IT...

Microsoft "We're working on it" (fits perfect, huh ?)

Haven't you heard? Microsoft is currently in the courts setting up a name change. In the future the company will be called, ComingSoon[SUP]TM[/SUP]

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
If this isn't included, why would an iOS or Android user "upgrade" to a phone with fewer features...MS still not leading, just staying behind

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
If this doesn't happen in the US, watch 2.7 get smaller and smaller. No one would switch from Android or iOS for a phone with less features plus no good apps.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234