Option to uninstall is unavailable from the Start Menu

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, I have yet another problem with Windows 10. I noticed today on my laptop that that when I right click on an application from the start menu there are options such as Pin to Start, Pin to Taskbar, Uninstall, Run as Administrator and Open File Location. However, when I right click on an application on my desktop PC, the only option I have available is Pin to Start. Has anyone seen this behavior and have fixed there PC so it shows the other options? If so, let me know how you fixed it.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok.. there are certain apps that don't give you the option of uninstalling them.. Those are mostly the apps that were developed by MS (weather, mail photos etc). The apps you have installed (eg vlc) can be uninstalled after right-clicking on them. This is an intentional move as far as I can tell..

Now if you mean that you can't uninstall programs you had before upgrading to 10, then that's sth different, but I think that you can still remove them via control panel

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok.. there are certain apps that don't give you the option of uninstalling them.. Those are mostly the apps that were developed by MS (weather, mail photos etc). The apps you have installed (eg vlc) can be uninstalled after right-clicking on them. This is an intentional move as far as I can tell..

Now if you mean that you can't uninstall programs you had before upgrading to 10, then that's sth different, but I think that you can still remove them via control panel

In my case it doesn't matter what application you right click on it only has the option to "Pin to Start"

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Note that I found a related issue on my PC that's similar. If I search for something like CMD or Powershell from the search dialog box and then right click on the file in the search results list the only option available there is to "Pin to start". If I do the same thing on my laptop it provides me with a list of options one of which is to "run as administrator". I can drill down in and find the app and right click on it in file explorer and I will see the option to run as administrator but not from the Windows 10 search box.

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm just updating this post to let folks know that I never did find a solution to the issues I reported in this thread. My "solution" was to do a Windows reset which deleted everything from my HD and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10. After a fresh copy of Windows 10 was reinstalled, I reinstalled my apps and restored my data, I'm good to go.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm just updating this post to let folks know that I never did find a solution to the issues I reported in this thread. My "solution" was to do a Windows reset which deleted everything from my HD and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10. After a fresh copy of Windows 10 was reinstalled, I reinstalled my apps and restored my data, I'm good to go.
Just an observation:

I've NEVER been pleased with an "in-place" Windows upgrade. They're messy, and don't seem to get things right. Starting fresh just seems better somehow; it's a pain to reinstall Office, ACT!, Quickbooks, Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection (and all the Dreamweaver extensions!), and all the utilities. But in the long run it eliminates all the little irritations (and sometimes the big ones).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss