Why can't I resize screens since Windows 10 upgrade?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

What can be fixed for the issue of being unable to minimize the screens or document windows since upgrading to windows 10? When clicking the small box up in the right corner nothing happens. I also can't resize from either side of an open document. Help?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Check if you aren't running in tablet mode. Open notifications center and check if the "tablet" toggle is highlighted, if it is, click or tap on it to turn it off. Report back :)

KenYankee

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Check if you aren't running in tablet mode. Open notifications center and check if the "tablet" toggle is highlighted, if it is, click or tap on it to turn it off. Report back :)

I feel like the stupiderest man on the planet after approximately 90 minutes attempting much more complicated fixes via Teamviewer after Mom 'pressed something and Windows went crazy'.

Then I found this post. And while I do indeed feel like a fool...thank you. ;-)

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, this is Continuum for you. Automatically switches to the correct mode, does it? Well, only when it feels like it. One of my devices is a convertible, and when I swing it round into tent, presentation or tablet positions W10 does indeed change modes appropriately. If I switch off the PC however, and then switch it on again later, it will power up in whatever mode it was in when I last used it and fails to detect the position the device is in. This happens for everyone who uses Continuum, not just me. It makes the concept pretty unusable as you have to manually take control. All this when W8 implicitly switched between modes so that when you used the desktop, you had a desktop style of operation. Swing your device round to a touch position and Metro was already there. Now we get a fiddly mess.

And the reason this happens? MS forgot to add the option to power on in the appropriate mode, as you can see in the Continuum options in the settings app. That's all there is to it. How this was missed in testing totally confounds me, as it was so widely trialled. But can we persuade MS to get off their behinds and enable the option so that Continuum works as designed/advertised? You guess.

Could be improved simply by adding a key press shortcut and a script control to switch between modes (like most other Windows functions allow), then we could write our own routines to make W10 operate correctly and even make swipes or mouse buttons flick this unnecessary Metro mode switch. Unfortunately this was removed during pre-release testing to ensure users are not able to fix things because that would be too easy.

One day, perhaps they will take a look at their flagship feature of Windows 10 and decide to make it work properly. Hopefully before Windows 11 is released.

D_M1

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
Hah! This is Win 10, I don't have a Start Menu, what chance of getting to notification centre?

Complete load of horse-crap. Windows 10 had a start menu from the beginning. You simply need to deactivate the tablet mode of you want to SEE it again - alternatively, you could switch the menu back to desktop mode whilst keeping tablet mode on

KelDoll

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
OH MY GOSH same thing happened to me.. i was in tablet mode! You have made my day ven07!!! God bless you today and always!! i've literally been racking my brain, Why won't my windows resize UGHHH you saved me! ♥♥♥

megsateennow

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site

I went to tablet mode settings and changed everything to desktop mode, told it never to change without me saying so, still didn't work. So I closed everything, restarted my laptop, still won't allow me to resize the screen! Any other suggestions?

Elise1000

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
I know this thread is pretty old but can't go without (registering at site) just to reply: THANK YOU. I'm so happy to see from other posters I'm not only person who's gone crazy for hour+ trying to search and remedy. Clearly Microsoft does not understand how frustrating this is because this answer popped up nowhere else.

AAAgh. thanks for letting me vent. Switching out of tablet mode fully fixed issue. A MacBook user with a new Surface Pro and this was about to make me chuck the whole system...

mmm-it

Aug 13, 2019
Visit site
Problem persists in NON TABLET Mode on Win10 Enterprise PC with very small screen in Portrait mode. There seem to be a limit to resize dialogs in width when using a 800x480 screen with a windows 10 PC ... This problem didn't exist on windows 7 and even large scale software like e.g. Notepad++ is concerned by the problem... When reading about the tablet mode I checked and its off, I even tried to switch it on and then off to be sure but even without tablet mode this restriction exists... and depending on the size of certain dialogs the problem is that certain elements of the dialog are not reachable !
E.g. if a save button in a file save dialog which is overwriting the Resize is not working in Windows 10 but in Windows 7 it worked fine ... this is not good for the image of Windows 10 ...
So where does this limitation in resize come from ?
Would greatly appreaciate some ideas ... that you can even email me to info (at) mmm-it (dot) com if you encountered similar problems and solved it ...
Best regards
Martin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)