What happened to my desktop after the update?

David Butler1

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
No desktop after update

Got a humdinger of a fault on the HP Laptop.........

After a Win10 update for Windows Defender and Synaptic Touchpad device on restart I lost my Desktop Mode - the background picture is there and the desktop icons appear briefly and it then goes to a Metro start up with a reduced set of tiles and the desktop one missing as below.

Desktop.jpg

There's no right click menu to give me the Taskbar Properties option on the taskbar, just a simple menu that shows 3 options " Show app icons"; "Show all notification icons" and "Show touch keyboard icon". At least the 1st option gives me my original taskbar Icons for my common use programs. System restore from the control panel fails from any previous restore - something about a missing file. The Win10 Settings restore is useless as it it removes all your installed programs!

When changing programs it does try to go to the Desktop mode, albeit without the Icons.

Just wondering if it's because I can no longer revert to Win 8.1 due to the timeout ? Googling problem doesn't come up with any clues.cry

Still, at least I can still use the PC, just have to adapt my method of working!hmm

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I know this is going to be a stupid thing to ask but can I assume you opened the Action Centre and check if tablet mode is enabled?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
enable-tablet-mode-windows-10.jpg

it's obvious by your screenshot that you are on tablet mode by the arrow you got on the desktop. you know that's the continuum feature that was advertised. although some laptops get it, like my dad's laptop has this mode and it's not a touch screen device.

also you can use settings to enable or disable these stuff.

windows-10-tablet-mode-settings.jpg

Tcumberl

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Thanks for the info--I did not know there was a tablet mode.
I wish Microsoft would take the hint and stop trying to force Windows 10 on us---everyone
hates it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12