NFC Payments. Not heard anything about this for ages.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I remember a few months ago a few articles mentioning how Microsoft was going to bring NFC payments with Windows 10. But not heard about this for a long time. With Apple pay out and Android pay coming very soon. Would love to know if we can expect to have this.

Of all the features out there this is the last one I would take.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

That's because you haven't used it. :smile:

Tap to pay, or maybe some other type of payment with mobile, is where the retail industry is headed in my opinion. A year ago Apple took something that Google had for a long time already and made it very user friendly. Seriously, there is no more convenient way to pay than Apple Pay, bar none! Samsung is taking tap to pay a step further with Samsung Pay, making it usable almost everywhere a credit card is swiped.

Hopefully Microsoft will surprise us on October 6. I would think though that we would have caught wind of something if it was going to be announced.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Don't worry. Doesn't look like MS will even give us the option. But this is why W10 mobile will fail to bring new customers. Limited features and pitiful app selection. Why would someone leave an iPhone for that

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
We, in the rest of the world, have chip cards. I haven't found a single vendor that does not have a reader. Can you say the same thing about your phone?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
At this time best is go to a MS Store pick up several expensive items and at cashier pull out your 950XL and tap while telling cashier here you got paid now give me my receipt.:angry:

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
At this time best is go to a MS Store pick up several expensive items and at cashier pull out your 950XL and tap while telling cashier here you got paid now give me my receipt.:angry:

^Good one :)

You could tell them their payment is "coming soon"

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It should work like this: Samsung Pay TV Commercial

Yeah, they are already doing a marketing blitz with this one. Comment from one of the guys in the clip, "Like Apple Pay? We don't support that". So they are dissing on Apple for requiring a special terminal or something, while the Samsung (not Android or Google, mind you) Pay just works. If this is how it ended up working with W10M then great, but I don't think we'll see it for a few more years.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what makes Samsung Pay different from Android Pay, but that's how Android Pay works on my Moto X. As long as the phone is unlocked I don't have to do anything at all besides put it on the terminal. Works great (except today at Office Max, but I think that was their fault - haven't had any issues elsewhere). The old WP app based solution was terribly inconvenient in comparison.

I assume that when/if a new, premium Microsoft phone comes out, this will be included. The market is maturing fast right now (though when I use my Moto X to pay, I still get questions and comments from cashiers who haven't seen it used before), and I think in 6 months it will be something that a new phone can't be without.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't know what makes Samsung Pay different from Android Pay

Samsung Pay has magnetic secure transmission support (acquired from LoopPay). Basically, even if a reader doesn't support NFC, you hold it up to the magnetic stripe reader, and it pulses the signal so that it recognizes it as if you had swiped your card.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what makes Samsung Pay different from Android Pay, but that's how Android Pay works on my Moto X.

I think what you missed from the ad is that the terminal does not have NFC. It is just a regular credit card terminal. As jhoff80 pointed out, Samsung Pay uses MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) to emulate a credit card. It creates a magnetic field with the information, and basically the terminal "thinks" you swiped a credit card. My wife has an S6 Edge, and we use it quite a bit, since a lot of places do not yet have NFC terminals.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think what you missed from the ad is that the terminal does not have NFC. It is just a regular credit card terminal. As jhoff80 pointed out, Samsung Pay uses MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) to emulate a credit card. It creates a magnetic field with the information, and basically the terminal "thinks" you swiped a credit card. My wife has an S6 Edge, and we use it quite a bit, since a lot of places do not yet have NFC terminals.

I did indeed miss that, since the terminal to me looked just like the terminals at Subway (which have Android Pay). Thanks for explaining the difference. That sounds like a neat idea - does it work as good in real life as it does in the ad? Samsung has been known to fudge the truth quite a bit in their ads (remember the "touch phones and transfer videos" ads...).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
does it work as good in real life as it does in the ad?

Yes it does actually work pretty much like the ad. I have found however that it can be difficult to find exactly where to place the phone. Sometimes you can see the contacts inside the swiping groove, but sometimes you cannot. I usually just kinda swipe the phone down the groove similar to how you would swipe a credit card. But it goes right through just like in the ad.

mazdarati220

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft dropped the ball on this too. Major banks just announced they'll be updating their ATMs to support Apple Pay and Android Pay. There's no Microsoft Pay to support nor are there even banking apps in the Windows store for these banks anyway. I'm gonna keep my Lumia 1020, but I'm tired of begging to Gabe Aul, Joe "I<3MyiPhone" Bellifore, and companies' twitter pages begging for app support. I was a Day One guy with my HTC Surround.... 6 years of slow movement and unkept promises is enough. I'll be getting a S7 for my daily driver. smh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte