Hey all.. I just reserved my copy of Windows 10 a couple days ago.. But i read an article stating that i should back up using system image under file recovery.. But i don't have an external hard drive.. And i heard that it not a good idea to back up on DVD blanks... Is there an option to do the full back up on OneDrive?
    09-05-2015 10:15 PM
    Please help
    09-07-2015 04:26 PM
    There's no option on OneDrive - OneDrive often doesn't have that much space, and internet speeds aren't quite at practical levels for entire images.

The decision to do a full backup is smart, but if you have the time, you can just save files and reinstall in case the worst happens.
    Many got away with just an upgrade and you likely will too.
    Orlando Parkinson likes this.
    09-07-2015 10:20 PM
    A backup somewhere (DVD, OneDrive) is a good idea, but I haven't seen reports where the upgrade to Win10 nuked files or apps. I've now upgraded one machine twice, and I've had functionality issues with Win10, but it was quick and easy to revert to my previous version of Windows, and everything worked as before. (But it's only quick and easy for the first month after the upgrade; after that you might have to re-install your previous version of
    Windows.)
    09-08-2015 08:44 PM
    i am going to buy a pack of dvd blanks to do my backup... thanks for the reply
    09-09-2015 11:11 AM
    To be honest, I would only bother backing up my data (everything in Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos).

It's not really practicable to back up your programs, because if it all goes pear-shaped you'll be FAR better off reinstalling them. As others have said, it's unlikely they'll get nuked, but if they do it's not the end of the world.

By far the biggest value in your computer is in your data files. Regardless of upgrades, you should always have them backed up.
    09-09-2015 02:46 PM
    Ok... Thanks for the advice
    09-09-2015 08:02 PM
    Also, if you can afford it, get an external hard disk instead of dvds. That way you can backup and Deke and backup again at different times.
    09-09-2015 08:45 PM
    To echo Rising Mos' comments, definitely back up personal data including any Outlook PST files (if you use Outlook), internet favourites etc and restore. I upgraded first, then did a fresh install. I used an external HDD to store my docs, pics, etc then copied everything back. I downloaded up to date versions of additional software I used which is a lot quicker.
    09-10-2015 07:34 AM